SASS Wire Forum

A .410 With a 5 Round Cylinder

Subdeacon Joe

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Saw one at a local shop not long ago.

My only thought was "WHY?"

In theory, they would be great for pest control.  Load 45 Colt and 410, rotate the cylinder based on the varmint.  Problem is you need to switch the "chokes" based on shotshell or bullet.  

22 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

In theory, they would be great for pest control.  Load 45 Colt and 410, rotate the cylinder based on the varmint.  Problem is you need to switch the "chokes" based on shotshell or bullet.  

It will not chamber 45 Colt. 

Why can't I do the same thing with a pump gun?  Five rounds, about the same size, not as bulky, and I can get a used one for about the same price, maybe less...and I already know how to use a pump gun.  Seems to me be just one more "gee whiz I gotta have one" gun.

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Seems to me be just one more "gee whiz I gotta have one" gun.

I bought a Bond derringer for that exact reason. Just had to have it.

A 410 cylinder-fed shotgun?  No need to have one, but happy for those who do.

I am wondering about the barrel to cylinder gap and forearm flame cutting. :lol:

These things go for around $625. If they were like the Rossi Circuit Judge.45 / .410 that runs around $600-$700 and also shot .45 Colt it might be more interesting. Might…

https://www.d4guns.com/product/rossi-taurus-circuit-judge-45-lc-410/

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/firearms/brand/ROSSI/of3/45-COLT-AND-410-BORE

I have a Circuit Judge in stainless. Haven’t shot any 45 Colt in it yet…but it is fun and pretty accurate with .410 shells. 

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

What could be used to plug 2 chambers to make it legal for bird hunting?

I wonder if dummy rounds like A-zoom makes would be legal?

I'm sure other states have different rules, but here in Florida you only need to have your shotgun plugged if you are hunting migratory game birds with it.

I don't know about y'all, but the 410 would not be my shotgun of choice for duck and geese.

I suppose you could use it for dove, although my gun of choice for dove would be a 22 rifle, and I'd shoot them in the head and they were roosting in a tree.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am wondering about the barrel to cylinder gap and forearm flame cutting. :lol:

These things go for around $625. If they were like the Rossi Circuit Judge.45 / .410 that runs around $600-$700 and also shot .45 Colt it might be more interesting. Might…

https://www.d4guns.com/product/rossi-taurus-circuit-judge-45-lc-410/

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/firearms/brand/ROSSI/of3/45-COLT-AND-410-BORE

It has a shield around the cylinder gap. 

33 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I suppose you could use it for dove, although my gun of choice for dove would be a 22 rifle, and I'd shoot them in the head and they were roosting in a tree.

Doves are migratory birds by Federal law.   A shotgun plugged to a maximum of 3 shells is required to hunt them.

https://www.fws.gov/story/2021-12/information-dove-hunters

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Doves are migratory birds by Federal law.   A shotgun plugged to a maximum of 3 shells is required to hunt them.

https://www.fws.gov/story/2021-12/information-dove-hunters

Did not say I would be obeying the law. Said that it would be my gun of choice for dove.

Actually, I used to have some rubber expanding plugs with a screw head to make them expand.  They had a flange at the top that could easily be cut off.  With the proper size inserted and expanded, if you didn't have a screwdriver on your person, you might be good to go.  You'd have to confirm with your local Fish & Wildlife folks.

6 hours ago, Adolph Vancinghand, SASS #28923 said:

As the late, great Col. Jeff Cooper described double action in an auto pistol, "an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem".

But hey, grab one if it suits you!

Thanks. Glock 43X, please. :D

Or perhaps a Glock 45, 9mm with the threaded barrel and suppressor sights. ;)

You can keep your single action auto pistol. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thanks. Glock 43X, please. :D

Or perhaps a Glock 45, 9mm with the threaded barrel and suppressor sights. ;)

You can keep your single action auto pistol. 

I wasn't aware that Glock made any double action pieces...only Safe Actions.

But then, I've been a card-carrying Luddite since the '70s...so I'm often the last to know.

23 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

What could be used to plug 2 chambers to make it legal for bird hunting?

My first gun was a rossi circuit judge, as a newbie, I thought that i could economize and get a do anything gun that would work for light game, home defense, plinking and maybe deer... it was a good experience in what didn't work for me and I traded it before too long.

as far as plugging two chambers, the rossi came with a double chamber plug that was held together by an arc of plastic that resembled a 2 shot semi-moon clip.

i just heard 410 shells were going for $30 a box , im glad i sold/traded off all my 410s a long while back , i still have a pair of tubes for my 12ga but i bet i only have a handful of shells , if i need them , 

27 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i just heard 410 shells were going for $30 a box , im glad i sold/traded off all my 410s a long while back , i still have a pair of tubes for my 12ga but i bet i only have a handful of shells , if i need them , 

I still have my first shotgun, a Mossberg .410 bolt gun. Killed many a dove with it when I was a button.

JHC

On 9/26/2022 at 1:31 PM, Adolph Vancinghand, SASS #28923 said:

As the late, great Col. Jeff Cooper described double action in an auto pistol, "an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem".

But hey, grab one if it suits you!

I thought Col Cooper made that reference to a recoil spring guide on a 1911. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

JHC ;)

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I thought Col Cooper made that reference to a recoil spring guide on a 1911. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

JHC ;)

It would not surprise me in the least to find out that he has been quoted as saying that. He gets quoted for a lot of stuff that he never said.

Back when he was alive he came up with conditions for carrying a gun.

Condition 3 was a loaded magazine but an empty chamber. Condition 2 was a loaded magazine and a loaded chamber with the hammer down. Condition 1 was a loaded magazine and a loaded chamber with the hammer cocked and the safety on. That's it - three conditions of carrying a gun. Now I frequently see "Cooper's five conditions". They have added Condition 4 which is an empty gun. Empty magazine and empty chamber. And then they have Condition 0, which is a loaded magazine and a loaded chamber and the hammer cocked and the safety off.

Cooper never said anything about a Condition 4 or a Condition 0. Someone has dreamed them up and claims Jeff Cooper named them.

Then we have "Cooper's four rules of gun safety". And rule number one, when people start spouting "Cooper's four rules", is "treat all guns like they are loaded". Colonel Jeff never said that. Colonel Jeff never came up with "four rules for gun safety". What he had were the four rules of gun handling at Gunsite range.

Rule number one was not about "treat your gun" anything. Rule number one was a simple statement of fact. Gunsite is a hot range. Most ranges are cold ranges. If you are not physically standing at the shooting line, your gun is supposed to be empty. Gunsite is a hot range. Guns are loaded at all times. You're standing around waiting to shoot, and your gun is loaded. You walk up to the line, and your gun is loaded. You shoot your targets, reload your gun and reholster it, then walk off the line and your gun is loaded. And the first statement of Cooper's four rules is simply ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED.

fbb4cf8d7a5ecd9b0c93a13a293ca75f.jpg

14 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I still have my first shotgun, a Mossberg .410 bolt gun. Killed many a dove with it when I was a button.

JHC

Mine was an H&R single. Still have it.

16 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

JHC ;)

I've no idea whether Cooper ever said that or not...but he certainly should have!

It baffles me to this day how I managed to wear out my old gold Cup and it not having a recoil spring guide. Just lucky, I guess!;)

2 hours ago, Adolph Vancinghand, SASS #28923 said:

I've no idea whether Cooper ever said that or not...but he certainly should have!

It baffles me to this day how I managed to wear out my old gold Cup and it not having a recoil spring guide. Just lucky, I guess!;)

I think recoil spring guides were just another useless item someone cooked up to make a buck off IPSC shooters (except me back in the day).  My IPSC comp gun has a captive recoil spring system, but it's a little different duck. I too have a Gold Cup I bought back in the 80's and the Govt. Model I traded it in for managed quite well without one. John Browning was a pretty sharp cookie. If the 1911 needed one I'm sure he would have included it.

JHC;)

I just noticed you're from Coleman Co. TX! I used to shoot IPSC there, used to work a lot of relief for Owl Drug. You wouldn't be the newbie IPSC shooter I once loaned a holster to and then he beat me with it, would you? I'm from Abilene originally, lived in Clyde for the last 25 years. I expect our paths have crossed somewhere. You know Tex Robin?

JHC :P

Archived