SASS Wire Forum

Spotting Scope Help

Buckshot Bear

Can I get some help deciphering spotting scope numbers?

25-75x70mm 

20-60x60mm

What do those numbers actually relate to? I have done some reading, but it all seems like sales talk and doesn't explain it.

From those numbers above....which numbers being greater make for a better spotting scope for pickin' out .22s

60mm and 70mm refer to the lens size. Larger lenses gather more light and see more clearly in lower light conditions.

IIRC the 25-75 reading are magnification numbers. 

Important consideration is how wide or narrow the field of view is at the range you will be spotting. It helps get the picture framed.

All other things equal the top set of numbers is better

Thanks...what numbers refer to the eye relief? I mean like how close you need to put your eye up to the eyepiece?

Reckon these are too cheap?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Amcrest-20-60x60mm-Waterproof-Telescope-Smartphone/dp/B07Z9M9T3F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0728C4K7W/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_FRE26A7YWQ1AQ3JZ9ABR_0?th=1

8 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Thanks...what numbers refer to the eye relief? I mean like how close you need to put your eye up to the eyepiece?

Reckon these are too cheap?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Amcrest-20-60x60mm-Waterproof-Telescope-Smartphone/dp/B07Z9M9T3F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0728C4K7W/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_FRE26A7YWQ1AQ3JZ9ABR_0?th=1

With optics you really do get what you pay for.  

That out of the way, are you trying to see a hole made by a .22 at 500 yards?   Or 100 yards?   Competition?  Casual target shooting that's just a step above plinking?

Unless you get into high 3 figures the top end of the zoom, say from 60X up, will be a fairly poor quality image.

7 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

With optics you really do get what you pay for.  

That out of the way, are you trying to see a hole made by a .22 at 500 yards?   Or 100 yards?   Competition?  Casual target shooting that's just a step above plinking?

Unless you get into high 3 figures the top end of the zoom, say from 60X up, will be a fairly poor quality image.

90% at 25 yards and now and again at 50 yards.

I dropped my scope the other day (had it forever) and the front glass shattered. Been very happy with it but all the numbers have worn off and I can't read them.

23 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

90% at 25 yards and now and again at 50 yards.

I dropped my scope the other day (had it forever) and the front glass shattered. Been very happy with it but all the numbers have worn off and I can't read them.

So you don't really need a high end rig.  

A few thoughts:

Assuming you have either a camera with a zoom, or a camera on your phone with a zoom, would mounting one of them on a tripod serve your purpose?

Try taking it to a decent camera or optics store.  The people there made be able to help you figure out what you had.

From your description something from $50 to $100 should meet your needs.

The Juniors I work with in highpower use an Athlon Talos. (entry level)

https://smile.amazon.com/Athlon-Optics-20-60x80-Angled-Spotting/dp/B07Y3SR7RD/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=athlon+talos&qid=1664585657&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjc0IiwicXNhIjoiMy4yMSIsInFzcCI6IjIuNDEifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-2

You can see 22 cal holes at 100yds most times (some light conditions no go). If everything is right you can see holes at 200yds but again everything must be right.

Jim Brown

Your eyes, your money.  Go shopping.  Look through a lot of different ones and take notes.  I am pleased with my 12-40X, 60mm Leupold spotting scope.  The Swarovskis I have looked through are a bit sharper, but not enough for my eyes to justify the extra dollars.  I wish my vision was good enough to let me buy the more expensive scope, but I accept my physical limitations.

You should be able to resell premium optics more easily than junk optics, if it ever comes to that.

Don’t get power hungry.  Just because a scope has more magnification does not mean it’s a better scope.  It just means the view will be more jittery.

The quality of the glass is everything. Good glass costs. Yes they are expensive but you are likely to only buy 1 or 2 in a lifetime. 

Here is what the numbers mean. First # before the X is the minimum magnification. Number after is the max magnification. Number before mm is objective size.

20 X 60 X 100mm 

Minimum magnification is 20X

Max magnification is 60X

Objective lens is 100 milimeters in diameter.

In almost every situation an angled eye piece works better than a straight.

Don't scrimp on the tripod. Most package deals have a tripod 2 or 3 sizes too small to hold the scope steady.

Eye relief refers to how far away your eye has to be from the eyepiece to see the full field of view. Be aware that the eye relief is often overstated on cheap scopes.

Some reading.  Be sure to check out the links in the article.

https://www.spektiv.org/en/spotting-scope-for-shooting/

https://www.spektiv.org/en/spotting-scope-test-what-you-should-look-for-when-buying-a-spotting-scope/

Big fan of emailing Doug at Cameraland.  Heres a list of his scopes, if you tell him budget and use he will get you set up with tripod too.  Don’t be afraid Of his open box items…bought a nightforce spotter and completely happy.  You will find his name all over in forums from his experience.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/categories/binoculars-and-scopes/42ee0f8f-1c54-4480-a5f7-fef5200d0883?filters=206906:"Spotting Scope"&sorting=price:asc

I use the scope for ISSF (Olympic Bullseye) and you shoot 5 shot groups (standing, one hand hold) and I scope each shot, before going forward to patch and score.

I made up this using a clamp and camera tripod mount, works great and there hasn't been a range I haven't been able to find a place to clamp it on.

The scope has been battered over the years and nothing's legible on it anymore. It took one to many falls last Wednesday and the front is kaput. I don't pay a tremendous amount for it when I bought it.

20221001_124952.thumb.jpg.50ea5644ec8882bc34dc6ee4c2283cd9.jpg

20221001_125004.thumb.jpg.83b568daaa6675e2e24a2b67b9446736.jpg

20221001_125011.thumb.jpg.f151b03f0c3dda6afbe1286145521a13.jpg

20221001_125016.thumb.jpg.07a4e869c7ff8c7bbc481fd020ff309a.jpg

19 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

Big fan of emailing Doug at Cameraland.  Heres a list of his scopes, if you tell him budget and use he will get you set up with tripod too.  Don’t be afraid Of his open box items…bought a nightforce spotter and completely happy.  You will find his name all over in forums from his experience.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/categories/binoculars-and-scopes/42ee0f8f-1c54-4480-a5f7-fef5200d0883?filters=206906:"Spotting Scope"&sorting=price:asc

I'm in Australia, but looking at that link I'm pretty sure mine is this brand, I had that black sun shield on the front as well until it got smashed off a few days ago. So if mine is 15x-45x65 what would be a 'step up' in numbers to help my eye being older??

Capture.thumb.JPG.12e1ba5057896f4a01882db303110797.JPG

Here is my $.02 on spotting scopes.  Magnification without good glass is useless.  I had a 25-60 power (buschnell) and replaced it with a fixed 25 (kowa).  The kowa offered far better ability to see the targets even though the power was less. But I was comparing a $100 scope to an $800 scope.    Also I found that talking to long range shooter, 600-1k yards that too much magnification is actually detrimental as the mirage distorts the image more at higher magnification.  

buy the best quality glass you can afford.  A cheap high power scope is just that cheap.  

This is one that I have on my “want list”.

Celestron – Ultima 80 Angled Spotting Scope – 20-60x Zoom Eyepiece – Multi-coated Optics for Bird Watching, Wildlife, Scenery and Hunting – Waterproof and Fogproof – Includes Soft Carrying Case https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0002CTZ70/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TS9F4WJ5PTHWRQYWN501

80mm lens with decent magnification from a reputable company at a good price. 

My wife wanted to get in to professional photo work. 

One day she starts explaining why she needs to upgrade her kit glass and starts talking about clarity and distortion and I had an aha moment.

I asked her if she was talking about professional glass and she said yes. I just said oh ok what's it cost?  Floored  her, she had been researching for weeks and had a pro level debate laid out to get me on-board.

I told her there's guns I want that the scope costs more cause good glass matters.

I also found out a lot of off brands are made in the same factory on the same line as the name brands. Might have looser. Quality control but same stuff different badge.

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I'm in Australia, but looking at that link I'm pretty sure mine is this brand, I had that black sun shield on the front as well until it got smashed off a few days ago. So if mine is 15x-45x65 what would be a 'step up' in numbers to help my eye being older??

Capture.thumb.JPG.12e1ba5057896f4a01882db303110797.JPG

A step up would be the same magnification but an 80 or 100 mm objective. 

I looked but didn't see any 15X45s with a larger objective but I did find a few 20X60 with 80 and 100 mm objectives.

Archived