SASS Wire Forum

Derringer selection

Vail Vigilante

Bond Arms are outstanding guns.

Anything other than .38 Special hurts.

If you are reloading and can download, pick whatever caliber you want.

Bond Arms guns are a little bigger, heavier, and have a better grip, so recoil is not quite as bad as others, but something to consider.

I like to shoot Wild Bunch and so I have my 1911, my 1873 and my derringer in 45acp.  This way I only have to load one caliber.  But bullets I load the the derringer are less powerful than for the 1911 & 1873.

38 Special barrel and load 38 Short Colt.

Question yourself how often will you use this?  If you have the money and want it, then have fun.  I just don't see as many side matches as I used to.

Uberti used to make a really Sweet stack barrel Derringer , mine's in .45 Colt....

Shoots right fine, both barrels shoot to one hole at 18 yards, before that one is slightly above the other ...

Great gun and looks period correct ... 

Jabez Cowboy

Fun at a derringer side match!

a cowboy I shoot with fairly regularly claims to be the “worlds fastest derringer shooter”. (He is fast, has won lots of side matches). He was running derringer side match. After shooting my Bond, I challenged him to a 4 shot derringer match. He gladly accepted the challenge. He Shot 2, reloaded, shot 2 more in about 10 seconds. Gave me a grin, knowing it would be hard to beat. 
then I pulled my 4 shot 22 sharps replica  derringer out. :D  He said oooomph. 
the look on his face was well worth the price of the derringer!!!!

the 4 shot derringer is neat, but you will never win a speed derringer match unless it’s a 4 shot scenario.  

23 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I really, REALLY want a derringer in .38 S&W.   But nobody makes one today.   Closest you can get is running .38 Short Colts in a .38 Special.

I opened the chambers on my 1967 EIG .38 to take 38s&w, it works great!!! i'm thinking of doing the same thing to my bond when i get it... 

6 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

I opened the chambers on my 1967 EIG .38 to take 38s&w, it works great!!! i'm thinking of doing the same thing to my bond when i get it... 

Yeah...    But .38 Short/Long/Special/.357 Magnum use a .358" bullet.   .38 S&W uses a .360" bullet.   There's more to it than just the chamber.  

15 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Yeah...    But .38 Short/Long/Special/.357 Magnum use a .358" bullet.   .38 S&W uses a .360" bullet.   There's more to it than just the chamber.  

I understand that but I'm not concerned. the additional pressure created by the larger bullet being forced down the smaller barrel is nominal at best, especially when comparing lead bullets in .360 to jacketed bullets in .358 which the guns are designed for, not to mention the already lower pressure 38S&W runs at vs 38spl.. if that old italian saturday night special of mine can handle it, i darn sure hope a bond can... although it would be nice if they offered it in 38S&W... i may buy a 32h&r barrel for mine and run 32S&W shorts in it

Archived