SASS Wire Forum

On Experience

Subdeacon Joe

My Dad said the first time something happened, it was experience. The second, education. The third, stupidity.

ive always heard that quote different - education was reading abut it and experience was doint it , but then thats not a lot different "save that" the quote implys you learn by doing it wrong and i dont recall my experience being 'just that' , it was more by learning from those that have been doing it a long time successfully , even as the vice president of a fair sized company i always listened to my people in the field - not all the feedback was worth much [some was just gripes] but a lot of it was well worth hearing and i always said i needed to learn something new every day , i still believe that , some of what im learning in retirement is far more subtle , a lot is about people , some not so good , but some very enlightening - things i never had time for in the past , 

i was in architecture/construction , that has a particular segment or two of humanity , now im seeing a lot of others and have time to really pay attention to in ways i never took time for back then , 

Will Rogers said "Some people learn by readin', some by watchin, and some by doin. And then some just gotta pee on the fence."

3 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Will Rogers said "Some people learn by readin', some by watchin, and some by doin. And then some just gotta pee on the fence."

....... electric fence ......

:excl:

:blush:

Wisdom and good judgement come from experience.

Much experience comes from lack of wisdom and good judgement.

I spent much of my childhood and later youth in the presence of people who had lots of experience and I listened to and learned from them!

I also did many things against my own better judgment and in direct conflict with knowledge gained from the experience of others!!

I now have the knowledge of my own experience and the reinforcement of others’ experiences to pass along to the generation that follows.

Maybe they will listen better than I did…. :rolleyes: :lol:

Archived