SASS Wire Forum

Land Run

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

1 hour ago, Will Kane said:

First time to Land Run. First time to a National. Really excited! Hoping to leave home around 5 a.m. Monday and arrive around sundown Monday.

I’ll be a couple of hours ahead of you! See you there! 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hells Comin said:

Eating lunch in Moriarty at Arby's 

Hells Comin 

Try Nachos there sometime.

The weather forecast for Land Run is great!  Should be a very pleasant match.

There was sunshine all day at the OKC gun range.  I thought I would set up my TT in the rain yesterday but found the OKC metro dry.

There's a group of us at the Twin Fountain RV Resort already, great times have already started.

I shot the first half of the Wild Bunch match this morning.  Stages were straightforward and well-balanced.  My posse (#3) had few procedurals but lots of 1911 malfunctions.  However, those fall on the shooter and not the match director.

E4D914D7-4F09-4C22-B094-11086B599A44.thumb.jpeg.438575c0747e8e7143b29fba70ac8471.jpegGuns and shooting gear checked, double checked & packed. I might have room for another derringer :D

17 guns

1040 rounds ammo (probably 3x what I need but once at an annual I got carried away at side matches and nearly ran out)

plus plenty of BP, percussion caps & balls for plainsman. I reckon I could fight my way in and out if Oklahoma if I have too!

now to load up suitcases and get a good nights sleep. Out of here 0500 tomorrow. 

25 minutes ago, Hoss said:

E4D914D7-4F09-4C22-B094-11086B599A44.thumb.jpeg.438575c0747e8e7143b29fba70ac8471.jpegGuns and shooting gear checked, double checked & packed. I might have room for another derringer :D

17 guns

1040 rounds ammo (probably 3x what I need but once at an annual I got carried away at side matches and nearly ran out)

plus plenty of BP, percussion caps & balls for plainsman. I reckon I could fight my way in and out if Oklahoma if I have too!

now to load up suitcases and get a good nights sleep. Out of here 0500 tomorrow. 

Have a safe trip, Hoss.   Sorry I missed it this year.

There was rain for the first stage of WB this morning but it quit after less than an hour.  The range is not muddy.  My posse had more equipment malfunctions and some squibs.  One fellow had to abandon his 45 ACP ammo and borrow from others.  I was satisfied the guns and ammo I brought all functioned.

I just pulled into a Hampton Inn at the East edge of Fort Smith for the night.  Didn't sleep worth a toot last night, with all the dreams of trainwrecks on tough stages.

I should check into Land Run tomorrow well before noon.

Made it to Edmond. Checked into Airbnb house. All good.  I think I passed Pissum Skinner back in N Texas 

I checked into the motel about 1:00, picked up my packet at the range about 3:00, looked around some then back to the motel and dinner tonight about 6:00. Tomorrow I have warm up at 8:00 am followed by Plainsman at noon.  Gonna be a busy day Tuesday, more free time on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I checked into the motel about 1:00, picked up my packet at the range about 3:00, looked around some then back to the motel and dinner tonight about 6:00. Tomorrow I have warm up at 8:00 am followed by Plainsman at noon.  Gonna be a busy day Tuesday, more free time on Wednesday.

Looking forward to meeting you at the plainsman match. 

Chili Pepper Pete ran an enjoyable Plainsman match and shot well himself.  I have a video on Itchy Trigger shooting his first match I will upload later.

53 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Chili Pepper Pete ran an enjoyable Plainsman match and shot well himself.  I have a video on Itchy Trigger shooting his first match I will upload later.

Had lots of fun. And thankful for the guy who invented the metallic cartridge. Cap  guns are a challenge!

13 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Cap  guns are a challenge!

what would be the fun if you pulled the trigger and it always went bang, you might as well have a Glock.    ;-)

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Is there a list of folks shooting?

Lumpy, you got older - at least your picture did!

9 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I bet the first wave is having fun right about now.

Stages were simple.  There were no procedurals on my posse but many misses from shooters who underestimated big, close targets.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:15 PM, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

It was a pleasure to meet you and shoot Plainsman with you, sir!

Archived