SASS Wire Forum

Route 66... just for fun.

A different rendition of the theme.

I liked it.  But then... I'm an old f@rt.  ^_^

16 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I liked it.  But then... I'm an old f@rt.  ^_^

Agreed.

I use to hate jazz.  After 30 seconds I found out I still do.

1 minute ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

People who don’t like jazz always take the same route home.

:lol: And people who are into jazz usually have to be taken home ‘cause they don’t know the way!! :lol:

Jazz is mostly three or more musicians playing different tunes at the same time!

Good jazz is good music, but most of it ain’t good!!

4 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

:lol: And people who are into jazz usually have to be taken home ‘cause they don’t know the way!! :lol:

Jazz is mostly three or more musicians playing different tunes at the same time!

Well, I suspect you missed a turn.  Have an extensive Jazz collection, including Dad's Records from Wartime and just after, never grows old.  Don't have anything much the last fifteen years here in Montana, but still hear good new  jazz on satellite in the car once in a while.  Like food or a lot of other things, a matter of taste.

6 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Well, I suspect you missed a turn.  Have an extensive Jazz collection, including Dad's Records from Wartime and just after, never grows old.  Don't have anything much the last fifteen years here in Montana, but still hear good new  jazz on satellite in the car once in a while.  Like food or a lot of other things, a matter of taste.

My taste goes to Blues and Classic/Southern Rock.  We’ve been known to slip a jazz riff into our stuff now and again. 11/8, 7/8, and the occasional 5/4 or a polytonic bass line when the mood strikes.

Nice!  I quite enjoy jazz.  Been listening to it, and playing it most of my life.  Curiously, this particular rendition didn't look like it was recorded live.  It appeared they were playing with a recording.  Here's another version of the same with some phenomenal musicians.  Lot of blues in this one:

That first one. The guitar was good. Could have done without the sax. Liked the bass player muchly.

It's not "Saint Lewis", it's "Saint Louie". Someone needs to explain that to the singer.

Now the second one, I watched it for 4 minutes, and they never once did Route 66. That git-tar picker was good, but he wasn't playing what he was supposed to be playing.

I assume the girl was going to sing and the guy with the base was going to pick, but the video was half over and they hadn't done anything yet, so I gave up on it.

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That first one. The guitar was good. Could have done without the sax. Liked the bass player muchly.

It's not "Saint Lewis", it's "Saint Louie". Someone needs to explain that to the singer.

Now the second one, I watched it for 4 minutes, and they never once did Route 66. That git-tar picker was good, but he wasn't playing what he was supposed to be playing.

I assume the girl was going to sing and the guy with the base was going to pick, but the video was half over and they hadn't done anything yet, so I gave up on it.

Ya didn't give it enough time.  They actually did the song.  :ph34r:

56 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Nice!  I quite enjoy jazz.  Been listening to it, and playing it most of my life.  Curiously, this particular rendition didn't look like it was recorded live.  It appeared they were playing with a recording.  Here's another version of the same with some phenomenal musicians.  Lot of blues in this one:

I love Diana Krall.

3 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Ya didn't give it enough time.  They actually did the song.  :ph34r:

In high school my brother had an album. It's like 20 minutes of noise played on the guitar by Steppenwolf, which finally became The Pusher.

I listened to it once, more and more impatiently, waiting for him to play the damn song.

I guess I'm becoming less patient in my old age.

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Good jazz is taking a good tune and and playing it correctly then each player takes a turn on a solo. That's good jazz. The stuff that some guys play like the out in left field stuff is not pleasing to the ear. This group does a nice job on this tune especially the solos! Guitar player is excellent!

I like this version as well!! Good musicians! Interesting that the drummer is playing brushes on this! Hmmm....I would have used sticks but it was cool!

13 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I heard her in concert here in Cleveland, she's great! 

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

So did I.

A decent band, a little bit better singer, but unlikely to ever hit it big.

There is a lot of different kinds of jazz, some of it I like and some of it I don't.

The biggest problem to is finding good new music, because what little I hear on the radio is either classic rock, songs I've heard a hundred times before and pretty much everything else, regardless of genre, is bad.

Youtube is good, Amazon Music is ok (some of it is free if you have Amazon Prime) and iTunes is very good.

i like jazz , that OPs version sounds a lot like what i recognize , but shes a bit different than a lot of the singers , i like it , regularly listen to it a couple times a week between my country , old rock and big band - crooners , depends on where im at , ive got the car on country , the garage on big band-crooners , the home office on old rock and my morning radio is news talk 

21 minutes ago, Alpo said:

If you want to hear it done jazz, you should listen to this.

However, if you wish to hear the best version, listen to this.

Nat King Cole had a great voice, excellent musician as well! I used to watch his tv show as a kid with my parents. I think he was the first black celebrity to get his own tv show. 

Archived