SASS Wire Forum

Wedding Weirdness

Subdeacon Joe

Was the wedding a Bride & Groom, a Groom & Groom, a Bride & Bride, or some other modern self-identifying combo?   

I guess I still see a wedding and sharing mutual commitments as a more solemn occasion than all of this foolishness. 

But I'm an old guy who still  believes in God.  What would I know?

47 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Was the wedding a Bride & Groom, a Groom & Groom, a Bride & Bride, or some other modern self-identifying combo?   

I guess I still see a wedding and sharing mutual commitments as a more solemn occasion than all of this foolishness. 

But I'm an old guy who still  believes in God.  What would I know?

I'm with you on that.  I don't understand the attraction of turning the ceremony into a Vaudeville act. 

No priest I know would allow such frippery.

A favorite wedding involved the venue (the beer joint where they met) and the DJ (built like a linebacker, used to shot put anvils in high school) and as the Parson pronounced them man and wife, from the sound booth ...
THUMP

THUMP 

THUMP 

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!

(Even in the God-fearing Firelands church, we have Turkey in the Straw as a wedding recessional!) :lol:

Went to a friend’s wedding yesterday.  When the parson finished the ceremony, which included a little levity, the music qued up was Another One Bites The Dust!

Altogether, a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon!

50 years ago, last month,  my wife and I made commitments to each other in a much more serious ceremony than what is shown and described here.  It was (and IMO should be) a time of more thoughtful realization, not an entertainment venue.   Some levity can be a good thing, but a place of worship shouldn't be turned into a  nightclub.   

If I was planning the kind of thing in the video, I would schedule it someplace other than a place of worship.

Again, that is just MHO.  

I was raised Roman Catholic, but fell away from that in my teens, but I never saw a wedding ceremony as anything but solemn.  In my eary 20s I attended an Episcopal church, and got married in one.  Again, no frivolity.   
From my mid-20s to early 30s I was somewhat agnostic and dabbled in neopagan stuff before finding the Orthodox church.  Second marriage took place in that phase, but we picked a Christian minister and had the wedding in our front yard.  Nothing frivolous other than the setting.

The place for frivolity is at the reception/after party. 

My wife and I were married by a JP.  We're different religions so it made sense.  As anxious as I was at the time, it was all I could do to get through it.  There was a string quintet playing music in the venue (an 1850's era Victorian mansion).  It was really a lovely event.  The party was off the hook, and a ton of fun with a jazz band playing.  Everyone stayed at that location (hotel) on top of the highest mountain in Southern Vermont.  Since no one had to drive, the bar bill was considerable.

If God didn’t have a sense of humor then why do we? We are made in his image, right? If there is no levity, humor, celebration, amusement or just plain fun in heaven. I do not want to go. Same goes for dogs. If they ain’t in heaven then it won’t be heaven to me. 

We had a little levity in our ceremony, even if it was unplanned.  

We had written part of our vows, which the reverend read to the assemblage.  In my homage to Uno, I wrote about the strong and vibrant family he came from and how I look forward to becoming a "member of the Clan".  In Uno's message about me, he wrote about how I came from "Good Stock".  Everyone giggled, including myself.  The reverend did his best to keep a straight face.  In the limo ride to the reception, Uno asked me why everyone giggled when the minister read that statement.  I just smiled and said "good stock, as in cattle........."  He was quite embarrassed and I assured him I understood what he was trying to say.

57 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If God didn’t have a sense of humor then why do we? We are made in his image, right? If there is no levity, humor, celebration, amusement or just plain fun in heaven. I do not want to go. Same goes for dogs. If they ain’t in heaven then it won’t be heaven to me. 

My point was that there are places for everything (everything legal at least) but the correct place for "Dancing Flower Guy" is probably not a church.  (Note that I was careful not to call him a "Flower Man")

As for Heaven being fun, I think that is something that we have contrived.  The way I learned it, Heaven was a place where harmony and  pleasantry existed BECAUSE everyone there (yes-- including animals as God's creations) was in acknowledged service of God and living by the Commandments.   It wasn't ever described to me as a retreat party house type venue. 

12 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Being a long time martial arts practitioner here is a favorite of mine. https://www.facebook.com/ILoveMartialArts.ca/videos/a-jiu-jitsu-wedding-dance/2072124662910441/

My wife and I were / are both martial artists but never thought of it.  Family and JP friend at her Mom's house.

Great video of a wedding reception.  Which is where the fun and silly stuff belongs.

Here is one from Healdsburg California.

The wedding I attended yesterday was held in the woods, out in the county!  Absolutely fantastic day in all respects!  The groom is sixty-two and it’s his first marriage.  The bride, a second timer who lost her first husband several years ago and recently lost her only son to suicide.

I think that this lighthearted setting and the fun injected by all of the principals involved was just the ticket!!  The music was beautiful rock instrumental and rock/romantic songs. Totally appropriate for this couple and the attendees.

The reception and dinner was held in a barn and a happy, friendly, and joyous crowd enjoyed the entire event.

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

So prolly a better chance of playing with guns in hell.:lol:

Maybe not.  A lot of wars have been fought over religious beliefs.  God probably has several safes full of ARs (and lever guns, of course)  himself.  

6 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Maybe not.  A lot of wars have been fought over religious beliefs.  God probably has several safes full of ARs (and lever guns, of course)  himself.  

Way better, heat bothers me these days.;)

29 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Just as long as there are no vulgar, misguided, and stupid best man speeches and toasts I'm pretty happy.

We agree on that. 

I don't know when Best Man toasts to the marrying couple turned into autobiographical ovations, but I could have lived just fine without them. 

1/2 minute is about perfect. 

Archived