SASS Wire Forum

Best single action 45 LC revolver inventory in DFW area?

TPOOL

Hi,

There are many Colt SAA 45 LC clones from various manufacturers/importers that appear to be very similar.

I'm trying to find a dealer in DFW where I can physically look at and feel the various SAA handguns to help narrow down my options.

My local Dealers don't keep this type of handgun in stock....they will only order a specific firearm on request.  

Question: Is there a Dealer in DFW that has a large SAA inventory at their store? 

Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Hawg Runner, SASS #61139 said:

Try going to a local match. I'm  sure a Cowpoke there will be glad to help you out first hand.

This!!

You will never find the variety in a store that you can see at most any local match 

I have several clones in my collection by a few different manufacturers.   For the most part, they are really not all that different from real Colts.  Their finish is probably not as nice, and there are some subtle differences, but for the most part, it's either a decent gun, or it's not good at all.   That you can tell pretty much right away.

The most significant difference in the different clones is what kind of a safety does the thing have.  There are more than a few different kinds, with varying degrees of how "intrusive" they are.

Or, head up to OK City this coming weekend or following week/weekend and go to Land Run as a visitor.  Probably be 3 or 4 of the largest vendors of Cowboy guns there with big displays and folks who understand the Cowboy game, which is VERY rare to find in ANY gun shop currently.

Land Run National Championship

http://cowboy.okcgunclub.org/landrun/

There are two major clone SAA makers right now.  Uberti and Pietta.   Both out of Italy.   They both make fine guns, with excellent quality for a "store" bought gun.   Either make will probably benefit quite a bit from smoothing, fitting and tuning.  ALL guns I am

interested in now require the same to suit my tastes for smoothness and 100% reliable function.

Several importers carry at least one of these two manufacturer's guns.  A few, carry both.  Be aware, the importer usually has their own name roll stamped on the barrel, and the real manufacturer mark will be less obvious, usually next to the Italian required proof mark and year stamp.  But within one manufacturer's product line, there will be almost no difference caused by which importer brought it into the US.   So, don't get hung up on just looking at Cimarron guns, for example.  Taylors and EMF and etc. will also have almost exactly the same guns,  perhaps with different grips and finishes.   If you are real picky, you can spend a lot of time down this rabbit hole.   But, it should be a good time to buy Italian guns, with the Euro at a very low level compared to the dollar.

good luck, GJ

Nearly all the guns at an LGS will be bone stock. Most guns that you will see at  match are not. There is a lot more to consider than just appearance and balance. Research carefully and ask lots of questions.  

Collector's Firearms in Houston usually has a good mix of stuff SASS related.   I've purchased a few things from them over the years, and even visited the store once when I was on a road trip through the area.

Their prices tend to be high, but I have seen some good bargains there, depending on what you are looking for.  They are worth checking out.   Not sure how far DFW is from Houston, but it's a heck of a lot closer than Boston.  :)

Archived