SASS Wire Forum

Ancestry dot Com - Update, Page 3

Genetic health tendencies is a good reason to know your true parents.

Here in CA, any dog can hump a fire hydrant and move on.
Father's Day in Harlem is also a nightmare of confusion.

"And... DNA says you are NOT the father"
--Jerry Springer

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/1/2022 at 10:28 PM, Henry T Harrison said:

Found out that I am descended from Squire Boone, as well as President Monroe

Squire and Sarah Boone are buried in Mocksville NC.  I see their historical marker on Hwy 64 at least once a month.

Nigerian Prince is already taken.

I heard an anecdote a guy swabbed the mouth of his chihuahua and sent it to one of the lesser DNA scanners.
Came back Candadian, etc, etc.
Scammers give the legit services a bad name...

8 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I heard an anecdote a guy swabbed the mouth of his chihuahua and sent it to one of the lesser DNA scanners.

Believe it or not, there are REAL doggie DNA places. My friend did one on his dog and found out her DNA was from California. He was in Ohio. They found the dog at a truck stop and figured that she must have been a trucker's dog.

Yeah but scam results were portrayed as Caucasian human when actually a dog.

After 50 years in the computer business I am not surprised at any depth of scam.

6 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I understand that. I"m just putting it out there that some people will test their DOG'S DNA.:unsure:

Allot of dog breeders do dna testing to prove the linage of pups anymore. When testing became available allot of people were finding out that they were not getting what was promised. 

You may have seen the post I did a while back after the Queen of GB passed referring to lineage.  My mother, cousins and other relatives have done a lot of looking into our past relatives.  Long and the short, I'm more Scandinavian than the Norwegian king.  Well, about the same.   Blonde hair, blue eyes, my skin glows in the dark.  I get a sunburn just walking from the house to the car.   My mom, just for S&G's did a DNA search and it pretty much said that she is from Scandinavia and very northern Germany.  It did have one tiny surprise to it.  It showed .01% of her DNA coming from Sub Saharan Africa.  My son did the same but his had more German and English in his DNA that he got from his mother.  His showed the same Sub Saharan Africa his grandmother showed.  Maybe those Scandinavian boatmen got a little nooky while traveling around to take home.

My dad.  I'll never know.  He passed a couple years ago.  I heard stories that his dad and grandfather were actual teamsters in Norway.  I think he came from a long line of mule skinners and horse thieves.  That would answer a lot of aggression issues.

The reports that include "English" can be misleading. England was mostly Germanic, including Angles, Saxons, and Jutes, and north-Germanic-- Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian; and those three were not really distinct. Some Celtic, 

too.

I had a friend who was puzzled that her report didn't include English, since most ancestors on both sides were from England. Instead it had a whole lot of Germanic. I told her that showed she was, in fact, English.

I did mine 2 or 3 yrs ago. Got a notice from Ancestry of a close relative. I think she thought cousin. Turns out, she was my niece. My older brother got her mom pregnat and skipped out. He knew it. When I told him about it, he just ignored me. I told his son, and since, he and his wife have met her and she is a very nice girl.

I have a friend who is a twin. His twin sister and him did a DNA test with one of these companies. They both got different results. They're  TWINS for God's sakes!! I don't trust these companies at all!

54 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have a friend who is a twin. His twin sister and him did a DNA test with one of these companies. They both got different results. They're  TWINS for God's sakes!! I don't trust these companies at all!

Kinda makes you wonder when they convict someone on dna evidence. Hopefully the lab did everything right. 

35 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Kinda makes you wonder when they convict someone on dna evidence. Hopefully the lab did everything right. 

I would think/hope that they would use at least two double blind tests to verify the results using different labs for each of the tests. I do wonder what the protocol is and if it varies from state to state.

15 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I would think/hope that they would use at least two double blind tests to verify the results using different labs for each of the tests. I do wonder what the protocol is and if it varies from state to state.

I remember seeing a news program where a group of lawyers were getting numerous dna convictions over turned. Before seeing that I kinda always assumed dna was pretty solid. But I guess not always. My last job was as a analyzer tec , I used to service the lab testing equipment in a chemical plant. So I can see how if the testing protocol wasn’t properly adhered too or the equipment wasn’t properly maintained you could have issues. But as you say I’d want results from at least 2 independent labs. 

One of the reasons cases get over turned is testing technology. What worked or was relied upon 20 years prior may not be as accurate as today’s testing. 

I saw that in Blue Bloods. It must be true. :D

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The wife and her sister both had the tests done.  The wife's report is she is mostly Scot, and the sister is northern European.  Go figure.  

3 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The wife and her sister both had the tests done.  The wife's report is she is mostly Scot, and the sister is northern European.  Go figure.  

I figure a lot of the “your ancestry” DNA testing is a scam. There is no guarantee of accuracy.  

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Uh... Rye?  Your friend and his twin sister?  :rolleyes:

Um.  I suspect there's a fairly good chance they ain't identical twins.  ^_^

And as a girl - assuming she was actually born a girl (can't be too sure these days) - she would've only inherited half her dad's genes... she ain't got no "Y" chromosomes.  :)

No closer than any other brother and sister... just happened to arrive at the same time.  :lol:

12 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

And as a girl - assuming she was actually born a girl (can't be too sure these days) - she would've only inherited half her dad's genes... she ain't got no "Y" chromosomes.  :)

No closer than any other brother and sister... just happened to arrive at the same time.  :lol:

Everybody inherits only half their dad’s genes and half their mom’s.

7 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Everybody inherits only half their dad’s genes and half their mom’s.

My brother and 3 sisters all have slightly different readings than mine. We look nothing alike so it makes  sense. Now what would be interesting if I could get my Mom and Dad tested by Ancestry.com, but they are both deceased. 

11 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The Vikings pretty much had their way with things until about 900 when some guy from SW England unified things. Have to believe they made many lasses “with child”.

The Vikings were much more than raiders; certainly as far as England is concerned. They both conquered and settled much of Northern England. Danish vikings in particular settled and farmed for centuries in the English north. My own very English family name derives from the Old Norse name of a hamlet in Cumbria. The North has hundreds of place-names that are Old Norse, and countless family names of the same derivation. 

At the time of the Norman conquest, the Danelaw was the name of the whole region.

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Of course they’re not identical twins but what would that have to do with their ancestry history? My sister who was 8 yrs older than me should have the same ancestry history as me! Same with any siblings! 

17 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Of course they’re not identical twins but what would that have to do with their ancestry history? My sister who was 8 yrs older than me should have the same ancestry history as me! Same with any siblings! 

“Ancestry” is figured on the basis of various markers in your genes. When the double helix for the chromosomes which include curly red hair, which is believed to be Celtic I think, if the red hair gene was not included in your side of the helix, you lose that percentage of Celticness while your sisters might get it.

8 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

“Ancestry” is figured on the basis of various markers in your genes. When the double helix for the chromosomes which include curly red hair, which is believed to be Celtic I think, if the red hair gene was not included in your side of the helix, you lose that percentage of Celticness while your sisters might get it.

So I guess you’re ancestors with recessive genes aren’t being properly represented, where’s the equity :) 

5 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Recessiveness has nothing to do with it.the helix split is impartial.

So then it’s all a bunch of BS! I don’t trust it  at all, at least for ancestry research.

In the crime world DNA is valid because it’s only being linked to one person who’s been on the crime scene or on the victim. 

58 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm not saying that this happened with your friend, but it is possible...

It is possible that, like any set of fraternal twins, the mother's two eggs were fertilized by different sperm but from two different men. A guy I worked with had this happen when he thought that his wife was having his twins and he got divorced because of it. Seems that his wife was having an affair with a man of a different race and had sex with the other guy after he left for work. Needless to say, he was shocked when the babies arrived.

When they test, the % are based on comparing to known samples in the testing companies database.  I believe this changes over time and between companies.  What it means is the % can change if you retest or if you use a different company.   If you had it done say 10 years ago and test again today your results will probably be different.  

21 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'm not saying that this happened with your friend, but it is possible...

It is possible that, like any set of fraternal twins, the mother's two eggs were fertilized by different sperm but from two different men. A guy I worked with had this happen when he thought that his wife was having his twins and he got divorced because of it. Seems that his wife was having an affair with a man of a different race and had sex with the other guy after he left for work. Needless to say, he was shocked when the babies arrived.

I guarantee that didn’t happen to my friends!!
Wow that is weird :blink:

Archived