SASS Wire Forum

Big loop levers

Vail Vigilante

I just read that the rifle John Wayne used was designed by Yakima Canutt and was then used by Chuck Connors and modified with the screw in the lever to fire it by closing the lever, along with another and an El Tigre model for the scabbard on the horse. I believe that one was also used in El Dorado by Robert Mitchum, since Johnny Crawford also starred in the movie, filmed at Old Tucson Studios. 
I am looking for design information so I could have one made that would be a true “D”.  If anyone knows of such specs or drawings let me know. 

sorry had to edit it as my “completed” thoughts never made it to the original post. 

13 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

I just read that the rifle John Way e used was designed by Yakima Canutt and was the used and modified with the screw in the lever to fire it by closing the lever, along with another and an El Tigri model for the scabbard on the horse. I believe that one was also used in El Dorado by Robert Mitchum. 
I am looking for design information so I could have one made that would be a true “D”.  If anyone knows of such specs or drawings let me know. 

Here is a close-up of the 92 Chuck Connors used.

2018133449_ScreenShot2022-10-01at5_20_38PM.png.a92355ac9743456f767ba09b15c6a9d8.png

This is a Winchester 92.   It started life as a .38-40.  Someone changed it to .44 Magnum and put this loop on it.   When I got it, it had some sort of a rail for a scope on the barrel.  I removed that and put on the tang sight.

1123226455_BigLoop92.thumb.JPG.1e01f4a9751d793eff380d8dc512b42e.JPG

No idea how the lever was made.

This is a Mares Leg. 

MaresOriginalLoop.thumb.jpg.11034a206dd399becd27bf4b5f2fdc22.jpg

Made by Chiappa, this, D shaped lever is what came with the gun, and is an option across their 92 line.

I changed it to this...

253095271_MaresLeg.thumb.JPG.4ff10211ab7525a0c30b42dc985c80dc.JPG

Chiappa calls this their "Rio Bravo" lever.   It is an option on some of their 92's, but not the Mares Leg for some reason.  I had to order it a part and put it on the pistol myself.

21 hours ago, Vail Vigilante said:

So did any of the old rifles ship with big loops or is it only Hollywood? I thought I remembered someone saying they were for cold weather gloves.

To answer your question, I have not seen a 19th Century manufactured rifle with a big loop lever that was original to the gun.  Not saying there never was some... Just have not seen any documentation on them.  

3 minutes ago, Orient Express said:

Real cowboys didn't need to wear gloves back in 19th century days.

/s

They sure as H*** did here in Montana or they got their hands frozen.  They used to say real gunfighters didn't wear gloves, maybe, they were town folk.

This one here is my Rossi Puma, .38 special. Came with the big loop and I bought a regular one also. Also got one for my Red Ryder.

381284654_JackrabbitsRedRyderCarbine.JPG

Rossi 92 big loop.jpg

Rossi Puma .38 caliber Large Loop.jpg

Still have my Daisy Wildcat too! I think it was the model one up from the RR.

A little bigger, full-length magazine and fancy graphics on the side. I run squirrels off with it... and other such varmints.

Well I gotta say I don't spin any of mine. I have in the past did so with the Rossi big loop & also a Winchester with big loop that I gave to my Daughter. None were loaded at this time. Also did 22 rifle with big loop but also not loaded. Never did the Red Ryder BB rifle either. Waaa, Haa.

Those are all toys for me.

Dont try spinning any lever action unless you have long arms and a short barrel, otherwise you get end up with a scar on the front of your shoulder right where the front site rips thru your shirt and bleeds you... dont ask me how I know... :blink:  (the invincibility of youth is usually the source of the scars that hopefully fade as the years pass by)  And just for general knowledge.... even a 16" barrel 94 trapper is too long if you are only 5'7" tall.... again dont ask me how I know. :D

Yep Barney,,,, I can relate. Bought a brand-new Marlin 336/30-30. Already had a Win. '73/32-20 (orig). About 4 yrs. earlier, 24" bbl., knew I couldn't spin it, never even tried . Got the same mark, wasn't that young ,,,,,,,,,,, 'bout 28. I really thought I could, ya don't have to be young to be , stupid, er, I mean slow . :D

Stuff happens,

Isom

Howdy

To answer the original question, no, Winchester did not ship any rifles with a big lever.

I doubt it was even a custom factory item.

Completely useless in the real world.

As has been stated, the large loop was a Hollywood invention, so John Wayne could spin cock the rifle and Chuck Connors could fire i very rapidly.

Here is another photo of the rifle Chuck Connors used in The Rifleman. The screw in the lever could be adjusted so it would trip the trigger as the lever was closed.

poazGokzj

4 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Dont try spinning any lever action unless you have long arms and a short barrel, otherwise you get end up with a scar on the front of your shoulder right where the front site rips thru your shirt and bleeds you... dont ask me how I know... :blink:  (the invincibility of youth is usually the source of the scars that hopefully fade as the years pass by)  And just for general knowledge.... even a 16" barrel 94 trapper is too long if you are only 5'7" tall.... again dont ask me how I know. :D

See my big loop 92 in the pic above?   After I paid for it, as the dealer was doing some paperwork, I found myself wondering, and sure enough, I could spin it!   I was happy!  So I tried it again.  Front sight caught my shirt and ripped it open.   Gave a nasty long scratch, but it did not scar.   Never tried it again.   By the way, I am 5'8" and the rifle has a 20" barrel.   I soon remembered that John Wayne and Chuck Conners were both well over 6' tall and were using shorter than 16" barrels.

I have spun the Mare's Leg, just for fun.   Tried with a snap cap.  It rattled away across the floor after falling out of the gun. :)

Yo Driftwood Johnson I am letting you know that Winchester did make one with the big loop It's called a Winchester Wrangler, 16"barrel, Large Loop lever, caliber 32 Winchester Special. It was a gift from my wife who has passed away, and I gave it to my daughter as my daughter requested it. This was a Christmas present from my wife December 11, 1980. Cost then was $180.00 with tax from Dealers Outlet in Glendale, Az.

With all respect:            Just for your information Texas Gun Store has one for sale at present $1424.09. See photo attached

Jackrabbit Joe #414

P.S. As you can see the engraving on the action both sides of the photo attached. For your info I did twirl this Wrangler rifle (unloaded) with eeez.

Winchesster Wrangler with Large Loop.jpg

Winchester Wrangler for sale.jpg

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Yo Driftwood Johnson I am letting you know that Winchester did make one with the big loop It's called a Winchester Wrangler, 16"barrel, Large Loop lever, caliber 32 Winchester Special. It was a gift from my wife who has passed away, and I gave it to my daughter as my daughter requested it. This was a Christmas present from my wife December 11, 1980. Cost then was $180.00 with tax from Dealers Outlet in Glendale, Az.

With all respect:            Just for your information Texas Gun Store has one for sale at present $1424.09. See photo attached

Jackrabbit Joe #414

P.S. As you can see the engraving on the action both sides of the photo attached. For your info I did twirl this Wrangler rifle (unloaded) with eeez.

Winchesster Wrangler with Large Loop.jpg

Winchester Wrangler for sale.jpg

Very cool looking rifle.   I saw a John Wayne impersonator using a large loop 94 at his show.   He did spin it.   Was surprised to see that it would work with a 94, but then again, why not?

Very cool looking rifle.   But wow...  I had no idea that  pre-83's were going for such a hefty price these days.   Maybe because it is in a rare configuration?

Got a link to the store?   Doing a Google for Texas Gun Store gives way to many results!

jackrabbit Joe, that'd be the precursor to Winchester's 1982 John Wayne Commemorative in .32-40, a 16" mdl 94 Trapper with the same lever.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:04 PM, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Yo Driftwood Johnson I am letting you know that Winchester did make one with the big loop It's called a Winchester Wrangler, 16"barrel, Large Loop lever, caliber 32 Winchester Special.

I guess I should have said that Winchester never shipped any large loop rifles during the 19th and early 20th Centuries.

Archived