SASS Wire Forum

getting a bond SASS ready

Boomstick Bruce

So I won the derringer side match at WV showdown with Twin's Bond derringer. My derringer is an old 1960's (XXIII) EIG in 38spl which has put me in second more times than I can count but it needs to be retired, it's showing its hard life as a "competition gun" as opposed to the Saturday night special it was built to be... lol. Well since I finally won using a borrowed Bond, now I want my own Bond. I'm looking at getting one in 38spl with a 3" barrel for the added weight to reduce recoil and having the chambers opened up to accept 38S&W or buying a 2.5" .327 barrel and firing 32S&W short. Question is, what do I need to do to make it smoother and faster? Wolff does not have any springs listed for it. Twin's Bond is way smoother than any other one I have ever fired so, what's in the secret sauce???

40 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Shorten a std 1911 hammer spring to tune trigger pull.

I tried this with mine.  1911 spring too small diameter.  Used a hammer spring from Ruger 10/22.     GW

I used a spring from SP101. Cut about 4 coils off. Then shimmed with washers until it would reliably fire both barrels (bottom one needs more than top) 

Steal a fork from your kitchen, bend 2 tines back to make a tool to compress the spring. Put a towel over it or work inside a pillowcase because the 2 piece strut inside the spring will fly all over the place if you slip. Once mine shot across the room. I hunted all over for it. I almost gave up. Then saw it sitting on top of a Venetian blind! 

26 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Was it the ID that was to small for the hammer strut?

Yes    Mine is a low 4 digit number, do not know if different....  GW

Hey Bruce,

The way I did mine using the stock spring for about a dollar is...

Cut coils one at a time until ONE barrel fails to fire whatever primer you use(for me, it is federal). Then add 1/32 washers until both barrels fire. Doing this assures you, you have the absolute least spring tension working against you but still function. It takes different spring strength to fire each barrel just because of the geometry. 

No need for a "trigger job" as you would want to start the run with the trigger held back to overcome that rotating trigger. This action job if you would call it that helped me get into the .2 range starting my own beep.

Hope it helps!

YAY!!! Just got this baby!!!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/948526457

Once I get it in my hands, I'll buy the .327 barrel (and sell this one) and the extended grips (and sell these) then work magic on it...

On 9/27/2022 at 6:48 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Don't ruin the gun by rechambering to .38 S&W.  Simply use .38 Short Colt.

I was going to say the same thing.   There is much more to .38 S&W than chamber size.   The bore is also larger.   You'd really need a whole new set of barrels to do it right.   As much as I love the .38 S&W caliber, and REALLY want a derringer chambered for it, I have come to terms with the fact that the only way I'll ever find one is to locate an old Great Western or an FIE.

My own current derringer is a RG-17, chambered in .38 Special.   I run .38 Short Colts in it for SASS events.   My father used to carry it as a hideout gun.   Aside from the odd thumb safety on the left side, the thing looks very much like an original Remington.   With .38 Specials, it is surprisingly accurate.  I've never tested accuracy with the Short Colts, but it does well enough for me at the side matches.  

I used a stock Ruger 10/22 hammer spring, it's the same size as the Bond hammer spring but just a little longer but the wire size is smaller, I cut a coil or two off and it was perfect, I have done two for other pards because I had 5 or 6 of those spring from working on 10/22's

7 hours ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

I have a 32 H&R mag barrel.   Did not like it because not enough shell to grab and hole to small for stiff old hands.  Would be ok if only two shots on the side match.

Would you be interested in trading it for a 45lc/410 barrel?

5 hours ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

I used a stock Ruger 10/22 hammer spring, it's the same size as the Bond hammer spring but just a little longer but the wire size is smaller, I cut a coil or two off and it was perfect, I have done two for other pards because I had 5 or 6 of those spring from working on 10/22's

i have a bfs3 in my charger so i think the original spring is packed away with the rest of the trigger parts... i'll have to dig it up...

15 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

i have a bfs3 in my charger so i think the original spring is packed away with the rest of the trigger parts... i'll have to dig it up...

The Bond's I worked on the stock spring was .045 wire Dia. and 1.351 long. The Ruger springs I put in were .040 wire Dia. and I made them 1.420 long. Made a very nice trigger pull and Mine will fire Fed and WW primers. They were used springs, so they had spring set!

Archived