SASS Wire Forum

First outing with the Rossi 92.

Vail Vigilante

35 rounds down through the Rossi. It is a bit difficult to load.  This will need to be inspected for burrs and deburred. I’m not sure yet but I think the Mag spring is a bit heavy.  I plan on replacing the ejector spring. In terms of a larger action job I am going to hold off on that until I get some rounds through it. Shooting guns is sometimes the best way to get a action job. What spare parts should I keep around? Also about cleaning this. How do you guys do it? I saw a video about taking apart to access the chamber but this seems like a lot to do for a cleaning. Do you use a boresnake? Or just go from the muzzle end? Thanks

Shooting it will do little to make it smoother.  Buy the video from Steve's Guns. Also buy the ejector spring and a stainless steel follower.

The video will show you how thin the loading gate spring and how much to cut off the magazine spring. Both will make the 92 easier to load.

If you look closely you will notice that the loading gate in not perfectly in line with the magazine tube. It is slightly higher. This causes some bullet profiles to hang up on the frame vice going smoothly into the mag tube.  Two things are needed to fix this. First is shown in Steve's video. The other is how rounds are inserted into the loading gate. Try slightly angling the rounds as you insert them. With a little practice you'll get the hang of it. 

You will need a good set of jewlers files to do the action job on your Rossi. Pay special attention to how the cartridge stop spring is oriented on the LH cartridge guide. If you put it in the wrong way the cartridge stop will not work properly.

Below is a picture of a 45 Colt / 44 WCF cartridge guide/stop. The 357 is different but the spring orientation is the same.

When properly installed one end is under the cartridge stop and the end with the hole is standing out away from the cartridge guide assembly. When you press the hole end down and it is aligned with the screw hole the spring should lay flat against the cartridge guide.

resources?rid=70cf8ccdc9e019e26b170f92b3f45f1523b45d9157268467da9e8fca4615c0e0&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bevfitchett.us%2Fbrowning-b-92%2Fimages%2F2853_19_8-browning-cartridge-guide-spring.jpg&cid=__FGL__847662866de9a066ce6bedaf70b050068f83e0250000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000&bdk=cookiesEncryptionDisabled&eid=21

93513296_R92cartStopSpring.jpg.9e1544e023686a7c812b7160f2440482.jpg

If both ends are touching the cartridge guide and the middle is not the spring needs to be flipped.

I mostly shoot Black Powder and subs so I clean the action with  Ballistol and hot water. Flush it out good with hot water then spray in a little ballistol and cycle the action. Every few months I completely strip the gun and do a detailed cleaning. Been doing it this way for years and have not had any issues. On multi day matches I just apply a little Ballistol and wipe the gun down. Did a torture test using APP  and shot 6 stages a day for 3 consecutive days (total of 180+ rounds) without a problem. 

Clean the bore with a Remington Squeeg-E on a cable. Follow up with a Ballistol lubed patch.

Unless you loose a screw your Rossi is basically bullet proof. Use locktite on all the screws and check them before every match. 

I have put well over 50,000 rounds through mine with ZERO failures.

Dave is right... it will take far too long just shooting it to smooth out.  You can accomplish that & more in an evening's work.  As for spare parts, keep a firing pin handy, I have 3 Rossi 92s and have only broke one firing pin in nearly 40 years of ownership, but... having a spare on hand is good!  They give no indication of imminent failure.

1892 - Tune the Extractor.  Change out the Ejector Spring.  Tune or Change out the Main Spring.  Shim the right side Cartridge Guide if necessary (running .38s).  Then a little judicious rubbin-n-buffin of the moving parts.  OoPS: maybe a firing pin change.

I wonder if any railroad is missing the truck springs from their freight cars. I think Rossi stole a bunch of them to use as the ejector spring in their various versions of the '92? :rolleyes: I have two, one an older Puma in .44-40, and the other a Model 65 in .44 Mangle-em. I cut a turn-and-a-half off the ejector springs and compressed the daylights out of them in my bench vise. A little judicious polishing of the top rear of the locking lugs smoothed them up for me. This was before Steve's DVD and spring.

2 hours ago, Vail Vigilante said:

I am going to invest in Steve's DVD. Worth learning from him and it comes with the spring that is needed.

Get the stainless steel mag tube follower as well.  The plastic one that Rossi uses will give you all kinds of grief once you shorten the mag tube spring.

Good advice on the StevesGunz video and stainless follower/mag spring. The magazine on mine always got fowled and I use smokeless!

Nate Kiowa Jones (StevesGunz) knows 92s better than most and can steer ya right. Clean up some of the razor edges, lighten some springs, polish a couple things and disassemble to thoroughly clean every 3 or 4 months and enjoy. I've run my Rossi for 30 years with nary a problem, 'cept that dirty magazine thing.

I cleaned my mag tube really well and them polished the inside of it with a 45 caliber bore mop and a high quality car wax. 

Put the more mop on the end of a cleaning rod chucked up in my drill. Apply wax to the bore mop and then polish to a high shine.

Congrats on the gun.

I bought one at a LGS earlier this year in 357. It was one of the smoothest guns I've ever shot right out of the box. I ordered a spring kit anyway, cuz I like to tinker.

Mine had none of the sharp edges or parts that needed polishing a lot of youtube reviewers mentioned, but those videos were 6-7 years old. Or maybe the builder simply took his time with mine.

I changed out every spring but the mainspring (I think it was), because I had the kit and figured why not. It did make the lever easier to work.

I really like that rifle.

I bought mine used back in 2000 from a feller named Yellowhouse Sam.  .44-40.  I did the Steve’s gun job and it is one slick rifle.

i bought a .38/357 about six years ago, much slicker out of box that the earliest ones.

I’ve had a ‘73 and an ‘60, but my.44 Rossi is by far my favorite.

On the other hand I was never in the game for speed.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:51 PM, Vail Vigilante said:

I am going to invest in Steve's DVD. Worth learning from him and it comes with the spring that is needed.

That’s the ejector spring. An important improvement. Mainspring and mag spring tuning are addressed in the video. As Sedalia mentioned, get the SS mag follower. Depending on your model and if it has the bolt safety, get the plug the fills the hole when the safety is removed. You’ll be glad you did. 

A .25 ACP case can be cut down to fill the safety hole as well.

i love my rossi 92 , i shot it for years in this game before i switched to my 66 , i like the brass frame or i would still be shooting it , it has a good many thousand rounds through it and its been treated as a SASS tool since i bought it , they do smooth out with use as all of our tools do , ill never let mine go , its always a backup for my 66 - even before my 73 , i have always enjoyed shooting it , 

Archived