SASS Wire Forum

Wolf or Dog?

Well, aside from skinning it and posting the pictures on Facebook, I don't see her done anything wrong.

People from the city, who for some reason or other decide they no longer want the dog they have, take it out in the country and let It go. "Some farmer will find it. It'll have a good home."

Yeah right. It'll go feral and kill domestic livestock. People that live out in the country, that see dogs running loose, routinely kill them. They don't want their horses/cows/sheep/goats/pigs/chickens killed by feral dogs.

The bad guy in this story is the one that let the dog out in the country.

You don't want to have a dog that looks like a wolf out here if it ever gets away from you.  One wolf can ruin a rancher's livelihood, so the measures are harsh.  A large, bright colored collar will do the trick unless the animal is caught killing stock.

What a flippin’ dumbass! She deserves all the crap she’s getting. Maybe she’ll educate herself on her prey next time. Moron!

I can’t abide poachers or idiot hunters. 

If a dog came up to me in the woods, acting aggressive - which she said it was doing - I would shoot the son of a bitch whether it looked like a wolf or a beagle or a French poodle or a chihuahua. I have been dog bit. It hurts. That's one of the reasons I carry a gun, and if I have anything to say about it I will never get dog bit again.

Just yesterday my neighbor called about n aggressive white dog in her yard. She is wheel chair bound and we live in the country surrounded by farms. It’s a favorite place for local city folk to dump their unwanted animals. She couldn’t let her little dog out and the dog rushed her door when she tried to go out. I told her to call animal control. 

An an hour later they showed up an had one hell of of time getting the dog. Very aggressive white pit bull.  It was put down. 

I agree with Alpo. If the dog is aggressive , protection of yourself is the foremost priority! Don’t dump your pets on my property, just because I have a farm doesn’t mean I want your trash! Go back and stay in the city and care for your animals like I do mine!

One more note.  I had forgotten about till now

Almost ten years ago, I received a call that my riding buddies wife had gone for a walk on their property and had not returned after 6 years hours

She and my buddy lived on 200 plus acres, most of which was owned by her grandmother that passed. They sold 180 acres and her house to some one that built a new home. Someone dumped a pit bull in their are and the neighbor started feeding it. (No, I’m not against pit bulls, it just happened to be one). Karen Gillespie decided to take a walk up the hill to a cave on the property. On the way back she was attacked by the pit bull. Karen was about 115 pounds and only 5’2.  No chance!  

We we found her just after daybreak. Throat ripped out. It took a court case to have the animal put down. 

Never! Never! Trust what someone dumps on you

Over the years numerous dogs, cats, emus, pregnant pot bellied pigs, peacocks, etc… and such have been dumped on our property. I shot a very emaciated, mean Rottweiler that came into my shop one day and I found out later that animal control had been looking for him for about a week before he got shot but couldn’t find him. The only thing the lady did wrong was post pictures on social media. Probably nothing more heartbreaking than to stop at the end of your driveway and look into a box that had been left there with 8 little puppies in it and 5 of them dead, ought to be a special place in hell for people that dump their pets.

The farm I hunt was overrun by cats that started making more cats with some heavy inbreeding. Did I say WAS? Took a few years to whittle them down without the property owner knowing it plus more were getting dropped off. They are down to one or two now. Dang, them coyotes is busy!

5 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

The farm I hunt was overrun by cats that started making more cats with some heavy inbreeding. Did I say WAS? Took a few years to whittle them down without the property owner knowing it plus more were getting dropped off. They are down to one or two now. Dang, them coyotes is busy!

When we lived in Indiana, a neighbor had 35 cats! 35! I woman commented that that was okay because they were no different than bobcats. I said, nature doesn't have 35 bobcats per 40 acres!

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

Well, aside from skinning it and posting the pictures on Facebook, I don't see her done anything wrong.

People from the city, who for some reason or other decide they no longer want the dog they have, take it out in the country and let It go. "Some farmer will find it. It'll have a good home."

Yeah right. It'll go feral and kill domestic livestock. People that live out in the country, that see dogs running loose, routinely kill them. They don't want their horses/cows/sheep/goats/pigs/chickens killed by feral dogs.

The bad guy in this story is the one that let the dog out in the country.

I agree. Feral dogs can do more damage than coyotes. They are less fearful of men. I shot six dogs over a few years when we had a small farm. The dogs would jump the fence and kill goats and chickens. I begged my nieghbors to keep their dogs on their property. One tried to attack my daughter when she ran to protect her goats. The last straw was two dogs that got in the pen and killed a few kid goats. The owners had just moved to the country and thought they could just let their dogs run loose. And run they did. They started six miles from my house. Imagine if I had a 100-pound rooster roaming the area. They would have been calling the army out! But, having a 140 pound dog running loose was okay in their eyes.

6 minutes ago, Cholla said:

When we lived in Indiana, a neighbor had 35 cats! 35! I woman commented that that was okay because they were no different than bobcats. I said, nature doesn't have 35 bobcats per 40 acres!

The turning point for me was when one walked by my stand with a bluebird, headed for the house. I got him the next day.

I saw a video the other day. YouTube. Shooting feral cats in Australia. Not hunting. Putting out live traps (if they caught wild animals, they would release them), and then putting the muzzle next to the skull and pulling the trigger.

Said there are several million feral cats in Australia, and they have already caused several species to become extinct.

30 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I saw a video the other day. YouTube. Shooting feral cats in Australia. Not hunting. Putting out live traps (if they caught wild animals, they would release them), and then putting the muzzle next to the skull and pulling the trigger.

Said there are several million feral cats in Australia, and they have already caused several species to become extinct.

30 years ago there was an article in Outdoor Life (I think) in which the writer stated that one feral cat kills 1,000 small animals per year. I have no idea how he came up with that number but they do an incredible amount of damage.

9 minutes ago, Cholla said:

30 years ago there was an article in Outdoor Life (I think) in which the writer stated that one feral cat kills 1,000 small animals per year. I have no idea how he came up with that number but they do an incredible amount of damage.

Was an old woman that lived alone just down the road. Mom use to check on her. The old woman had a cat.  Said it was a good cat.  She never had to feed it as it always caught a quail,  rabbit or squirrel to eat.  

Feral dogs are real problem in our area.  They have learned they can kill calves when cows are giving birth.  Neighbors had two they witnessed in action in one year. Back when we had cattle,  I heard a dog have something at bay and a cow throwing a fit.  Took a rifle.   A dog had a cow and new born calf cornered and was trying to drive cow away from her calf.  I fixed that problem.

32 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Audubon Society came up with that, I think.  Domesticated cats that go outside, are no slouches.  When I was a boy, my cat would bring me gifts.  Usually mice or rats on the doorstep, once in a while a tree rat or a bird.

Per Colorado law any dog worrying livestock may be killed.  That basically means if the dog makes the cattle look at it and is nervous, you can legally kill the dog.  Most farmers I know just use the 3S’s shoot, shovel, and shut up.   

just because you live in the country doesn’t mean you can let your dogs roam.   They pack up and can be deadly to people and livestock.  

I get it if the dog was menacing and possibly attacking her, I would have done the same thing. I would not however posted pictures and made a rug out of it!

We only have her word that the dog was going to attack her. Hmmm

20 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What a flippin’ dumbass! She deserves all the crap she’s getting. Maybe she’ll educate herself on her prey next time. Moron!

I can’t abide poachers or idiot hunters. 

She is not a poacher or idiot. Read the article

20 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

She’s a fool, that’s obviously a Husky! She should at least pay a hefty fine!

What would the charge be?

2 hours ago, Grass Range said:

Animal cruelty? I don’t know???

It may have been hard to fully identify it as a non-wolf depending on how fast it was moving or how much cover was in the way. In hunting situations we often only have a second or two to make a decision. Many hybrid wolf owners want their "dog" to look as wolf-like as possible and wolves can have different colors and patterns. I hunt coyotes and some have desirable colors and some don't.  I most likely would have shot it as well, but I would have done the three S's and not posted it on FB. Shooting a feral dog is not against the law and often desired by state and local law enforcement as it prevent animal and human attacks down the road. As long as she didn't torture the dog, it wouldn't be animal cruelty anymore than shooting a deer, pig, or cow for that matter.

The question now is, what is she going to do with the pelt? I have read Russians have their pet dogs tanned and made into coats and hats to they can be reminded of them forever, just like Roy Rogers and Trigger.

All the farmers I knew would kill their favorite dog if they caught it chasing livestock. We had hunting dogs and hunted coyotes with them a lot. Most of the time we could collect all the dogs at the end of the hunt but sometimes things didn't always work out. Dad and the others that  hunted with dogs in our neck of the woods put the word out that if hunting dogs showed up at your house not to feed or give them water. It was preferred to take a broom and chase them off so that they could come home.

It was also known that if one was chasing livestock that it was ok to shoot it. Just return the collar so we didn't spend time looking for a lost dog. 

There were way too many times that someone's pet would join a feral dog pack. While the owner was away at work the dog would run with the pack and cause trouble. But come time for the owner to return home and they were right there on the porch wagging their tail.

Farmers practiced the 3 S's a lot when I was a kid. I know of one pack that included over two dozen dogs. One day they caused trouble in the wrong place. By the time the last shotgun blast was fired 19 dogs were dead. 8 of them were easily identifiable as someone's pet that was being allowed to roam free. All wound up in a hole before dark.

As a kid I walked and hunted a lot of country. Only thing I was ever afraid of were feral dogs. After that day I never went anywhere without at least my 22 rifle. 

I don’t have a problem with someone shooting an aggressive dog in the woods “if that was the case” but to skin the dog and brag to her boyfriend about the WOLF she shot proves she is not capable of identifying her target/ wild life and should have her license revoked until she can pass a NRA hunters safety course or the next time she may be shooting a bear that turns out to be a black angus or horse

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

There were way too many times that someone's pet would join a feral dog pack. While the owner was away at work the dog would run with the pack and cause trouble. But come time for the owner to return home and they were right there on the porch wagging their tail.

This is it right here. We were having so many animals killed I stayed home from work one day to see what was happening. At daybreak I went into the hay loft and watched. I could see the valley in front of the barn well. As neighbor after neighbor went to work, the dog would trot out into the field at the valley bottom. As the last neighbor left, the last dog came out and they all headed towards our place. That night I went to all of them and told them what was going on. A few said they would keep their dogs tied up and a few said it was the country and they didn't need to tie their dogs up and one guy said the dog standing next to him wasn't his dog; go a head and kill it the next time it came down. He was correct. It wasn't his dog. It was his stepdaughter's dog. She came running down to our house begging me not not kill her dog. She said her stepdad would let her dog go after she left for school, hoping I would kill it.

Noteworthy of course that she said nothing about being attacked or threatened; quite the contrary. Until she started to get the negative publicity....

The whole thing in itself isn't such a big deal, but that sort of internet braggadocio leaves a bad taste: "Can't wait to tell my man I smoked a wolf pup", etc.

I guess if you want to put it out there to the whole world, that's what you get. Folks nowadays lament the demise of privacy, but it seems like millions actually don't want it.

8 hours ago, Grass Range said:

Your opinion. 

She’s an idiot = my opinion. 

Archived