SASS Wire Forum

Ancestry dot Com - Update, Page 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, after weeks of anxious consideration and asking advice from friends (including all you ya-hoos! :lol:) I finally somehow gathered the nerve and sent this person a message through Ancestry dot Com.  Ancestry in turn sent her an email advising of a pending message on their site - which she had not visited in months.

I sent it about midnight last Friday night, and on a whim included my real email address and, despite recommendations to not do so, my phone number.

Bright and early Saturday morning my phone rang, displaying an unknown number from another state.  I answered with a sleep "Hullo...?"

"Is this [Hardpan]?" 

Yup - it was the "young lady" (seven years my junior) from Ancestry dot Com.  She initially though I must be a distant cousin who had found her there; I suggested she log on and take a peek at it.

"OH MY GOD!  I HAVE A BROTHER!!"

We spoke for over four hours that day, and almost that number of hours every day since. We've shared life stories, ancestry notes (all from her, of course, as I have been seventy-one years with no family contact), and just about everything else one could discuss.

She is absolutely delightful! 

She was raised in a traditional Portuguese family, so she's been trying to introduce me to the culture - the only thing Portuguese I know is "Linguiça."  (Which, by the way, does NOT belong on pizza!).  I'm going to have to learn a bunch of new cooking skills; she's already sending me bunches of recipes.  

The parallels in our interests is phenomenal.  I was stunned when she asked if I enjoyed or had ever been to an airshow; turns out she's an aviation nut, and it's quite likely we had both been at a number of events at the same time.  She's an artist; although I personally have little talent, I do have an innate appreciation for art, and the her paintings are of a genre I enjoy.  She's never done the Cowboy thing, but she's been a lifelong shooter.  "Dad" loved fishing and hunting.  She and I have even had parallels in our professional and volunteer pursuits.

The downside is she has three other full siblings and she's shared the "news" with them.  After the initial shock, reaction seems to range from cautious interest to something a tad bit less accepting.

Although I was born in california, my formative years were mostly spent in Texas.  I returned to the Bay Area when I was a junior in high school - evidently there were "relatives" who attended the same school I did, although earlier.  

And it's a good thing we never crossed paths in my younger day - she's as cute as can be, and undoubtedly I would have asked her out!  :rolleyes:

On 10/5/2022 at 8:22 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I figure a lot of the “your ancestry” DNA testing is a scam. There is no guarantee of accuracy.  

No I don't think so I took 2 DNA test one from ancestry and one from national geographics the percentage was only 1 or 2 percent different. It was the same for my wife and son too.

Archived