SASS Wire Forum

Can cause cancer???

I just purchased a Veritas Cornering Tool Set and it's got a sticker on the side that say: "WARNING:  Notice to California Residents:  This product can expose you to wood dust, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer.  For more information go to www.P65Warnings.Ca.gov"

A hand planer for crying out loud!

To all our California pards:  I really feel for you! :angry:

Sadly, that prop 65 is posted on just about everything.  So, if there was a pool full of Camp Lejeune water in front of me with the prop 65 warning on it, I would likely ignore the warning and wade right in.  When everything is marked dangerous... nothing is treated as being so.  It is impossible to live and move throughout your day without coming in contact with 500 different items labeled with a prop 65 warning.

image.png.92613b2f33f6511601d037a22b3bb29c.png

All the better to fire those 45ACP snake shot loads.  :D

Never noticed that, or just wasn't looking for it.  I downloaded the 45 model from somewhere a long time ago.  I added the prop 65 warning more than a few years ago.  Maybe, if I get bored and have the time I will have to model the rifling into that barrel.

Maybe they are looking at it from the wrong perspective!!

Maybe the label should read “Caution!! California may cause cancer!”

41 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I'm waiting for the day I step outside and there are little parachutes coming down with Prop 65 signs warning that breathing the Los Angeles air causes cancer.... :blink:

Capture.JPG.263a4507cd2a3751e87cb29bd5acb5c3.JPG

I'll just plop this down here:

Exposure to wood dust has been associated with health issues due to the natural chemicals in the wood, or substances in the wood such as bacteria, moulds, or fungi.

Wood dust is considered carcinogenic to humans (Group 1) according to the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). IARC states that wood dust causes cancer of the nasal cavity (nose area) and paranasal sinuses (spaces in and around the nasal cavity) and of the nasopharynx (upper part of the throat, behind the nose).

Wood dust is also associated with toxic effects, irritation of the eyes, nose and throat, dermatitis, and respiratory system effects which include decreased lung capacity and allergic reactions.

41 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I'll just plop this down here:

Exposure to wood dust has been associated with health issues due to the natural chemicals in the wood, or substances in the wood such as bacteria, moulds, or fungi.

Wood dust is considered carcinogenic to humans (Group 1) according to the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). IARC states that wood dust causes cancer of the nasal cavity (nose area) and paranasal sinuses (spaces in and around the nasal cavity) and of the nasopharynx (upper part of the throat, behind the nose).

Wood dust is also associated with toxic effects, irritation of the eyes, nose and throat, dermatitis, and respiratory system effects which include decreased lung capacity and allergic reactions.

In California virtually everything has been found to cause cancer, which makes that Prop 65 warning useless.  As an example, the California Office of Health Hazard Assessment decided to require coffee to carry a P-65 warning label.

Various studies have shown that acrylamide increases the risk of cancer in lab animals. However, as the National Cancer Institute and the American Cancer Society point out, no scientific studies convincingly link acrylamide in food to an increased risk of cancer in humans. In June 2016, after thoroughly reviewing over 1,000 studies, the International Agency for Research on Cancer reported that coffee drinking is “unclassifiable” as to its risk of causing cancers in humans due to “inadequate evidence,” downgrading their original 1991 classification of coffee as “possibly carcinogenic to humans.”

California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (“OEHHA”) Regulation Provides Resolution

Despite the lack of a convincing link between acrylamide in food and an increased risk of cancer in humans, the coffee acrylamide litigation had been moving along since 2010. The coffee roasters and retailers lost a phase 1 trial, and several defendants had agreed to post the cancer warnings and pay millions in a settlement as the litigation moved along. In June 2019, the OEHHA, the state’s lead agency for implementation of Prop 65, adopted a regulation stating that exposure to chemicals in coffee that are created by and inherent in the process of coffee bean roasting and brewing do not pose a significant risk of cancer, exempting coffee from a Prop 65 cancer warning. OEHHA’s creation of this exemption came after FDA issued a statement in 2018 strongly supporting such a regulation. On August 25, 2020, Judge Elihu M. Berle granted summary judgment for the defendants, ruling that the defendant coffee purveyors had successfully relied on the OEHHA’s regulation to show that acrylamide found in coffee doesn’t cause cancer.

Acrylamide in Coffee Fight Highlights the Debated Value of Prop 65 Warnings

The debate over the value of Prop 65 warnings will continue when chemicals (such as acrylamide) with no proven cancer risk to humans at relevant exposure levels remain on the list. Requiring businesses to label food products as causing cancer when the scientific evidence does not prove the ingredients cause cancer in humans is problematic on many levels. Additionally, there are concerns about the burden placed on consumers to determine which Prop 65 warnings are legitimate and which warnings are not truly supported by scientific evidence. At least for now, businesses will only have to worry about warning consumers about the temperature of the coffee they serve.

Took a decade in court to override the petty burrocrats (sic).

I've seen the warning on micrometers, digital calipers, billets of aluminum and steel.  

:ph34r:  I own/operate a retail store selling outdoor supplies, military surplus, camping and backpacking gear.  I get merchandise from suppliers all over the country, and they have to label 99% of the items with Prop 65 warning labels.  I got so tired of re-attaching labels which had fallen off I put several large signs in each area of the store saying "Just consider that every damn thing in this establishment has been deemed by the State of California to cause cancer.  And beware....birth WILL result in death!".  Everything from P-38's to canvas shoulder bags with nickel-plated hardware, pocket knives, many clothing items, whistles, compasses, tents, fuel cans, the list goes on...and on.

The extra labor involved in labeling these items is reflected in costs.  :(

Especially dust from hardwoods (oak, beech etc.) is quite unhealthy to inhale. I learned that when I was working for a company that manufactured power tools. But it needs quite an exposure to it, so for the hobby wood worker the risk is relatively low. However, I always wear a dust mask when I use a sander, router or planer at home.

Please remember that there was a time when it was normal for people to work on asbestos without any PPE...

16 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Maybe they are looking at it from the wrong perspective!!

Maybe the label should read “Caution!! California may cause cancer!”

California will cause mental problems and idiocy, wreck your tranquility, and destroy your faith in government employees be they elected, appointed, or hired.

As said the dust of all wood is harmful and some are downright dangerous.  Probably more so is the danger of fungal infection from wood exposed to moldy conditions and then when sawn or sanded the worker inhales  pathogenic fungi incredibly difficult to treat.  Heck even breathing dust from potting soil is hazardous....

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

California will cause mental problems and idiocy, wreck your tranquility, and destroy your faith in government employees be they elected, appointed, or hired.

I agree with you even though my children are both employed by CA government agencies.  3 of my 4 grandchildren are property of uncle sugar & none will relocate to CA after their service.  The 4th is a senior at a CA State Univ. & she hasn't stated to her parents what her post graduation plans are.

Archived