SASS Wire Forum

Did they not ground the Ospreys?

Utah Bob #35998

The USMC loves them.  Yes there were some serious growing pains but Iraq and Afghanistan allowed the Opprey to demonstrate its full capabilities. The Marines will fight tooth and nail to keep them.

Almost all recent mishaps have been pilot error.  

From Defense News: 

"This problem occurs when the clutch, which connects the propeller’s rotor gear box to its engine, slips. That causes the Osprey to transfer the power load to the other engine almost instantaneously so the aircraft can keep from crashing.

The original gear box’s clutch then reengages, the power load transfers back in a span of milliseconds and the large transfer of torque causes the Osprey to lurch,...".

The Marines opted for training the crews to deal with the issue. The Air Force has grounded them, for the time being.

YEP. USMC loves those half plane/half helicopter contraptions. The number of missions, and training exes they utilize them in makes the danger to success ratio very small.

I think they’re cool. They do make some racket. 
I used to have them flying over my house all the time when I lived near the Los Alamitos Air Base in CA.

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

I think the Marines and the Navy still use them and they bought / ordered more last Spring.

Yeah but I thought they grounded them all a short time ago after two accidents.

24 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Could be right, I'm not up to date.  I read a lengthy dissertation on how the value overcame the risk.  Someone wrote that the Airforce grounded them.  I don't think the USMC would.

15 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The USAF grounded the V-22 for two weeks after the second incident. The USMC didn't ground the V-22 but did implement additional training. to mitigate the the possibility of it happening and updated procedures for what to do when it occurs. 

This issue is not new and has been happening for quite some time. The USMC which flies the V-22 A LOT is seeing this happen once or twice a year. The USAF has seen it less frequently as they don't rack up the hours like the Marines do. However, after 2 occurrences in the  span of a few months, the USAF decided to ground the V-22 while they examined the issue in greater detail. After 2 weeks the USAF resumed flying the V-22. Like the USMC they have implemented new procedures and training.  

To date a permanent fix has not been found.

To my knowledge this issue has not resulted in the loss of any V-22s due to this issue.

I have always pointed out there is no such thing as a perfectly good airplane. ;)

Archived