SASS Wire Forum

UPDATE:Another tour of the country, courtesy of the USPS

J-BAR #18287

Mailed our grandson in Conway, Arkansas ( just north of Little Rock) a t-shirt from Franktown, Colorado (just south east of Denver) on Monday morning.  Expected delivery was Thursday.  The package went from  Franktown to Denver, where it sat until Friday morning.  Then to Amarillo, Texas,  then Oklahoma City, Oklahoma by Saturday morning.  It arrived in Memphis, Tennessee at 3 Saturday afternoon.  Where it appears to be resting.

Any guesses where the next destination will be?

UPDATE:

After resting in Memphis since Saturday, the package resumed movement Tuesday evening.  Little Rock, and finally its destination town of Conway, Arkansas.  Not yet out for delivery, but maybe today, one week after the original estimate.

I know it’s not the biggest ever delay, but geez.

13 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Been there, done that a couple of times.  Sent a package Montana to Colorado and it toured the East Coast before eventually getting to the destination.  Sent one to Philly on the tenth fastest way, it got there yesterday.  

A little secret. First Class beats 2nd day every time. 

Apparently the automated scanners and lack of personnel are the problem.  Packages get shunted back into the scanning system.  When contacted, the folks at the Post Offices where the packages get "stuck" are very nice and helpful.  Our tiny post office is very good and the Post Mistress a neighbor.  I just tell her Fast or Lowest price.  She does the rest.

57 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

"Unable to deliver.  Return to sender."

Better than totally lost.  At least we could take it to him!

12 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Apparently the automated scanners and lack of personnel are the problem.  Packages get shunted back into the scanning system.  When contacted, the folks at the Post Offices where the packages get "stuck" are very nice and helpful.  Our tiny post office is very good and the Post Mistress a neighbor.  I just tell her Fast or Lowest price.  She does the rest.

If that's the reason, explain why it's been happening for forty years.

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

If that's the reason, explain why it's been happening for forty years.

Maybe I've been lucky, or didn't really bother much with the tracking, but the last two have been mind boggling.  2 weeks and ten days, one to each of my kids.

• J-BAR #18287 changed the title to UPDATE:Another tour of the country, courtesy of the USPS

It's too bad that packages can't take photos of itself at the various places it visits...kind of like stolen garden gnomes that the "thief" takes all over, photographs and eventually returns to the original site.

Sent a package to a friend in Australia! It took twenty-five days to reach the destination!! It went from here in Tennessee to three separate locations in Florida and then to two locations in Los Angeles. Then it went through Customs and on to Sydney, Australia. The package took a couple days rest when it got there. From there, it went back to LA and sat for a week.  I called the postal service and initiated an investigation.  The next day, it left LA and returned to Sydney!  It sat at the airport for another day or two and moved to another facility in Sydney.  It took up residence there until I called again and demanded an update on my investigation.  I was told that it could take up to thirty-two days to complete the inquiry and that there was nothing more that they could tell me.  Two days later, the package was delivered.

It traveled halfway around the world. In doing so, it crossed the Pacific Ocean three times, went through customs at least four times, and took the better part of a month to do it!!  

If I had sent myself , I would have had one HELL of a vacation/tour for my $45.00 postage fee!!! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Sent a package to a friend in Australia! It took twenty-five days to reach the destination!! It went from here in Tennessee to three separate locations in Florida and then to two locations in Los Angeles. Then it went through Customs and on to Sydney, Australia. The package took a couple days rest when it got there. From there, it went back to LA and sat for a week.  I called the postal service and initiated an investigation.  The next day, it left LA and returned to Sydney!  It sat at the airport for another day or two and moved to another facility in Sydney.  It took up residence there until I called again and demanded an update on my investigation.  I was told that it could take up to thirty-two days to complete the inquiry and that there was nothing more that they could tell me.  Two days later, the package was delivered.

It traveled halfway around the world. In doing so, it crossed the Pacific Ocean three times, went through customs at least four times, and took the better part of a month to do it!!  

If I had sent myself , I would have had one HELL of a vacation/tour for my $45.00 postage fee!!! :lol:

You may have a world record with that one!

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

You may have a world record with that one!

Maybe, but I doubt it!!  I DID get some insight into the international shipping system!!  I’m amazed that some of these people can find their own @sses without help!!

And in contrast, I mailed two different packages Monday, both were delivered today. From Arkansas, one to Illinois and one to New York.

I’ve mostly had better luck with USPS than any of those other mailing and shipping outfits!!

This is my first experience with international package delivery. Maybe this is what is normal for shipping overseas.

Archived