SASS Wire Forum

Kirst Konverstions; Pietta vs Uberti

Obi2winky

Hello,

I've been interested in getting a Colt 1851 Navy then having a Kirst Konversion installed. I vaguely remember reading something somewhere about fitment issues between Piettas and Kirst parts because Pietta changed something and Kirst parts never updated the dimensions accordingly. Is this true? If I want to pursue this project, any thing I should watch out for or gunsmiths you guys recommend?

thanks!

I don't know but keep in mind that converting a .36 to .38 will have an oversize bore and need special ammo or a bore liner to shoot accurately. (Although my Uberti '61 with a Kirst  has an unlined bore and my regular .38's are accurate enough at typical CAS distances)

Kirst recommends you use hollow-base bullets for the .38 conversions on .36 pistols. The bore is a little larger (.365 vs .358) than a .38 Spl and the hollow base helps the bullet to "bump up" to fill the larger bore.

Kirst's conversions for Piettas and Ubertis are very well made.  Both Ubertis and Piettas may require some minor fitting when installing the conversion.  I know Kirst's "gun mechanic" very well and he is great at helping customers do the conversions themselves, or if they choose, (for a fee) complete the work for them.

Some Uberti customers are not enthralled with the new "safety hammer" being used by Uberti, but, to my knowledge, there are know major issues with Pietta revolvers.  I have many different pairs of pistols to shoot, but currently I'm using Piettas tuned by Kirst's gun guy and I'm very happy with them.

Didn't say the Kirst Konverters for Pietta and Uberti wern't well made.  They are very well made indeed.  However, the "fit" of the '51 .44 Ejector Assemble is abysmal.  Flops around like a dead fish.  Weebles Wobble but they don't fall down!

No implied insult Colorado, I also have own a Kirst Pietta 1860 Colt conversion and it has no problems.  My Kirst installer friend currently has 1851 conversions on his work bench.  I'll have to take a look and see what you mean next time I visit his shop.

TN Mongo,  No insult taken.  As an additional, I also built a pair of 1860s with Kirst Konverters and they went together slicker than snot onna doorknob.  Fit and finish is/was sweet.  I was some surprised at the poor fit of the 1851 Ejector Assemblies.  One was awful and the other was abysmal.

Now the rub.  I don't actually know if the fit problem is because of changes in Pietta machining, or Kirst.  I actually suspect it's 60/40, being changes with Pietta.  I haven't taken the time yet to commune with Walt Kirst and ask of him the problem.  Right now, I have the '51 Conversions working, just not quite up to snuff.

On 10/4/2022 at 1:42 PM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Can't help with the '51, but I have a pair of '58 Rems (Piettas) with Kirst Konverters and they work great!

PICS!!!! (mine are in my avatar)

Archived