SASS Wire Forum

If you’re uncomfortable re holstering your glock

Buckshot Bob

Lemme see if I understand this correctly.

The Glock super fantastic plastic pistol has a trigger, and it has a trigger guard, and the trigger is narrower than the trigger guard. It furthermore has a safety - although it is not called a safety - which is this Dingus in the middle of the trigger. And the Dingus has to be pulled before the trigger can be pulled.

So the way you accidentally shoot yourself with a Glock super fantastic plastic pistol, is when you are holstering your pistol you still have your finger in the trigger guard, and the holster lip pushes your finger against the Dingus and against the trigger causing the gun to fire.

So now they're making this thingajigger (I started to call it a Dingus but I'm already using the word dingus) which will allow you to push back against the Dingus on the trigger so when you stupidly still have your finger in the trigger guard when you attempt to holster the gun you can't pull the trigger.

Have I got that right?

Wouldn't the more better solution be to "take your finger out of the trigger guard you stupid booger-eating moron"?

Original Glock boxes had an interesting feature.  They had a round projection that fit into the trigger guard.  When you put the gun in the box the projection would depress the trigger and the striker would release.  That caused several interesting ADs.  I still have one of the old boxes that came with my 1986 vintage Glock 17L.

657882257_1200px-Glock_17_22first-generation22_in_original_box..thumb.jpg.64726ec6bb825c0530ad3633a5115fde.jpg

I’ve known a couple people that had to have a glock but were uncomfortable with a round in the chamber. If this will get them to stop carrying a unloaded gun I’m all for it . Personally it has never bothered me , just don’t be in a hurry to re holster, I carried a glock for years but now carry a 2011 since they finally came  out with reliable factory mags. And I’d be lying if I didn’t acknowledge that the thumb safety and being able to block the hammer with my thumb when re holstering didn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling 

Obviously the Glock is a popular firearm, as the cottage industry of aftermarket parts

that sprang up for it is as big as the one for the 1911.  That popularity has led to a

lot of folks getting one, and some have discovered that getting a holster strap

or a cover garment caught in the trigger guard can cause a loud mishap.

Not the guns fault, the trigger safety is intended more as a drop safety than

a gun locking safety.  Striker fired pistols have different issues.

Having a thumb device that helps you detect a striker movement is a useful thing

and frankly it's consistent with the way I holster 1911's, Beretta 92's, and

other exposed hammer pistols, particularly when holstering while maintaining eyes

on the environment.

I'll be adding one to my carry Glock, which is helpful for me in maintaining the habit of

placing my thumb on the back of the gun while re-holstering, as I do with the 1911

and 92.

YMMV

SC

My only reservation with this is a contact shot. I was taught if your in a struggle with someone where you are forced to push the muzzle of your glock into someone to put the thumb of your strong hand or preferably the palm of your weak had on the back of the slide , knowing your only getting one shot until you rack the slide. “ this keeps the pistol from becoming disconnected”, I know this is what iffing it to death but it’s the one downside I see to it. 

I've carried Glocks for years, still do. Never found myself wishing for something like that. Sounds like something to sell that has no good use. Like recoil spring guides for a 1911.

JHC

26 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

. I was taught if your in a struggle with someone where you are forced to push the muzzle of your glock into someone to put the thumb of your strong hand or preferably the palm of your weak had on the back of the slide ,

If I put the thumb of my strong hand - my shooting hand - on the back of the slide, if and when I pull the trigger the slide coming back is going to dislocate my thumb. If I have the palm of my non-shooting hand there, I'll be going to the doctor afterwards to get my non-shooting hand fixed.

This seems like a really really stupid thing to be taught.

If you are worried that in a close situation the bad guy is going to be able to push the slide back far enough to take the gun out of battery, carry a revolver.

58 minutes ago, Alpo said:

If I put the thumb of my strong hand - my shooting hand - on the back of the slide, if and when I pull the trigger the slide coming back is going to dislocate my thumb. If I have the palm of my non-shooting hand there, I'll be going to the doctor afterwards to get my non-shooting hand fixed.

If you are worried that in a close situation the bad guy is going to be able to push the slide back far enough to take the gun out of battery, carry a revolver.

It won’t dislocate your thumb unless you have extremely weak thumbs. You will be shocked how little push there is . Your not trying to stop a 50 ae desert eagle . With a high thumb grip you can push your thumbs against the side of the slide and cause the pistol to malfunction. Push hard enough you can keep the slide closed . Many reputable trainers teach contact shots 

I had a class back in the 90’s with Louis Awerbuck where he taught us contact shots .

The guy in this video doesn’t do a bad job or break his thumb .

A revolver shines on contact shots , unless you’re opponent grabs the cylinder 

24 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

I’ve seen where some of the hybrid holster makers are now molding the kydex around the trigger guard because of problems when the leather backer gets worn. 

My primary safety is between my ears. 

I own 3 Glocks now and may have another soon. I have owned a total of 7 Glocks I like them very much. 
I wouldn’t mess with the mechanics of a Glock with that device in the first video.
I prefer to use my head and handle my gun properly and not rely on any aftermarket device (gimmick) that I would add to my gun for safety. 
I  noticed they didn’t go into any detail on that device. That also makes me leery of it. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I own 3 Glocks now and may have another soon. I have owned a total of 7 Glocks I like them very much. 
I wouldn’t mess with the mechanics of a Glock with that device in the first video.
I prefer to use my head and handle my gun properly and not rely on any aftermarket device (gimmick) that I would add to my gun for safety. 
I  noticed they didn’t go into any detail on that device. That also makes me leery of it. 

While I don’t feel a burning need for one either Langdon is a pretty squared away guy. And considered a good trainer. And sells generally excellent quality guns and accessories.  So I can’t see him backing this if it’s a pos or not a solution for some people. Everyone has to find the equipment that works for them. If you’re into Beretta he’s pretty much the guy. 

34 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I’ve seen where some of the hybrid holster makers are now molding the kydex around the trigger guard because of problems when the leather backer gets worn. 

My 8 year old holster is kydex on leather with trigger guard covered.

https://celticholsters.com/

No thanks. 

And it will Not make fe feel more comfortable. I already am.

1 minute ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I very well could be wrong but last I knew crossbreed wasn’t doing this yet , not sure about alien gear either. They are probably two of the most popular. I have a couple of the Celtic holsters also they are very comfortable, the way they mold the trigger guard is the reason I first tried them. Seems like I’m always looking for a better holster. 

28 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I still say a manual safety alleviates the need for any such gimmick. Unfortunately Glock thinks their gun is perfection and that us civilians don't need a manual safety... even though they'd be more than happy to provide one on LE or military contracts.

When I carry a striker-fired pistol it's always a SIG or Smith & Wesson. Mine have manual safeties.

13 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

He also built me a horizontal mag holder for a 2011 mag when I couldn’t find anyone else making one. Now mag holder is making them for many more models. I find the horizontal ones a better way to carry a extra mag . 
https://magholder.com

Just now, Buckshot Bob said:

He also built me a horizontal mag holder for a 2011 mag when I couldn’t find anyone else making one. Now mag holder is making them for many more models. I find the horizontal ones a better way to carry a extra mag . 

Good folks to deal with!

38 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Thanks. I need one of those mag holders. 

",,,,Wouldn't the more better solution be to "take your finger out of the trigger guard you stupid booger-eating moron"?..."  i agree , its one of the key safety rules , 

On 9/30/2022 at 1:15 PM, Alpo said:

Lemme see if I understand this correctly.

The Glock super fantastic plastic pistol has a trigger, and it has a trigger guard, and the trigger is narrower than the trigger guard. It furthermore has a safety - although it is not called a safety - which is this Dingus in the middle of the trigger. And the Dingus has to be pulled before the trigger can be pulled.

So the way you accidentally shoot yourself with a Glock super fantastic plastic pistol, is when you are holstering your pistol you still have your finger in the trigger guard, and the holster lip pushes your finger against the Dingus and against the trigger causing the gun to fire.

So now they're making this thingajigger (I started to call it a Dingus but I'm already using the word dingus) which will allow you to push back against the Dingus on the trigger so when you stupidly still have your finger in the trigger guard when you attempt to holster the gun you can't pull the trigger.

Have I got that right?

Wouldn't the more better solution be to "take your finger out of the trigger guard you stupid booger-eating moron"?

On 9/30/2022 at 4:15 PM, Alpo said:

Dang, Alpo.  You’re two for two on your commentary. I was thinking the same but you said it quicker and better. 

Everybody likes to talk about Glock “Negligent Discharges”, but the funny thing is I have personally heard of more ND’s from people handling and using other brands and types of guns, from 1911s to DA revolvers than I have with Glocks. 

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Everybody likes to talk about Glock “Negligent Discharges”, but the funny thing is I have personally heard of more ND’s from people handling and using other brands and types of guns, from 1911s to DA revolvers than I have with Glocks. 

Interestingly, my experience has been quite the opposite, particularly during the holstering process. Unless you're talking the aggregate of other brands and types vs. Glock, them possibly.

Of course, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable holstering my Glock so much as confused, as I don't own a Glock. Nope, nothing against them, and I've recommended and sold plenty. They just never felt "right" in my hands. Purely a subjective thing.

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Right now there are probably more Glocks being carried by law enforcement and private citizens than any other pistol. Let alone if you count all the striker fired without a manual safety. The sig doesn’t even have a dingus on the trigger. So it would just make sense they would have the most nd/ad’s . Just because of the sheer numbers 

Archived