SASS Wire Forum

Anyone running a Stevens 311?

Vail Vigilante

The first gun I ever bought was a Stevens 311 in 20 gauge. It took.forever to save up the 249 dollars I needed. I ordered it from Ward’s. Mom had to fill out it’s form. I still have it and since it’s CAS legal I am going to run it. For a while anyway.  Are any of you running a 311 as you SxS?

I ran a blonde wood 311 12ga for a couple of years... I think it was 2002 and 2003.   As you grow in experience and speed, you might find that you're being slowed down by that shotgun.  But, for now, use whatcha got and git 'ta chootin'! 

My first cowboy SXS was a Stevens 311, because I already owned it prior to starting CAS.  It was and is a good solid shotgun, but it has two issues that convinced me to move on to a different match gun once I could afford it.  The first issue is that getting the 311 to stay open far enough to shuck and load shells quickly is not an easy task.  It can be done, but generally takes a knowledgeable gunsmith to do it and I wouldn't recommend trying to do it yourself.  The second is that huge locking lug right in the middle of the breech face.  While I did learn to load around it, it did indeed make things difficult and I can't tell you how many times I skinned a knuckle trying to speed load that thing.  Anyway, the 311 is built like a tank and will serve you well getting started.  However, I'll bet that you will want to move on to a more match ready shotgun at some point.  Frankly, I now wish I had never cut down the barrels on mine, as it would still be a good field gun if I hadn't.  Good luck and good shooting to all.    

Archived