SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun question for BP shooters

Celtic Cowboy, SASS 111421

Good evening,

My background I am the match director for a 3-Gun series.  About 18 months ago was introduced to SASS and have been helping out with stage design for my Club's Monthlies.  The reason for the questions is I had a stage idea that would use 8 shot shells instead of the standard 4.  I do not shoot black powder but am aware that the heat generated from it is greater than the heat generated from smokeless.

So my question for you BP guys is can you shoot 8 shot shells in a stage without the temperature of the gun becoming too hot to safely handle?  If 8 is too many could that be mitigated by a split shotgun stage (starting and ending with shotgun) giving the shotgun 3 other guns worth of shooting and movement to cool?

Thanks for your time,

Celtic Cowboy

Some clubs used to shoot 8 or more regularly in the distant past, before "standardization" took hold.  Heat is part of the game.   If a shooter feels the need to use a glove, they can do so.  Henry rifle shooters deal with this all the time.

Yes it gets hot. Unlike Henrys, shotguns have a forearm, so one can get by, just don’t touch the barrel. 

A gun is hottest after the string. I can shoot a Henry or shotgun without a glove, but must use a rag or glove to retrieve it when the stage over. 

If in doubt, wear a glove. 

- A slide on leather cover to protect the offhand from barrel heat or as a repair is allowed on side by side, lever action, and single shot shotguns.

SHB p.34

Every other month my home club has an all shotgun stage. Regularly shoot 10 rounds of BP with no issues. 

As Abilene Slim stated picking up long guns up after the stage is over is when you are most likely to get burned.

Not a problem except for those with "splinter" forends...  One needs to understand one's equipment and how best to use it.  For those that enjoy the shotgun, whether black powder shooter or not, more... is always better.

It's doable, I have no problem with that.  It's just part of the game.  8 rounds or split 8, SG will be hot.  

Great for heating up a couple of hot dogs in each barrel (pass the mustard, please):huh::lol:

I once shot 22 BP 12 gauge loads on one stage.  There was lots of laughing but no heat issues.

Got a nice blister on my thumb picking up the s x s after 6 BP rounds and then pistol. Just walked over and picked it up like I do after smokeless. BP was way hot. :mellow: lesson learned, but way fun.:D

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I appreciate the blessing of the BP shooters and am looking forward to the shotgun fun on Sunday.

C.C.

My experience has been different.

After 8 rounds my shotgun, shooting black powder, will not open without literally breaking it over my knee. Shells will not come out on their own. Same with the 9th and tenth rounds. Yes we had 10 shotgun in a row.

Needless to say my action was very tight.

There has also been concern about barrels coming loose, barrels unsoldering, on some of the cheaper doubles.

I would suggest splitting the shotguns 4&4.

There are two sources of protectives slide-on barrel wraps for S x S.  Galco Leather makes the Cadillac (price shows it) and another is available thru MIDWAY USA (or was).  Any shotgun barrel will broil your fingers after a few rounds of BP.

On side match day I have seen shotgun only stages with, if I remember correctly, 15 to 20 rounds. This included metal pipes that stood up on their end vertically.  I shot with real bp and didn't have a problem. Whatever touching of the barrels was so brief it didn't bother me. 

I use the red plastic wads. I did find that it was absolutely necessary to clean the barrels after a stage like that because you got more plastic fouling firing that many bp rounds quickly. Our next stage was one where they had those small lollipop targets on a stand that rocked back and were spring loaded. Had a hard time taking them down far enough. I haven't seen those for a long time.

Howdy

Because I use a Henry loaded with Black Powder as my usual Main Match rifle, I usually put a leather glove on my left hand. After ten rounds on a hot summer day, the barrel and magazine of my Henry is too hot to hold.

My Stevens SXS shotgun has a tiny splinter forestock, and without my glove, my fingertips contact the barrels, and I have been burned in the past. The commercially available leather sleeves that slide over the barrels do not fit my shotgun, it is too wide. So the leather glove I am already wearing for my rifle helps me bring my shotgun to the unloading table after a stage.

We used to regularly shoot a stage in these parts we called the Shotgun Run. Shotgun only, with a variety of knockdowns and poppers, about 10 or 12 rounds if memory serves. Not a problem when I am wearing the glove on my left hand.

The bonus is: wire a couple slices of bacon to the barrel and it will be ready at the ULT. Stops rust too. :lol:

Archived