SASS Wire Forum

And Joe has squirrels…

Pat Riot

Earlier I happened to look out my window and spotted a groundhog under our bird feeders. 

F6FF7390-FDC2-41F8-B35C-E805F3BE4198.thumb.jpeg.a75304772d421c2bca8e1ce29d495cd5.jpeg

34F3CE9D-71DD-47B7-9BF1-0AADC50B88DC.thumb.jpeg.9d0041c4689a97670249d9e9a2e80182.jpeg

B9E1C261-A442-46F0-8A85-1A45DBDC534A.thumb.jpeg.8230b7a2d8b153f3cdd649a37d68780b.jpeg

527829DF-E2EF-4484-818E-81F1A450733E.thumb.jpeg.30349cff2f8a96bae435fc299dcafb4b.jpeg

The top picture is blurry. 
I thought we had squirrels scavenging the bird seed from our feeders. Looks like we have a groundhog. 
A couple of times I found a feeder on the ground and empty. I am really not sure groundhogs can climb so we may also have squirrels coming around but I have only seen a squirrel twice since we moved in here a few weeks ago. 

Never seen or heard of woodchucks climbing. Been told by a few, that they taste good though. I'm not suggesting anything by any means! :lol:

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

Whistle pigs can absolutely climb. I've seen them in trees twice in my life. 

Chances are he learned to shake it down though.

“Whistle pigs” :lol: Always makes me laugh. 
I remember my Dad taking me groundhog hunting and whistling loudly so they would stand right up and he would shoot them….shoot at them. ;)

i was going to suggest he shook it as well , ive seen the one in our yard shake the feeder pole till he got what he wanted as well , sometimes there's been a squill on the feeder , generally ends in a bit of a squable but its entertaining - the birds dont like either of them much , 

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Never seen or heard of woodchucks climbing. Been told by a few, that they taste good though. I'm not suggesting anything by any means! :lol:

They do taste good. They are very picky with their diet and like the best grains and vegetation.

(Only had it once and that was loooong ago!):rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

YEP, Groundhogs can and do climb.   Atleast those in Tennessee can.

..........Widder

10 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I shot one out of a tree that was probably 15 feet above me. Only one I ever saw climb.

My great aunt used to ask me that when I shot a young one, she would like to have it to cook. I was using a 243 at the time. I told her when I hit a young one that there wasn't much left of it to cook. 

8 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

They do taste good. They are very picky with their diet and like the best grains and vegetation.

(Only had it once and that was loooong ago!):rolleyes:

Hey, it just dawned on me that there is a very good chance that there are more than one on this property. How many head do I have to have before I am considered a “Rancher”?

Thinking even bigger, what about “Whistle Pig Baron”? 

I can see it now… (queue wavy lines like in Gilligan’s Island…)

I got me a Cadillac with a huge set of groundhog horns on the hood. Wearing an albino groundhog hair suit with matching groundhogboy hat…Land with whistle pigs as far as the eye can see…

It would be glorious! :lol:

12 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Shot one out of a tree years ago.  Seen a couple of others in trees.  Always in very early spring, when new buds and leaves were coming out. 

They're tasty when roasted, but a might greasy.

Archived