SASS Wire Forum

38 bolt in 45 frame...1873 rifle

Rancho Roy

I don't know for a fact, but I don't think there's any change to the receiver due to caliber, just internal parts.

Part of the problem is Uberti uses one size fits all on a lot of its parts.  Receivers, mag tubes, etc.  If you look at an "actual" .357 Uberti 73 you will see a huge gap around the bolt.  This gap is filled when the large caiiber bolt is installed.

17 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Guessing it might fit, but firing pin might be off center --again, just guessing.  

Why would anyone want to do that?

When I started this game, I went 38-40 for rifle and revolvers.......A few years ago I switched my rifle and my handguns and my wifes handguns to 38 special. But my wife kept shooting a 38-40.....Now I want everything to be 38 special.

I have a Uberti 38 barrel and half a dozen 45 and 38-40 rifles......Thinking about convertting her rifle to 38 if the bolt is a relatively easy fit. I've rebarreled dozens of rifles and handguns so that is no issue. The lathe and reamers stand ready.....

3 hours ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

The 45 receivers also have a cut out in bottom where bolt lower tab passes thru, 357 receivers don't. 

So you could convert large caliber to small caliber, but not vice versa (without milling that cut out) ?  That would be good to know!

Archived