SASS Wire Forum

SAA Serial Number Conundrum

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

According to most sources I have been able to find, SAA serial number are as follows...

1st Generation.

1-357859

2nd Generation

0001SA-73205SA

3rd Generation

SSA80000-SA99999, S02001A-current production

How then can there be an SAA for sale on Gunbroker, at this very moment, with a serial number of SA27100?

This is not the first time I have seen a Colt with such an "out of range" serial number.   Nothing comes up when you search for this number on Colt.com, and I have had the same result, number not found, with one of my 3rd Gen Sheriff's models. 

Anybody know what's going on?

According to my little Colt book it says 22000 was made in 1876.  33000 was 1877.  This book doesn't have the SA or SAA prefix on anything.

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

According to my little Colt book it says 22000 was made in 1876.  33000 was 1877.  This book doesn't have the SA or SAA prefix on anything.

Without the SA it would be a 1st Generation gun.   Those come up on the Colt Website.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

According to most sources I have been able to find, SAA serial number are as follows...

1st Generation.

1-357859

2nd Generation

0001SA-73205SA

3rd Generation

SSA80000-SA99999, S02001A-current production

How then can there be an SAA for sale on Gunbroker, at this very moment, with a serial number of SA27100?

This is not the first time I have seen a Colt with such an "out of range" serial number.   Nothing comes up when you search for this number on Colt.com, and I have had the same result, number not found, with one of my 3rd Gen Sheriff's models. 

Anybody know what's going on?

What's going on is your number range above is way off.  

99999SA and SA00001 were both made in '78.   My two Colt 44 Spcl SAA's were both made in '78, one with a late SA suffix, and one with an early SA prefix.   

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Without the SA it would be a 1st Generation gun.   Those come up on the Colt Website.

None of the serial numbers in my book have the prefixes. They just list the numbers. 
 It’s not by Colt it’s by R.L. Wilson 

40 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

None of the serial numbers in my book have the prefixes. They just list the numbers. 
 It’s not by Colt it’s by R.L. Wilson 

He may have written the book before the gun was made. But, anything written by Wilson has to be read with a jaded eye. After his fraud was exposed everything he wrote has to be judged if it would aid in his sales by establishing provenance in his books. Many things now have to be questioned as being true or not.

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

3rd Generation

SSA80000-SA99999...

This range is wrong.   Should read 80000SA-SA99999

Archived