SASS Wire Forum

Giant ships

Utah Bob #35998

Well that’s how a reporter just described some 28-30 foot sports fishing boats beached in Ft Myers. :wacko: 

Yeah. Giant Ships!!

5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Why do we keep pointing out the stupid reporters.  Let's point out the bright ones.  I will be a MUCH shorter list and the aggravation BP ratings would  drop way down.

I just saw mother one say the CALVARY had arrived.

Too hard to find the bright ones. I think they all retired.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I just saw mother one say the CALVARY had arrived.

Too hard to find the bright ones. I think they all retired.

Been correcting people saying that for about seventy five years.

Two other that bug me are "chimbly" and 'libary".

27 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Been correcting people saying that for about seventy five years.

Two other that bug me are "chimbly" and 'libary".

And drownded.

14 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Supposebly…

Ex Cetera

our education system was infiltered back in the 60s- 70s , you cant fix what they gont want fixed or expect much better than what we are getting , , before 1960 we advanced education , after 1970 we retarded it , we can only hope some in the future will see the difference between educating and indoctrinating , 

Impactful. It’s a bonified word but I hate it.

25 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Still ghetto talk in my book. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Axe you a question.

In one of Lewis Grizzard's books, he tells about his mother who was a school teacher. She taught black children, and they all would axe a question.

So she taught them how to say ask.

First she had them say ass. They really liked that. They got to say a dirty word in front of the teacher and not only did they not get in trouble they were being praised for saying it. And once they had ass down pat she worked on them making the k sound. Then the two sounds together - ass k. Once they could do both sounds she had them say it faster until she had them saying it is one sound - assk.

You would not believe how much trouble I had writing that story. otto did not want me to write what I was writing, and I had to go back and rewrite it three or four times before he finally gave up.

Lately, the one that truly infuriates me is “should of”!!  ABSOLUTELY IDIOTIC!!

”OF” is a possessive!!  The phrase that is correct is “SHOULD HAVE”!!!  or the contraction “SHOULD’VE”!!!

“Should of” is just blatantly wrong!!

For some, this indicates ignorance.  They obviously weren’t taught the correct words and misunderstood what others were saying.  They were never required to write the phrase or weren’t corrected by some lazy teacher who was just there for the paycheck and the summer vacation.

For others, it just exposes their stupidity!!  They were taught better!!  They’re just too lazy or they choose to be a part of the dumbing down of the public!!

Get it right!!

I apologize for the rant!!

Alot.  Sometimes even further botched into Allot.  As in, "I had alot of birds in my mulberry tree."

And it's use a LOT right here in this here Saloon.  [ACS]   

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Alot.  Sometimes even further botched into Allot.  As in, "I had alot of birds in my mulberry tree."

And it's use a LOT right here in this here Saloon.  [ACS]   

Otto changed alot to slot on me :( or sometimes two words. I despise Otto.:ph34r:

Nook-youler.

It's NUCLEAR.

My wife is a medical radiographer and the only one in her department who can spell correctly ... this mispronunciation is her pet peeve!

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

All right

There is no such word as alright. That's right up there with irregardless. The word does not exist. People use it anyhow. Morons.

And again Merriam Webster disagrees:P

Is irregardless a word?

Yes. It may not be a word that you like, or a word that you would use in a term paper, but irregardless certainly is a word. It has been in use for well over 200 years, employed by a large number of people across a wide geographic range and with a consistent meaning. That is why we, and well-nigh every other dictionary of modern English, define this word. Remember that a definition is not an endorsement of a word’s use.

20 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That's an NPR  cultural apology.  Do you know any educated person who says "ax" when they mean "ask"? Of course, if you can recite the Canterbury Tales in the original Middle English, I'll accept that you intended to use "ax" as an ancient equivalent of modern "ask"; otherwise, I call BS.

LL

14 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

It does not surprise me that Merriam Webster disagrees. I'm sure that they also say that both gift and disrespect are verbs. And that dis is an actual word, instead of being a sloppily pronounced this. "That mofo dissed me. I'm gonna cap his ass!"

All that means is that the people that write dictionaries are foolish.

Abby would routinely use a word - hinky. McGee lost it one day and jumped her. "Why do you keep saying that? That's not even a real word - that's a made up word!"

And she looks at him like he's a completed idiot and says, "All words are made up words".

9 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

That's an NPR  cultural apology.  Do you know any educated person who says "ax" when they mean "ask"? Of course, if you can recite the Canterbury Tales in the original Middle English, I'll accept that you intended to use "ax" as an ancient equivalent of modern "ask"; otherwise, I call BS.

LL

Since it has an unbroken history of being used for 1,200 years I think it is established as standard English.  Any source I cite will be from something you will dismiss out of hand because it's from the press or academia, so I won't try.

Archived