SASS Wire Forum

Peacemaker replica post shooting discussion

Vail Vigilante

So I bought a Cabelas Peacemaker from a friend. I have another, a Great Western which could be a clone of this one. The Cabelas one did not work at first. I traced the problem to a nasty burr around the firing pin hole. It would drag on the rims of the cartridges and jam.  So with careful use of a precision file I got the burr off. So I took it out and I can hit a torso target at 50 yards with some concentration. My load is a little snappy so once this batch is done I am going to back off the powder a bit. For reference 6.0 of Titegroup with a 180 lead flat nose bullet. So are there any parts about these Italian clones I should have on hand just in case? Also I know some folks take out the weird safety hammer on these guns and out a normal one in. Is there a advantage to doing this other than looks? Thanks!

Couple of things.  The load you mentioned is the starting load for the bullet/powder combination.  Be careful going with less powder as the 45 Colt case is large and you may experience inconsistent ignition.   The new style hammer on the Ubertis is not a problem if you are not competing.   There have been reports that the safety can make shooting fast a problem.  The parts most often mentioned as breaking are the trigger/bolt spring and the hand spring.  

V.V. I'm not sure what a Cabelas Peacemaker is.  How old is the gun?  They used to import Ubertis with their name on them, but that was some time ago.  If your gun is more than a few years old it may not have the "3-click-safety system".  If older, it would probably  have a "hammer-block safety system" which has a wedge on the front of the hammer below the firing pin.  Usually not a problem.  

As Tex mentioned, the trigger/bolt spring is the most likely thing to break on an Uberti.  All the SAA reproductions for a number of years have had a coil hand spring, like Ruger, so no problem with those breaking any more.  If the action is stiff, a spring kit (main spring and trigger/bolt spring) will make a big difference.

Archived