SASS Wire Forum

A .410 With a 5 Round Cylinder

Subdeacon Joe

On 9/25/2022 at 8:10 PM, Rip Snorter said:

Sorry, 410 and awesome in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

I would say a .410 is an awesome small game and snake gun. Of course there's nothing it can do that a 12 ga can't do as well or better. When I was shooting a .410 as a button, we could never figure out why .410 shells cost more that my dad's 12. One of life's mysteries that remains unanswered to my knowledge.

JHC:wacko:

On 9/25/2022 at 8:05 PM, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Dispatch alligators

Can't say I have a lot of experience shooting gators (not many around here) but I think I'd want something with more horsepower if available.

JHC :P

15 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I would say a .410 is an awesome small game and snake gun. Of course there's nothing it can do that a 12 ga can't do as well or better. When I was shooting a .410 as a button, we could never figure out why .410 shells cost more that my dad's 12. One of life's mysteries that remains unanswered to my knowledge.

JHC:wacko:

Never had a 410, just 20, 16 and 12.  We did shoot dragonflies with 22 shotshells out of my Marlin Model 100 single shot ($10.95 Retail in the early '50's).  If you want a challenge!  Still have the rifle! Haven't shot it since my son was small 30 years ago.

On 9/28/2022 at 8:11 PM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Can't say I have a lot of experience shooting gators (not many around here) but I think I'd want something with more horsepower if available.

JHC :P

Been hunting alligators many times here in Texas. There are three legal methods. Bow and arrow, line or snare.  I use the line method, you bait a 12/0 or 14/0  hook with really nasty stinky chicken, the hook is on a leader of no less than 300 test braided nylon line which is then attached to no less than 500 pound test (if you want to make sure you dont loose the alligator) which is then attached by a rubber band to a long bamboo pole which you stick in the mud alongside the edge of the bayou.  The line is tied off to tree or use a 3 foot stack pounded into bank.  Adjust the bait to hang at least 18 inches to a couple feet above the water ( higher above water, the larger alligator is necessary to take bait. too high and your odds of catching anything is way down) and leave. Come back in the morning and reel it  in.  Once you get it alongside the boat you pop it with a shotgun at the back of the head where head meets body.  A .410 is enough I used to use a 12 gauge with 7 shoot but that made a heck of a hole plus it is  sort of hard to hold on a spinning mad gator with a 18 to 24 inch barrel shotgun.

Archived