SASS Wire Forum

How difficult is it to remove the firing pin from a Luger?

Alpo

Novel.

Bad guy murdered several people, hid the gun. Good guy found the gun. Since he is not sure who the bad guy is, he put the gun back where he found it, hoping the bad guy will retrieve it and try to murder him.

I am assuming, although I have not gotten that far yet, that before he put the gun back where the bad guy hid it, he made it so it would not go bang. That would probably be best done by removing the firing pin.

If I was the good guy in the story, and the murder weapon was a 1911, I could easily remove the firing pin. But I don't have a clue how to take it out of a Luger.

Actually, thinking about it as I was writing this post, while I can field strip many automatic pistols, I can't think of any except the 1911 that I know how to remove the firing pin.

Guess I'd be SOL if I was the hero of this book.

I wish I had had that information back then. Guy comes into the shop one day. Wants to sell a Luger. It was in pieces. Only wanted a hundred and a quarter. I told him I would be happy to give him that much money if he would put it back together so I could see that it worked. He dropped the price to 100. But I had no idea how to put it back together. Had no idea if all of the pieces parts were there. Told him I was going to have to pass

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

I wish I had had that information back then. Guy comes into the shop one day. Wants to sell a Luger. It was in pieces. Only wanted a hundred and a quarter. I told him I would be happy to give him that much money if he would put it back together so I could see that it worked. He dropped the price to 100. But I had no idea how to put it back together. Had no idea if all of the pieces parts were there. Told him I was going to have to pass

:(

Back before the Intergoogle it was roblematic. I had a Spanish army surplus Astra 400 that I never learned how to field strip. Years later there was an article in Guns and Ammo that showed how. Simple but not if you didn’t know the  one little trick.

Quickest way to make a Luger inoperable is just to remove the trigger plate. German officers and NCOs were instructed if they had to surrender to throw that piece away so the gun would not fire. So if you come across a Luger with a mis-matched plate, it was probably such a gun. Mine is that way.

BTW, that piece has edges that are razor sharp. Break the edge with a file or you can open yourself up!

Archived