SASS Wire Forum

Moose and grouse.

Dirty Dan Dawkins

Deer meat is called venison. Or just deer meat around here in rural Georgia. Moose, I wasn't sure what you called the meat, but the wife and I settled on "better than beef." Actually "WAY better than beef" after eating steaks last night from that big spike my son killed.  

As to grouse, I'd hunt them things everyday if they were around here like in those Maine North woods roads. Those little rascals, me and the boy think, are the best poultry we've tasted.  Taste like chicken, but the breast are juicy and have a richer flavor straight up like chicken stock without all of the oil and fat.

27 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The reason chicken breasts are so tasteless is that they don’t fly. The breast muscles are the things that work the wings. No fly, no blood, white meat. Grouse fly.

Free range taste better than straight pellet fed. Catfish fed straight diet of pellets (dog food basically) I can’t eat it’s so awful.

Also commercial chicken feed has trace amounts of arsenic to cause water retention , creating size and further reducing flavor. Copper sulfate is sometimes added to add color to skin (yellowish hue). At least that’s what a guy working at Tyson told me.

19 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Moose = Swamp Donkey in places up here.

They’re definitely all leg. Boy dropped him with a 270 and a 140 interlock to the neck at 30 yards. I put a 180 grain interlock from an ‘06 just to make noise. Near side lung looked like it was put in a blender. Far side 1/3 of the lung equaled blendered result. Bullets did what was needed.
We felt like a draft horse walked up when he came out, but my 11 y/o is a stone cold killer. Did not flinch, shake, breath hard or heart race. TCB. Just a little grin. That moose was taller than me at the hump and I’m 6’2”.

Squirrel!  Don't forget yummy Squirrel~!!  :)

image.png.d8d928be7d3f221b2d4ca83cc82e09aa.png        image.png.92342d351fac509473ab226928216ffb.png

2 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Squirrel!  Don't forget yummy Squirrel~!!  :)

image.png.d8d928be7d3f221b2d4ca83cc82e09aa.png        image.png.7153497ae64344531ddba0741254dbdb.png

We have friends with hawks. Falconry is next on the agenda

5 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

They’re definitely all leg. Boy dropped him with a 270 and a 140 interlock to the neck at 30 yards. I put a 180 grain interlock from an ‘06 just to make noise. Near side lung looked like it was put in a blender. Far side 1/3 same result. Bullets did what was needed.
We felt like a draft horse walked up when he came out, but my 11 y/o is a stone cold killer. Did not flinch, shake, breath hard or heart race. TCB. Just a little grin. That moose was taller than me at the hump and I’m 6’2”.

Once you pull that trigger, the fun is over!!

Up here we've learned to hold off pulling the trigger until it either starts to get away or it gets into a better position to drop it.

Nothing like pulling a moose out of a Northern Ontario swamp, in the dark, then having to start cutting it into commercial cuts you can pack out, otherwise the wolves will clean things up.

I grew to detest the Canadian Army Pack Frame, "The Iron Maiden".

9 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

We have friends with hawks. Falconry is next on the agenda

So who gets to eat the squirrel... the falconer or the falcon~?   :huh:

27 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

They’re definitely all leg. Boy dropped him with a 270 and a 140 interlock to the neck at 30 yards. I put a 180 grain interlock from an ‘06 just to make noise. Near side lung looked like it was put in a blender. Far side 1/3 same result. Bullets did what was needed.

For a minute, I thought your son shot a grouse with a .270 !  Talk about looking like something put through a blender !!!  

40 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

For a minute, I thought your son shot a grouse with a .270 !  Talk about looking like something put through a blender !!!  

Tried to head shoot a rabbit with my .270 once. Hit a little low. It was a crater in the muck with feet and head left. Not good.

2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I took a variety of loads to try. I heard everyone say from 7 1/2 game loads up to #4’s. One load was a heavy pheasant load of #5 1 1/4 oz at 1550 fps. I hit one square in the breast that was bobbing around in thick brush at 15-20 feet. The head was slap gone, legs still attached to perfectly intact rib cage and all the feathers. But no internal organs remained. It was quite spectacle-ed…..bird.

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Once you pull that trigger, the fun is over!!

Up here we've learned to hold off pulling the trigger until it either starts to get away or it gets into a better position to drop it.

Nothing like pulling a moose out of a Northern Ontario swamp, in the dark, then having to start cutting it into commercial cuts you can pack out, otherwise the wolves will clean things up.

I grew to detest the Canadian Army Pack Frame, "The Iron Maiden".

I was schooled why the “Amish machine gun” in 30-06 is popular by one of the guides.

My guide, on the other hand, hunts with a Model 7 in 7-08 said he prefers neck shots right in neck then pump all he can into the vitals.

We witnessed recovery on one that was gut shot with no blood trail. Dogs were brought in to find it. Even with motorized equipment and 4-5 guys it took a couple hours to get it to the road. We had 2 hunters in camp  that were lousy shots and he had no backup from a sub permittee nor did their guides carry a backup guns with them. I’ll pm you sometime on this guys week. I found several points from questionable to ridiculous on the hunter’s part, and the guides, though good at calling and scouting, exhibited some inexperience and questionable decision making. The guides all in all were one of the hardest working most dedicated bunch of guys I’ve hunted with. Their woodsmanship in general was above the guys I generally hunt with. My guide, definitely the most experienced in camp,  had the slickest setup to get a whole moose into the bed of a truck I’ve ever seen. By himself. 

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So who gets to eat the squirrel... the falconer or the falcon~?   :huh:

Feeds the bird through the year. They have a freezer for bird feed: the whole thing, fur guts and all. 

4 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I was hunting with another "dude" up in Montana years ago. It was sleeting/freezing rain. We were looking for mulies or elk, but had seen nothing. (They were smart, hold up somewhere). I pulled into a clump of trees and finally got a fire going. (Down to my last match, which I struck on the checkering of my rifle. Heard a shot. Pard comes walking in and pulls a quail or grouse out of his coat. He shot it off the limb of a tree with a .270 that took the head clean off! We shared the bird which we cooked over the fire! 

Here in the states venison seems to only mean deer, although I believe it encompasses whitetail, black tail, mulie, elk, and moose (along with any foreign types brought over and stuck in hunting ranches). But only deer.

In Europe, on the other hand, my understanding is venison means wild game. So stag is venison, but so is boar.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Here in the states venison seems to only mean deer, although I believe it encompasses whitetail, black tail, mulie, elk, and moose (along with any foreign types brought over and stuck in hunting ranches). But only deer.

In Europe, on the other hand, my understanding is venison means wild game. So stag is venison, but so is boar.

In Germany venison is Hirschfleisch. Literally Deermeat

13 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I thought venison encompassed all game animals.  Or at least all of the larger four -footed game animals.

That may be, but of whitetail deer elk and moose, all taste distinctly different.

In one of the versions of Miracle on 34th Street (I think it was the made for TV starring Sebastian Cabot - there were two theatricals and at least two televisions, Cabot and Thomas Mitchell (who played the drunken Dr Boone in Stagecoach with John Wayne), Kris is invited to dinner with the lawyer and the mother. The lawyer had a friend up in New England who was a hunter, and he got a deer and gave the lawyer a roast. And as Kris turns down the invitation, said that he really appreciated it but,  "venison - I just couldn't".

8 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Squirrel=Chicken of the Tree.

I finally looked it up.

"venison, (from Latin venatus, “to hunt”), the meat from any kind of deer; originally, the term referred to any kind of edible game."

Back in the '60s one of my dad's friends hunted a lot.  He called everything except fowl venison.

OBA_TRANS.png

20 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I took a variety of loads to try. I heard everyone say from 7 1/2 game loads up to #4’s. One load was a heavy pheasant load of #5 1 1/4 oz at 1550 fps. I hit one square in the breast that was bobbing around in thick brush at 15-20 feet. The head was slap gone, legs still attached to perfectly intact rib cage and all the feathers. But no internal organs remained. It was quite spectacle-ed…..bird.

I’ve hunted grouse my entire life. 1oz of 8 or 7.5’s going 1200 fps is all you need. A 20ga is generally easier to carry all day . And a good pointing dog definitely increases your odds 

On 10/3/2022 at 3:26 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The reason chicken breasts are so tasteless is that they don’t fly. The breast muscles are the things that work the wings. No fly, no blood, white meat. Grouse fly.

So do quail and they have white meat . Wild Turkey fly to.......just sayin.................

2 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

So do quail and they have white meat . Wild Turkey fly to.......just sayin.................

I know that wild turkeys don’t fly much around here not like ducks and geese, I don’t know about quail. Ducks and geese go one major expeditions.

Archived