SASS Wire Forum

Putin’s strategy

Utah Bob #35998

300,000 new troops with maybe 2 weeks training inserted into the battlefield environment will be successful.

The Ukranians can’t kill them all. They will therefore be inundated with thousands of prisoners. 

Brilliant, Vlad.

Life is really cheap for those who don't have to do the fighting.

I wonder what the conscripts reactions are going to be after a few weeks?

Ukrain should offer their POWs good, regular meals (whenever possible), a bed, a paycheck, and amnesty if they go back and fight for them.  They could also use them to guard the prisoners that they can't turn  and show then how good it can be to come on over. 

The ammo that Russia has been sending to the front has been really old stuff much of which did not work. What will they equip the 300,000 with?

I suppose he could get the tanks that are in WW2 museums running. They’ve only been sitting outdoors for 85+ years. Oh, and at least two of those museums are in Ukraine.

I shudder to think of Vlad making good on his threats or promises to resort to nukes... even "small" tactical atomic weapons.

Gee... how would our fearless leaders react?  :mellow:

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I shudder to think of Vlad making good on his threats or promises to resort to nukes... even "small" tactical atomic weapons.

Gee... how would our fearless leaders react?  :mellow:

Our leaders would blame, oh let's see...

Trump, MAGA folk, white people, the NRA, SUVs, oil companies, big pharma, Florida...

How would they react? See above and do nothing.

But maybe, doing nothing would be their best course as everything else they've done has been sooooo successful.

Howdy Pards

My military service was 02/64 to 05/69. Quiet at first but then something called Vietnam came up. You younger sprouts can google it but perhaps best to let that sleeping dog lie. While I received training at the Fort Sill School for Wayward Boys and unit exercises in Germany (I still shudder at the memories of Grafenwohr) Uncle Sam can take great relief that 

I wasn’t sent to the (then) RVN. 

Still, I take pride that during my military tenure there is no record of attacks on CONUS by the VC or NVA.

That said in jest, in all seriousness I am in absolute awe of those who did put boot prints “in country”. Ya dun well. You have my undying respect.

Keep on the sunny side 

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

I disagree that the world leadership would do nothing if Vlad uses tac nukes. There would be reprisals. I just hope he doesn’t once the genie is out of the bottle all bets are off.

On 9/24/2022 at 2:15 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

300,000 new troops with maybe 2 weeks training inserted into the battlefield environment will be successful.

The Ukranians can’t kill them all. They will therefore be inundated with thousands of prisoners. 

Brilliant, Vlad.

They can house them in Chernobyl.

I'm wondering if Putin is safe from being overthrown?  

Would the Russian military comply with employing tactical nukes? 

I truly expect every day when I first look at the news to see that Putin has been deposed.

Any Russian troops that surrendered likely are of little value as fighting men and wouldn't really benefit Ukraine for two reasons.

First is they are very poorly trained. Would take a lot of time and resources to correct that deficiency.

Second is one or more could be sleeper agents looking to sabotage Ukraine's war effort.

The best course of action is to treat them well and ship them off to a neighboring country for safe keeping until Vlad is removed from office. Put them up in a compound with three hots and a cot. Treat them well and allow them to correspond with loved ones back home. Once the word gets out that they will not be beaten or otherwise mistreated Vlad may find it hard to replace them as fast as they are surrendering. 

It also ensures that they are not a drain on the already limited resources in Ukraine.

17 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

A tactical nuclear weapon is one that explodes in someone else's country.

Interesting definition. :lol:

Just one little story in re: former Soviet Tech.  When it was discovered that ballpoint pens didn't work in Space, we buckled down and the free market came up with the Fisher Space pen.  The Russians used a pencil.  Stone axe simple sometimes is enough to go bang.  

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Just one little story in re: former Soviet Tech.  When it was discovered that ballpoint pens didn't work in Space, we buckled down and the free market came up with the Fisher Space pen.  The Russians used a pencil.  Stone axe simple sometimes is enough to go bang.  

Always a fun story.  However, from Scientific American:

But, alas, it is just a myth. Originally, NASA astronauts, like the Soviet cosmonauts, used pencils, according to NASA historians. In fact, NASA ordered 34 mechanical pencils from Houston's Tycam Engineering Manufacturing, Inc., in 1965. They paid $4,382.50, or $128.89 per pencil.

However, I suspect the budget-minded Russians just used their version of a #2 and a sharpener.  :lol:

image.png.e6a9f388d2b8e9afe5f1471c8c9056f3.png

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Always a fun story.  However, from Scientific American:

But, alas, it is just a myth. Originally, NASA astronauts, like the Soviet cosmonauts, used pencils, according to NASA historians. In fact, NASA ordered 34 mechanical pencils from Houston's Tycam Engineering Manufacturing, Inc., in 1965. They paid $4,382.50, or $128.89 per pencil.

However, I suspect the budget-minded Russians just used their version of a #2 and a sharpener.  :lol:

Do you truly believe that NASA could ever admit that the USSR beat them even in a tiny detail?  These days, history is fungible!

51 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I think the oligarchs are going to remove him at some point.  They want to get back to making money selling stuff, and for that they need trade with everyone else who’s isolating them with Vlad doing what he’s doing.

They probably want to remove him, the real question is can they? Putin has either the support of the the senior military (maybe) or more likely, the almost complete support of the FSB (and other internal security agencies).  

Russia doesn't have a history of taking out murdering dictators, after you get past the Romanovs.  Stalin lived to a ripe old age.  I think things will have to get much worse before Putin is taken out by his own people.  What has happened is, Russia has lost the fear factor of its military.  It may be much harder to influence those prior Soviet bloc countries in eastern Europe.  Finland is applying to NATO and is obviously not afraid of Russia.  I think Russia will step back after this is all over and lick its wounds for several years as its influence wastes away.

Stalin had tremendous support because of the war. He also benefitted fro having a largely uneducated agrarian society. And his stranglehold on the country through secret police, intimidation, pogroms, and imprisonment was absolute. If Germany had not invaded things might have turned out different. Hard to say.

Archived