SASS Wire Forum

WILD BUNCH w/1911 9mm

Fallon Kid

WILD BUNCH with 1911 9mm.    Asking for your thoughts. I enjoy WB shooting but the current primer situation may impact future involvement. I have twice as many small pistol primers and am burning through my large pistol supply pretty quick. I recently bought a RIA 1911 in 9mm on a lark. I loaded up some 9’s with 4.3 gn titegroup with a 130 gn cast bullet. I chron’ed at 1012 fps which is about a 130 power factor. I can tell you for a fact the handling and recoil are on par with my 45 acp loads. Seems we should maybe relax the rules a might during this man made shortage of supplies. Could impose time penalties for non-approved calibers? Anything is better than killing off a sport due to our rules and not taking into account reality.  I did buy locally  2 bricks of Match Large Pistol and 1 brick of CCI standard small. 460.00. That was all they had but still expensive. I’m doing all I can but if the primers are not available what are we supposed to do? Thanks y’all.  Thoughts would be appreciated. Jerry

They also make 45acp brass that use a small pistol primer.  Might want to take a look into that.

At a local match, why not?  I doubt the rule would be relaxed at the state/regional level.  As an aside, the 1911 pistol that Bill Holden used in some scenes in The Wild Bunch movie was a 9 mm Star.  You should pose the question on the Wild Bunch site as well.

I have checked into SP 45 brass but like primers…I am picking up a few small primer brass mixed in with my picked up match brass. Right now they are an abomination alongside devil worship and kitten juggling. I have to make an extra step in case preps to weed them out. My press runs so sweet until one of these ‘little ones’ get by undetected and cause untold delays correcting. I would be singing a different tune if I had a supply of Sml primer 45acp. Tomorrow who knows   Thanks for your input Jerry

Most monthly matches will allow it if you ask.   They may put you in an outlier category, or not.   Or may disallow you competing.  Their choice.

I can tell you, the recoil on your load is NOT on a par with WB .45 auto loads, because those make 150 Power Factor at a minimum. PF is momentum, which is just about same as felt recoil. 

But if you approach it with a "I'm not trying to win anything here by doing this" attitude, local matches can allow it.  Call and talk to the match director to get his take before you show up.

good luck, GJ

Thanks Joe for your info. I agree the PF is more with a 45 but I would be hard pressed to tell difference in recoil if I were blindfolded ( which is about par for my shooting ability). We have a match tomorrow  and will bring subject up. I’m a middle of pack gunner and not a threat to the big boys.

9 minutes ago, KingSnake said:

If clubs allow .32’s in Classic Cowboy and 73 rifles in B Western , then why shouldn’t they allow 9mm in Wild Bunch???

WB rifle is .40 cal minimum. 9mm is about a mm smaller than .40.

Just adding this for scale, I take no position on the question.

32 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

WB rifle is .40 cal minimum. 9mm is about a mm smaller than .40.

Just adding this for scale, I take no position on the question.

And 9mm is .096” smaller than the 1911 .45 acp minimum rule that the OP referenced.  

I know this seems to go against everything that most cowboy shooters believe in, but how about ---

Play the game the way the rules are written, instead of trying to rewrite the rules in your favor. You're supposed to use 45s. You ain't got no 45s? Well I guess you can't play today.

Isn't that simple?

I know several clubs that have an outlaw class where people use 38 rifles and 9mm 1911's. Just on local matches. They are scored against each other.

My thoughts on your issue:

Ask your club member about trading primers, your SP for their LP , feel pretty sure someone would do that for you.

Next, ask your WB club members for SP .45 acp brass.

If they are all shooting LP, most of them more than likely have some SP .45 brass brass is a "swear jar" they would give you.

Then again, they might be encouraged to trade you into some large primers so you don't shoot the SP ones & cause more swearing, lol.

Either would be better than using a 9mm for WB.

I have a pail of .45 acp. I know some are SP. If I have time (and remember tomorrow) I will go through and see how many I have. Your are welcome to them for the postage. It may not be worth it to you.

Why can't I shoot WB with my Colt ACE? :ph34r:

Small pistol 1911 brass isn't hard to come by - I've acquired quite a stock from fellow shooters who loathe the stuff getting mixed in with their large pistol brass. I use the small pistol stuff in my .45acp Vaqueros so there's no chance of it getting mixed up with my WB brass. ;)

unless you already have a 9mm 1911 i see no reason not to seek the primers you need or brass for the primers you have - it would be cheaper than buying the gun and loading stuff , 

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Wild Bunch Lite? 9mm and .38/.357 rifle! Why not?!

We call it Mild Bunch.

.45 can be difficult in some states of Australia and some ranges aren't approved for it.

Therefore, some shoot what they call Mild Bunch with 9mm. However, all Titles are in .45.

watab kid: Confused with your post above. Been thinking all afternoon for reasons not to buy another gun and dog-gone it wore my brain out. LOL I think we all love getting another gem if only for bragging rights. God been pretty good to me and don't know why.  Point in fact, I picked up a 44mag at match today and the only 2 reasons that make sense are  'I did not have one' and 'I wanted to feel the blast these are reputed give'  Makes sense to me but there ain't nobody to tell me NO.

Your friend in the spirit of the game

44mag.jpg

Archived