SASS Wire Forum

What other shooting sports do you like?

Vail Vigilante

With me, sporting clays, either 5 stand or real, 3 gun, "alpahbet soup" tactical pistol games, going to give PRS a whirl.

I have noticed that I not longer care much for just sitting at a bench making bugholes, or the lack thereof.

I like to move around.

I like a dove hunt or a predator hunt every now and again.

I have pretty much given up on trap, skeet,  various "stationary bullseye" (except for long yardage), and I like a steel target for that one too.

These days, in addition to cowboy shooting, I shoot skeet and dabble in sporting clays.

I've shot the local versions of IPSC, IDPA, Steel Challenge, bowling pin shoots, man on man plate shoots, a little trap and even a full auto shoot using a semi-automatic carbine.

I like Rimfire Challenge, shooting steel targets with various.22 handguns and rifles.

You're timed and you have to make up misses unlike cowboy.

Muzzleloader, percussion and flintlock, occasionally get to play with a matchlock and a Wheelock, both built by a local craftsman in his 80's.

I recently did a GSSF Indoor Match. Glock Shooting Sports Foundation. It was fun, but it was short because I only shot one gun. I wasn’t sure how things worked so I made it simple. The match series is shot 3 times 1 month apart. At the end of the series the scores are tallied and there is a chance to win a Glock pistol and other prizes. 

Honestly, these days Cowboy Action is pretty much it. I will go out on occasion and air out my trap guns with some friends, but even though I'm a Life Member of the Amateur Trapshooting Association, when I lost my shooting partner (my father-in-law) it lost some of its zest for me. I've shot some registered birds since, but I look down the line and don't see him, and something is missing.

I would love to just go plinking with my brother, but my schedule, his health and distance to our place in Kentucky makes it a challenge.

CAS these days.

Used to shoot Duello and National Match, then PPC etc. on our departments indoor range.

Today, other than CAS, It's my Buffalo Rifles with my Sharps and my HI Wall.

.45-70's of course.

1874 Sharps (Pedersoli) close-up side view 013 (3).JPG

1885 Hiwall in .45-70 with Lyman sight 015.JPG

1874 Sharps (Pedersoli) with vernier sight and Hadley eyepiece 013 (2).JPG

CAS and gonna try skeet to learn a little bit about hitting moving birds. Got tired of prima donnas and cutthroats in 3gun, IPSC and other disciplines over the years.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Honestly, these days Cowboy Action is pretty much it. I will go out on occasion and air out my trap guns with some friends, but even though I'm a Life Member of the Amateur Trapshooting Association, when I lost my shooting partner (my father-in-law) it lost some of its zest for me. I've shot some registered birds since, but I look down the line and don't see him, and something is missing.

I would love to just go plinking with my brother, but my schedule, his health and distance to our place in Kentucky makes it a challenge.

Have not shot a rabbit since my pa passed away. Someday 

I shoot ASI Action Shooting International. Rosco useing a 5 shot revolver.Need to get back into long range with the sharps or Springfield.

Largo

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

...when I lost my shooting partner (my father-in-law) it lost some of its zest for me. I've shot some registered birds since, but I look down the line and don't see him, and something is missing.

Same for me.
Ed was age 93 and a trap shootin' crazy man.
I stopped by his place, and every room in the house was converted to a reloading room after his wife passes.

He had more 20 gauge hulls, hundreds of pounds of shot, primers, for more than the rest of his life.
His daughter forced him to move in with her over in NV, so our group no longer shoots together.

2020.10.01-Trap-Group-08.levels.burn.sfw.jpg

Used to be a buckskinner (Worked at The Flintlock in Anaheim for a lot of years), was pretty active in CAS, and got in some upland game hunting.  Way back I hunter deer, elk, an occasional bears ,and coyotes and got a single pronghorn

Still have most of my gear, but my legs haven't let me do much for about the last ten years....longer for hunting....including SASS events.  Now I just collect / acquire and fondle guns and go out to the range a few times a year.

Weekly trap night, SASS, and taking my various black guns and modern pistols to the pistol and rifle club with my son to mag-dump some lead into steel targets for giggles.  also like shooting long distance - 600-700 yards with my Rem 700 in 308. used to do IDPA and practical carbine but not any more   

Long range handgun shooting.  I was an early member of IHMSA (& NRA versions too).

I was on the CONG rifle Team ('86 to '89) and NENG Pistol team ('90 to '13). 

Because I'm an idiot I have started playing around with a Flintlock Jager Rifle and a Flintlock smoothbore dueling pistol.

When I need a break from bashing my head against a wall, I do a bit of BP pistol target shooting and some long-range buffalo Rifle shooting (well longish the range is only 600m long).

Wild Bunch, IDPA, USPSA, 3Gun, Pro Steel, Steel Challenge, NRL22.  

I ain't fast at any of them, but I'm still pretty accurate, and I have fun.

I’m winding down. All things must come to an end.

I reckon I like 'em all, I just haven't tried 'em all yet. I have the guns to shoot most anything, but... Montana. Six months of shooting and six months sitting in front of the fireplace combined with low population density - a mere million people in the 4th largest state - means there just aren't enough interested parties to shoot XYZ discipline every month. Twenty shooters at a monthly Cowboy match is a great turnout, and half that is a lot more common. 

Does taking out a coyote from the back porch count? Varmint control around here. The County was glad to come pick it up.

BUG (Back Up Gun) and 2g-ACM (Two gun Action Challenge Match).

BUG with my carry gun, kinda like IDPA, but with out all the arguing.

2g-ACM is rifle and pistol, not like anything else. Very physical, lots of movement, carrying things, tough target presentations, five yards to 200 yards, steel, paper, swingers, spinners, plate racks, and a group of shooters second only to CAS shooters in attitude.  Oh yeah, they like to wear costumes also.

Archived