SASS Wire Forum

A post-hurricane/tornado bag? (Question clarified)

A little clarification to the original question…

What I am wondering about is the first hour after a storm event. That time period when first responders are overwhelmed and probably not in your neighborhood yet. What should be in the bag to help your neighborhood in that hour?

What medical equipment is needed to apply first aid?

What tools are needed to affect a rescue or just get people freed from wreckage if required?

How to maintain communications with the outside world? Batteries? Battery pack with USB ports?

Small disposable flashlights or glow sticks?  A headlamp?

Work gloves?

A sidearm to deal with looters.  

This scenario is different than long-term leaving the area or staying in a compromised house.  But I think it might be the most likely that my family would face. 

Again, all advice gladly appreciated. 

——end of clarification——

Seeing Ian and having had several near misses from tornados, I’m pondering what items should go in a knapsack for when you first come out of the house.  I’m talking that you’ve sheltered in the basement, your neighborhood took a direct hit, the storm has passed, and you’re walking out for the first time.  What do you want to have with you as your neighborhood comes to grips and helps each other?

Medical supplies?
Tools to shut off broken utilities?
A crowbar?

Flashlights?

Im building such a bag in a 20 liter rucksack and am curious about the Saloon’s collective wisdom.

Out here it is Wildfires, and there is an official Go Kit Bag offered for free. 

On the bag, a start.

Personal Action Plan and exit routes

List of emergency and non emergency phone numbers

List of area shelters

Prescription Medications and Pet medications

First Aid Kit

Important documents (ID, Insurance papers, Passport, etc.)

Phone and spare charger

My additions

Flashlight and spare batteries

Knife

Firearm and spare ammunition

Cash to comfort level, checkbook and credit cards

Bottled water and half a dozen food bars

Space blanket for each escapee

toilet paper

In addition what @Rip Snorterwrote :)
I would plan for 3 days without food, water or utilities. At least a gallon of water per day per person….not necessarily in your bag but handy. 

Also, baby wipes and hand disinfectant. 

I went so far as to paint the front edge of my front porch slab, gloss white.
Centered on this, physical address and street name.
During the Xenia tornadoes, every landmark was GONE save only the water towers.
No street signs.
The very few places where curbs were painted with street name and house number, were the only recognizable waypoints.

Useful if you leave your hacienda, come out into a ruined wasteland, and try to find your way back.

My additions would be:

Work gloves, in case you come across debris that needs moving

A change of clothes, sturdy shoes and socks, good for lots of walking in harsh conditions

Hat, both for sun protection and debris protection

Insect repellent

Extra personal hygiene items (extra tampons, depends etc.)

Water purification system, in case you run out of water

Food and water for your pets

*A fire starter kit of some kind in case you are stranded in the wilderness and need warmth or a way to prepare food

*Safety flares in case you need to signal for help.

* I frequently travel between cities with a lot of rural area in between.  If you plan on leaving this kit within the city limits, you may not need these items.

Keep in mind that after even the worst tornado, food water, and shelter are easily within a days walk. 

When it come to hurricanes and earthquakes it may not be possible reach food, water and shelter. Your only option  may be to dig in and hold your own for several days until help finds you.

13 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I went so far as to paint the front edge of my front porch slab, gloss white.
Centered on this, physical address and street name.
During the Xenia tornadoes, every landmark was GONE save only the water towers.
No street signs.
The very few places where curbs were painted with street name and house number, were the only recognizable waypoints.

Useful if you leave your hacienda, come out into a ruined wasteland, and try to find your way back.

keep in mind that GPS will locate within about three feet these days , but it is a commendable aid for those that are searching right after the event , 

i do agree with all of the items listed above , one thing that was not mentioned was a way to carry it all , you may be on the move for shelter/protection , 

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

keep in mind that GPS will locate within about three feet these days , but it is a commendable aid for those that are searching right after the event , 

i do agree with all of the items listed above , one thing that was not mentioned was a way to carry it all , you may be on the move for shelter/protection , 

Most people rely on the Map/GPS in their phone. With no cell service most map apps on cell phones do not work.

The suggestions I'm seeing are sound and well reasoned.

Watab Kid is right: you'll need a means of carrying your stuff.

A gambler plays the odds, and I'm looking at our topography (flat) and weather patterns (tornadoes and winter weather, loss of electric power) and a nearby railroad (old veteran fire/police/medic here, I've survived both railroad hazmats to which I was dispatched. Nearly lost my partner but she survived chemical exposure)

Guaranteed no pre-plan is flawless, reality has a way of slinging curve balls into our most precisely defined defenses, but I guarantee that even a prep that's less than perfect is much better than realizing "Oh it just hit the fan I better do SOMETHING!"

Transportation, escape routes, communication, rendezvous points, all bear their own separate discussions; each of you is far better able than I to define your best practice. 

It's one thing to pack a rucksack for an initial "It's over, let's see what's left and who needs help"

Far different for a "I may need to survive based upon what's in this rucksack".

I think that Charley was looking for scenario A.

In the scenario of A, I would want;

- Rudimentary medical items including torniquet.

- Cable saw, Use it as a rescue tool or a surgeon's saw.

- Bottle of alcohol.

- Cell phone (just in case there is cell service)

- Large pry bar or crowbar. 

- Spray paint can/primary color.

- A few bottles of water to provide drink or wash wounds.

- Zip Lock bag with paper/pencil.

- LED flashlight

- 20' small rope.

- Firearm of choice. Hate to say it, but you never know.

- Other things that I can't think of right now.

Buy some pool shock. A 1 pound bag treats a 10,000 gal pool to standard. It chemically purifies a WHOLE lot more water than that for drinking. 

Add 1t of shock to 2 gallons water. That makes high test bleach. Then add 1 pint of bleach solution to 12-13 gallons of mechanically purified water. Let sit for a bit preferably in sunshine. Then pour back and forth between 2 pots or such to aerate and remove chlorine taste.

the pool shock is an item i keep in my gear , old days it was purification tablets - but that was the same thing , keep it with my purifier gear , 

a good knife and hand axe , 

There's as many answers as there are responders. I have a "bug out bag" that's like a kid's backpack. You just have to prioritize based on your judgement, considering size and weight. It's not practical to carry a weeks supply of food, 20 gal. of water, or a case of dog food if you have pets. Much of mine is emergency medical stuff, first aid kit, gunshot wound bleeding kits, etc. I keep nuts and jerky and lightweight foodstuffs, but you also have to rotate it. It's easy to go thru your bag and discover your peanuts expired 5 years ago. :angry: You just have to decide what you really want ITSHTF for some reason.

JHC

51 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

In re: water, there are little purifier straws that do a heck of a job and they weigh about what a good cartridge does.

One of the things in my bug out bag is a water filtration mug. Water is essential and takes up a lot of room and weight. Used to go backpacking in the Big Bend country of Texas, and we had to carry our own water as there was no reliable source.

JHC

On 10/1/2022 at 8:03 AM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Seeing Ian and having had several near misses from tornados, I’m pondering what items should go in a knapsack for when you first come out of the house.  I’m talking that you’ve sheltered in the basement, your neighborhood took a direct hit, the storm has passed, and you’re walking out for the first time.  What do you want to have with you as your neighborhood comes to grips and helps each other?

Medical supplies?
Tools to shut off broken utilities?
A crowbar?

Flashlights?

Im building such a bag in a 20 liter rucksack and am curious about the Saloon’s collective wisdom.

MONEY!

Had a scary situation a couple years back. There was a fire at the end of our block with about a 35 mph north wind. If that fire had gotten loose it would have been in my backyard in maybe 2 minutes, I was figuring all I would have time to do was grab the bug out bag and hopefully our 3 dogs!

JHC

Captain Callahan raises a scenario too often not considered!

Well Said Sir!

In that situation. 

If you don't know what first aid you need, and I say this as kindly as I can, you will probably do more harm than good. Get thee to a red cross class.

Post tornado or 'cane chain saw and Halligan tool or prybar. Winch or come along. Axes and big hammers. Sawzall think destructive intent or no tool vehicle extraction.

Como can be effected with sms text messages is a different 'channel' on the cell tower than voice or data. Works till the cell tower battery dies. Car radio for news. Charge phones in car.

Headlamps so your hands are free. 1.00 at wally world.

Bout the only utility you should mess with is a gas main shut off and that just takes a crescent wrench or big pair of pliers.  Water usually has a 1/4 turn valve at the meter. I ain't messing with electric mains.

Work clothes and ppe. Bleach or pool shock for cleanup and disinfection.

Water, food and a way to cook it.

Calam and I have 3 "Go Boxes", using those big Rubbermaid bins.  The balloon goes up, we grab the pets, the boxes, and we're out the door, self-contained for 3 days. 

We did up 2 emergency/bug-out bags a few years ago. Twice a year the perishable/consumables/batteries get replaced.

Archived