SASS Wire Forum

A Question for the Multitude

SGT. M. F. QUINCANNON, #32999

Hello to All,

Asking for a friend. Given the choice of a standard U.S. Cavalry model by Pietta or an Uberti made 1875 Remington, nickel plated and with tru ivory grips, both in .45 Colt, what would be your choice. Not interested in a Colt, this is an either/or question. The 1875 is considerably more costly, almost half again as much as the Pietta. Your thoughts are welcome, and thanks for your time, everyone.

Hard to answer the question for "a friend."  I would tell you that the Uberti 1875 Remington is a beast of a gun.  I'm sure the Pietta Cavalry is big, but the Remington is a much more substantial gun.  If weight is an issue, they should go with the Pietta.

The grips are enough different that he really should handle both. I prefer my Colt gripped guns for duelist but the Remingtons work OK for me shooting 2 handed.  Not better than the Colt grip, just OK, but I ended up with a good deal on the Remingtons. If he has big hands he probably won't like the Remingtons, not as much room for the knuckles.

1 hour ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

The Remington handles differently.  If you like it, it may be worth the higher price.  If you don’t, it isn’t.

Dang sure sounds like a Pettifogger answer to me! :lol: (Ain't seen ya in a while....just yanking yore lawyer chain!)

Kajun

Well, you need two guns.  Why not go with one of each?   I have done it with almost the exact pair you describe.   I put the Colt...   Er...  an Uberti clone of a Colt in Cavalry configuration on my left hip, and a nickeled Uberti clone of the Remington on my right.  Had a blast.

Now, I should bring up how some folks will insist that both pistols need to have the same grips so you don't get mixed up by the difference.  Since I shoot double duelist style, using even radically different pistols has never been an issue for me as they are in different hands anyway.   Maybe if I shot them both with the same hand the difference would confuzzle me, but I tend to doubt it.   For example, I once handled a Colt Bisley, and I didn't like it.   It felt odd in my hand.  A couple of years later, I found one in .32-20 that was too inexpensive to pass up, and I figured why not, it would be nice to have one in the collection.   Then I shot it at a match.  In the heat of the stage, I really didn't notice the difference in the grips at all.   I just shot the stage.  Maybe it'll be the same for your friend with the Coltish and Remingtonish pistols.

Full disclosure, I'll never be in contention for a belt buckle.

4 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

The grips are enough different that he really should handle both. I prefer my Colt gripped guns for duelist but the Remingtons work OK for me shooting 2 handed.  Not better than the Colt grip, just OK, but I ended up with a good deal on the Remingtons. If he has big hands he probably won't like the Remingtons, not as much room for the knuckles.

There is actually MUCH more room behind the trigger guard on a Remington than even a Walker!

The grips on an 1875 Remington are NOTHING LIKE those on the “New Model” aka 1858!!

Must be the shape, then, because I bang the knuckle on the top finger with the Remmies but not an SAA's or Opentops.

1 minute ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Must be the shape, then, because I bang the knuckle on the top finger with the Remmies but not an SAA's or Opentops.

Are you talking about the Remington “Outlaw”/“Frontier” or the old cap ‘n’ ball model?  The 1875 has bigger grips and more distance from the front of the grip frame to the back of the trigger guard than any of the Colt copies!  The cap ‘n’ ball guns have a mush smaller space behind the trigger guard.  I went to the Outlaws for that specific reason. I wear size 3X gloves.  I put Army grips on my Colts and Colt copies for more room and they’re still smaller than the Remingtons.  Even my old Blackhawks are smaller than the Remingtons!!

Must be the way you were holding ‘em. :unsure:

Archived