SASS Wire Forum

Nolan Ryan

J-BAR #18287

In 1988 we took a spring break vacation to Disneyworld in Orlando.  We watched the Houston Astros practice.  I got a snapshot of Nolan Ryan signing a baseball for my 14 year old son.  If I can find it, I’ll post it.  Anyway…

Netflix has a documentary, “Facing Nolan”.  Baseball fans should enjoy it.  

If you don’t like baseball, your loss.

I never played baseball but occasionally enjoy watching. I think I missed out on enjoying playing baseball but I was busy with other sports.

Field of Dreams connected something within me to baseball, as corny as it sounds.

I'll definitely watch the Netflix show. Thanks for the heads up, J-Bar.

6 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I've seen discussions about the hardest, fastest throwing pitchers in MLB history. They say there's no debate that anyone else threw as hard for as many years as he did.

Pretty sure Bob Feller would have come close if he hadn't missed 4 seasons to join in WW2. He was a fireballer too!

Feller had 18 seasons so add 4 if he didn't go to war (he signed up) that would be 22

Nolan Ryan had 27 

Coincidentally, I was looking at Nolan Ryan’s stats last night.  He once struck out 383 batters in a single season.  He also threw a pitch recorded at 108 mph, although some question the accuracy of the equipment used to clock the pitch, (Some say it was faster. Others say slower). Both are modern day records.  He has several more!

In my opinion, he should have been voted into the Baseball Hall Of Fame unanimously!  He only ever did what was best for  Major League Baseball and was/is one of those players that kids should emulate, a true sports hero!!

Interesting tidbit on Bob Feller way back in the day

The machine, called the "Lumiline Chronograph," used photoelectric cells to clock the object that passed through the device's opening. Feller's second pitch was the fastest one, clocked at 98.6 mph. Here's a photo of Feller throwing into the machine. Weintraub writes:

However, since the machine measured the speed of the ball as it passed through its sensors, unlike modern radar guns that clock the ball as it leaves the pitcher's hand, it actually flew much harder. Some estimates put the fastball at 101-103 mph, others as high as 107.6 mph.

If you have Amazon.com on your TV search for documentary "Fastball".  I have watched it a couple of times.  About the fastest pitchers of all time and interviews with

hitters on facing some of the greatest pitchers of all time.  An entertaining and fascinating watch.

This is also on YouTube if you do not have Amazon and want to watch it.

Had the pleasure of getting Nolan Ryan's autograph on a Baseball which I still have after a game. His ranch in Alvin, TX was across from the old Amoco Chemical Plant in Alvin, TX.  Many times he would talk to workers as he rode the fence line. My few times in Alvin, being involved in a project there I saw him once riding the line but couldn't get away. Had a chance to transfer there permanently, but the cockroaches and gators made the wife decide not to move. Our stay in the Holiday Inn, the tub was filled with cockroaches and the table at restaurant they roamed freely.

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Coincidentally, I was looking at Nolan Ryan’s stats last night.  He once struck out 383 batters in a single season.  He also threw a pitch recorded at 108 mph, although some question the accuracy of the equipment used to clock the pitch, (Some say it was faster. Others say slower). Both are modern day records.  He has several more!

Seven no-hit games, (Sandy Koufax had 4), 5714 strikeouts (Randy Johnson is second with about 4800)...the list is long.

Link to an article on "Facing Nolan":

https://wtop.com/entertainment/2022/07/nolan-ryan-documentary-facing-nolan-throws-streaming-fastball-for-mlb-fans/

Yup, back then opposing pitchers were really careful not to hit on of Ryan's teammates at the plate. They knew their players would pay big time for that! And I loved when Robin Ventura charged the mound! OOPS!

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Yup, back then opposing pitchers were really careful not to hit on of Ryan's teammates at the plate. They knew their players would pay big time for that! And I loved when Robin Ventura charged the mound! OOPS!

YEAH!!  Ryan sports a right nasty uppercut!!

I don’t recall which great hitter said it, but he said that when batting against Ryan , he could never get around the thought that the very next pitch COULD be the one that killed him!!

Ryan’s attitude was”Here it comes! Hit it if you can!”  He also had an extremely short memory.  If you DID hit his best pitch, the next batter was getting more of the same!!

Nolan Ryan received ONE World Series ring. He pitched in relief for the ‘69 Miracle Mets!

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Pretty sure Bob Feller would have come close if he hadn't missed 4 seasons to join in WW2. He was a fireballer too!

Feller had 18 seasons so add 4 if he didn't go to war (he signed up) that would be 22

Nolan Ryan had 27 

I don't know what Fellers reputation was as far as how hard he threw toward the end of his career. Ryans last no hitter was at age 44. It is hard to compare players from different eras. Think what Ted Williams stats would be without 2 stints in the service also.

Found it, but memory is going:  it was 1986, my son was small for his 11 years, and he has been bald since age 6.  Alopecia areata. 

Mr. Ryan was very gracious and approachable.  A wonderful memory.

23C812FC-C882-429D-A7B8-5EB6E974B8CC.thumb.jpeg.fa7691526b1beb87d1e8c184865f5b51.jpeg

36 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Found it, but memory is going:  it was 1986, my son was small for his 11 years, and he has been bald since age 6.  Alopecia areata. 

Mr. Ryan was very gracious and approachable.  A wonderful memory.

23C812FC-C882-429D-A7B8-5EB6E974B8CC.thumb.jpeg.fa7691526b1beb87d1e8c184865f5b51.jpeg

He was/is one of Baseball’s all time greatest ambassadors!

Those WERE some of the ugliest uniforms ever!!

The team was originally the Colt 45s!!

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Nolan Ryan had 27 

They have a plaque and a photo on Feller’s. Bunk on the USS Alabama in Mobile Bay.

Thanks J-Bar for the suggestion.  I just finished watching it and thoroughly enjoyed "Facing Nolan."

My baseball position was catcher and I thought I'd caught for some pretty good pitchers.  I had an opportunity to try and hit 100 MPH fastballs from a pitching machine.  Although I was never a power hitter, I always had a high batting average and was generally the lead off hitter, which gave me a big head.   However, I never faced a 100 MPH pitch.  It took all the intestinal fortitude I had to stay in the batters box when a 100 MPH pitch would come literally whistling out of that machine.  I took five pitches--all strikes.  My bat never touched the ball. 

I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like to step into the batter's box and face 100+ MPH pitches from Nolan Ryan!!! 

Gives me the queezies just thinking about trying to catch for him...

Being a hard throwing rightie and growing up in the 70’s/80’s I loved watching him pitch. I vividly remember his no hitter against the doyers in ‘81. 
I read an interview somewhere a long time ago. I believe it was with Randy Johnson and Roger Clemens about the purpose pitch. Clemens had no issue with hitting batters while Johnson felt that if you hit one and he walked it off, part of the intimidation was gone. 
Having faced a fair bit of mid 90mph fastballs, the Express was not something i would have wanted bouncing off my noggin, or ribs. 

I've searched to no avail to find and interview I saw with Pudge Rodriguez when he entered the Hall of Fame on the first time he caught Nolan. They had like a briefing with the two and the manager or some such. Ryan sat thru the session looking very bored. Finally Ryan said "Let's keep it simple. Can you show me one finger for a fastball, two for a curve?" Pudge said he could handle that. Ryan said "You do that and put your mitt where you want the pitch and I'll throw the ball in it." Worked quite well. Nolan threw a shutout and requested Pudge next time he pitched. I hope I got the details right. You can dock my pay if I didn't. :P

JHC (BIG Nolan Ryan fan)

In the documentary “Facing Nolan”, it says Robin Ventura declined to be interviewed!  Robin Ventura was ejected from that game.  Nolan Ryan continued to pitch after the fight.  :lol:

Ryan said it was Bo Jackson that helped him up off the ground and kept him from being suffocated!

Archived