SASS Wire Forum

Vanishing money.

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I stopped by the bank a while back. Got a few bucks in a little envelope.

I put it on the passenger seat and drove home. Then I couldnt find it. Gone.

I checked under the seat behind the seat then thought I had the windows down....

So I drove back to the bank and drove home looking all over for the money...nope.

finally I really got looking and found the envelope between the passenger seat and console.

And then I had to fish the darn thing out as my hand sure didnt fit.

Last week a credit card pulled the same vanishing act but I knew where to look.

Not only the card but a napkin and a leather strap and a straw had migrated down there.

I stopped by a local detail shop and they just use massive vacuum to get stuff out.

But the guy did mention checking online for a thing to catch stuff and make it easy to get out.

Seems there are several such gizmos and one was even on Shark Tank.

But you wouldnt believe the one star reviews.

True anger.  People being ripped off. and one size sure doesnt fit all.

SO

I stopped by the Honda store and asked about taking out the console as I dont use it much.

FOUR pages on proper removal of the critter.  And electrical connections to deal with too.

And it would be so easy for the car makers to make the console a little different so thing

could be retrieved.  Oh well.

Please pass along any great ideas.

Taking out the console with a sledge dont count.....

Best

CR

Lost my nearly full hospital parking pass card in the console of my Dodge Caravan the same way.

Too expensive to try to pull the console to retrieve the parking card. 

smiley-angry017.gif

Here is a cheap trick to help stop stuff from vanishing between the console and seat.

Find a colored pool noodle or your liking and stuff it between the seats and console. (or a long block of grey foam cut to fit)

Make sure that you can get to the seat belt latch.

About 15 years ago I was setting aside cash for a trip to Winter Range. I had been getting things done before leaving so my wife would be set. I went by the post office and dropped several envelopes in the outside box to pay some bills before I left.

Drove to the gas station and as I was filling up couldn't find the envelope with 7 or 8 hundred dollars in it. Raced back to the post office and explained and he went out to the box and found my envelope. I could have afforded to still go but wouldn't have had extra cash for beyond the basics.

I learned very quickly not to lay slim things like envelopes or ID badges on my Miata passenger seat. They somehow find a way to migrate between the seat and the console and it takes some creative work to retrieve them. 
Now anything that is slim goes into the glovebox or the storage cubby to the rear between the seats. 
I literally spent 20 minutes trying to retrieve my work ID badge one day just inside the security gate at our headquarters building. I never made that mistake again. 

19 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Have had that problem! Usually cranking the seats all the way back lets me reach stuff easily in my Dodge. Yours may be different.

I did that when I dropped my phone down in that black hole! It works on my Buick Encore.

Actually, the space between my console and the driver's seat is usually stuffed tight with candy wrappers, keeping them hidden from  my MD wife, who regularly counsels me about my eating habits.  

I read Cliff Hanger's pool noodle solution.

You might have heard the distinct meaty sound of me smacking myself in the forehead as I muttered something about why didn't I think of that myself.

Howdy,

Lookin around on the web there are several clever little inventions

to deal with this problem.  

I bet a vanishing phone or id card would really tic someone off.

The first time is real tough.  After that still a bother.

On my Honda it is almost like a funnel for stuff to get into that tight spot.

Im thinking about putting a folder in there to make items simple to get out.

Im interested there is enough space in a miata to lose anything....

The enclosed space under the console could be a good hiding hole too.

Best

CR

Archived