SASS Wire Forum

Codymatic???

Rancho Roy

I have an older Codymatic.....At least ten years old, maybe more. Bought it from a widow whos cowboy passed. Love the rifle. Never had an issue with it. 

My wife wants one......Anyone bought a Codymatic recently?  Any comments on quality, reliability, etc......

Are the same smiths that did mine, still doing current modifications?

Thanks!

I bought one three years ago.  I've found him to be very receptive to questions.  I've not had any problems with mine in the three years I've run it.

I have two that Cody did about 16 years ago, one that he did about 10 years ago, and have bought another used one that he did.  All of them are vastly faster than I can use.  First class service and great turnaround time.  

I heard somewhere that Cody does the work for Taylor's & Co when they sell a Taylor tuned gun.  I don't have any proof of this just what I have heard.

I shot with Cody this past weekend.  He is still going strong providing the same level of skilled work as always.  I have purchased nine of his rifles and they all still run just fine.

Cody guarantees his work.  He just replaced some springs on a rifle my friend bought used, at no charge.  I had one ejector go bad and Cody fixed it immediately.  He fabricates some parts that are not in the supply chain.  An all-around gun smith.

I have a used Codymatic I bought from another Cowboy. It is very smooth but 2 or 3 times a match it would not fire without recocking the hammer even with federal primers. I met Cody three days ago at the WV match and asked him if I could leave it with him to take a look at it. He took it home , fixed it overnight and brought it back the next morning.  He refused to take any money even though I was not the original owner. I have heard this same story from others. You can bet l will buy my next rifle from him !

Cody is still alive and kicking. Shot with him at the WV State Championship this past weekend. Folks were still leaving him rifles for work. He even donated two action jobs as door prizes. He won the match last year. Came in 3rd in the state this year. I won a new rifle case donated by Cody as a door prize. Also won a pound of Titegroup, 100 LP Federal primers, and a $25 Wild West Mercantile gift cert. Not bad considering the entrance fee was $90. Also won the really-really old Phart Category. Overall an excellent weekend. Was not an easy match with only 3 clean shooters out of a total of 65 participants. The rain also held up until we finished with a deluge of over 1/2" in 15 minutes.

I have 2 of his rifles in 45 Colt. I bought them probably 3 years apart from each other. The 2nd I bought 7 or 8 years ago. One is a Texas Brush Popper, the other is a 20" short rifle. Both are insanely perfect rifles.

I have a Codymatic that I bought used. First 73 that I have owned. I called him with some questions. He said “Stop by”. So I did. He fully stripped it with me watching to see how to do it. He even tweaked it a bit.  We chatted for quite a while.  All with no charge. You betcha!  He’s a nice guy. Highly recommend. 

Sam Sackett 

If I happened to stumble across another one at a cowboy shoot somewhere in the right caliber it will probably go home with me.

Right, Major? ;)

23 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

If I happened to stumble across another one at a cowboy shoot somewhere in the right caliber it will probably go home with me.

Right, Major? ;)

Yes, you need one in the "Lord's Caliber"... Some day you will get another.

:P

14 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Yes, you need one in the "Lord's Caliber"... Some day you will get another.

:P

I have 3 rifles in 44-40 but none is a Codymatic. Yet.

Codymatic is worth it. :D

On 9/26/2022 at 1:56 PM, Nickel City Dude said:

I heard somewhere that Cody does the work for Taylor's & Co when they sell a Taylor tuned gun.  I don't have any proof of this just what I have heard.

I spoke with Taylor yesterday. Yes, Cody does the action jobs on the rifles.

Archived