SASS Wire Forum

WTS tricked out NM Vaquero's in 45ACP

Pair of stainless New Model Vaquero's.  3" barrels in 45ACP.  Super blackhawk hammers, short stroked with brass wrapped front sights.  The grip frames have been modified and are now 2 piece, same size as colt SAA and are fitted with red stag grips with colt medalian's.  Non seq. serial #'s.  Original boxes.

$2,500.00 delivered to your FFL

836EAB5E-B9DC-49E3-8D50-FFF916B4BDBF.jpeg

6503731D-8EC1-44A9-BC4E-6514D523CCFE.jpeg

7AAD5513-9C32-491B-B8EC-468C0160D86A.jpeg

6 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Colt never made any in stainless?

Colt Senior Vice President confirmed that the Colt stainless SAA models will be offered in the second half of 2011.

P1840S,1850S and 1870S, 45 Colt caliber only in the three standard barrel lengths.

SOURCE

The stainless steel Colts were advertised and even on the website for a short time but were never produced.  During that time period I attended the Shot Shows every year and bugged Colt about the stainless for a couple of years.  They finally came out with a finish that I have forgotten the name of but it was some kind of industrial satin finish that was supposed to be virtually scratch and rust proof.  Ordered a pair and even got them with factory wide spur hammers in 2011.

P1030968.thumb.jpeg.7e2ce161a008a9af9499835b9d685569.jpeg

Thats a nice looking set of guns and would love to have them shooters. Sending pm

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Blackie Lawless said:

This might sound like a silly question but how do you get 45ACPs to work in a vaquero?

You use the circular magazine, not the straight 1911 mag.  :rolleyes:

Assuming it is the same as the convertible Blackhawks, the cylinder is cut such that the front edge of the 45 ACP case hits a stop shoulder setting the depth of the round in the cylinder.  No moon clips or such required.  I've got a bicentennial edition Blackhawk with both the 45 Colt cylinder and matched 45 ACP cylinder.  Never had any issues with running 45 ACP's through it, with either new ammo or reloads, so apparently tolerances allow a variety of ammo.  At least my experience on the gun I have.

Johnny

On 10/3/2022 at 6:19 PM, Bluemound Cowboy said:

How hard would it be to find 45 colt cylinders to put in them?

Why in the world would you want to?? If you want a rimmed cartridge for Classic Cowboy, use C45S cases in them.

2 hours ago, Blackie Lawless said:

This might sound like a silly question but how do you get 45ACPs to work in a vaquero?

Same way you would with any other cartridge in a single action revolver; 9mm, 10mm, .40 S&W, .357 mag, .44 spl, .44-40, .45 Colt, etc. - open the loading gate, and drop 'em in.

5 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Why in the world would you want to?? If you want a rimmed cartridge for Classic Cowboy, use C45S cases in them.

Same way you would with any other cartridge in a single action revolver; 9mm, 10mm, .40 S&W, .357 mag, .44 spl, .44-40, .45 Colt, etc. - open the loading gate, and drop 'em in.

Looking for a set for mounted shooting have to use their ammo at events only 45 colt is provided

On 10/25/2022 at 12:27 PM, Johnny Knight said:

Assuming it is the same as the convertible Blackhawks, the cylinder is cut such that the front edge of the 45 ACP case hits a stop shoulder setting the depth of the round in the cylinder.  No moon clips or such required.  I've got a bicentennial edition Blackhawk with both the 45 Colt cylinder and matched 45 ACP cylinder.  Never had any issues with running 45 ACP's through it, with either new ammo or reloads, so apparently tolerances allow a variety of ammo.  At least my experience on the gun I have.

Johnny

24 minutes ago, Blackie Lawless said:

Ok just checking. I know you sometimes need moon clips for double action revolvers so that wouldn't seem capable on a loading gate single action seeing as they're rimless

If I understand it correctly, half-moon clips were originally invented to make use of plentiful supplies of .45acp in existing large frame S&W hand ejector and Colt New Service revolvers with minimal modification in order to supplement production of 1911 autoloaders. Both were labeled "Model of 1917" by the military. Today, a full-moon clip's role has shifted to providing the fastest possible reload in a swing-out DA revolver - less complicated, easier to use, and far less expensive than a speed loader. In a single action, the round headspaces on the case mouth, just as it does in an autoloader.

Archived