SASS Wire Forum

Preferred Shotgun Hulls?

Shepherd Book

Armay Bratt and I are coming to the end of our first CAS season and we are already planning on matches for next year.  Thanks to Tex Jones' topic on WW AA LNLR 12 ga ammo at Bass Pro and Cabela's I was able to order a case.  That got me to thinking about reloading this winter.  What ammo/hulls  do you all prefer to shoot and/or reload?  AA's?  STS's?  Thinking about what I need to concentrate on that I might not have on hand.  Thanks for your thought. pards!  SB

In order of preference

Remington STS or Nitro

Remington Gun Club

RIO or Fiochi

Winchester AA ( All other Winchester hulls are junk)

I used to prefer Federal Top Gun hulls over AAs but Federal changed their hull design and the metal used on the new style hull is too thin to be reloaded reliably.

Remington STS or (gold) Nitro hulls.   Smoothest hull wall, soft brass head cover, small volume internally.   Those first two design elements make those Remington hulls shuck easier and more reliably from the side-by-side non-ejector shotguns that most of us shoot. The smaller internal volume means it's easier to shoot a very light reload, like 3/4 ounce of shot moving at 900 FPS or so.  Lighter than the Win LNLR.

Federal now is producing that same exact design as their (Maroon) HOA (High Overall) shotshell.   Loads same, shucks same, but hard to find still.

Winchester AAs usually come in second in most folk's lists.   The AA has a design "difference" due to their inserted plastic base wad, rather than Remington's base wad being molded when the rest of the plastic hull is made.   That inserted basewad has a small top edge which can catch the skirts of wads pushed down deep in the hull, which then tends to make an outer hull wall bump 1/2" higher than the top of the brass head cover.   This CAN stick in tighter (factory) chambers of side-by-sides.

But, if you are shooting a pump or even  a well-set up lever shotgun, you MAY find that you can reload about any hull because of the positive extraction and ejection those shotguns can be tuned up to.

good luck, GJ 

I shoot an '87 lever action shotgun so I can use anything. '87s are great about that.

My TTN SxS however prefers Winchester AAs.

WIN AA but perhaps that's because I have thousands of them.  I organize two foursomes at an annual charity sporting clays shoot.  I donate the ammo and keep the empties collected by both teams, which increases my stock of once-fired AA hulls by 700+ shells each spring.

I have always used Win AA. If you look in the trash buckets near the unloading table after the match you can probably find a decent amount after each shoot. Also a good idea to find one or more people who only shoot new Win AA feather lites and do no reload. You an ask them if you can have their hulls and they normally dont mind

Remington STS by far for me.

The gold Nitro's are good. But never get a hold of those. 

Remington Gun Club is ok and will reload them also.

AA?? I don't even bother with them.

Even when someone gives them to me. 

They have really gone downhill over the years. 

On 9/25/2022 at 6:39 AM, Shepherd Book said:

Armay Bratt and I are coming to the end of our first CAS season and we are already planning on matches for next year.  Thanks to Tex Jones' topic on WW AA LNLR 12 ga ammo at Bass Pro and Cabela's I was able to order a case.  That got me to thinking about reloading this winter.  What ammo/hulls  do you all prefer to shoot and/or reload?  AA's?  STS's?  Thinking about what I need to concentrate on that I might not have on hand.  Thanks for your thought. pards!  SB

Ford vs Chevy Many swear by AA others swear at them.  Same can be said for the Remington STS.  In todays market what you can find is probably the best hull in the world for you.

I've used both, but prefer the STS for longevity. After these are gone, I have a couple thousand of the old one piece AA's to use next. The way my Mec is set, it doesn't seem to care which.

Archived