SASS Wire Forum

Hurricane

Dawg Hair, SASS #29557

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As daylight comes, and the damage starts to come into focus, I pray that everyone made it through the maelstrom physically safe.  Things are replaceable, people not so much.

Be careful in the days ahead, check up on your neighbors and friends, and check in here so we know you are OK.

Prayers for a speedy recovery for all affected, and for all those still dealing (or about to deal with) this storm.

It's been downgraded to a Tropical Storm, still dangerous but maybe the worst is over for Floridians. Now the devastating cleanup begins!

Prayers up!! 

Thanks for the prayers.  We made it and only lost power briefly.  As soon as we are able to get out of our place, we'll go check on our neighbors as the back of our subdivision tends to flood.

Prayers continuing for the folks on the west coast.  They really need help.

My daughter convinced me to ride the storm at their house in Largo since they have engine generator and a portable  A/C, so I stayed.  Incredibly, Ian did the same exact thing that hurricane Charlie did in 2004.  It followed almost the same exact track with one exception.  Charlie could almost fit into the eye of Ian and it was much faster at 12 to 15 MPH.  Ian was slowly trucking along at 8 MPH.  Sanibel Island, Ft. Myers, Naples, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, etc. got slammed and have presently good chunks under water.  My daughter's house, roughly 100 miles north of FT. Myers, never lost power.  We got a lot of wind and rain but no damages.  Last we heard there were close to 2 million users without power, and rivers have yet to crest over.  We must have had angels flying over us.  My neighbor in Palm Harbor, 27 miles north of Largo, just told me our lawns didn't even get wet.  I guess it wasn't our time to bite the bullet, and I am eternally grateful for that.

Now we'll see what happens with the second landfall of Ian in South Carolina.

11 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

My daughter convinced me to ride the storm at their house in Largo since they have engine generator and a portable  A/C, so I stayed.  Incredibly, Ian did the same exact thing that hurricane Charlie did in 2004.  It followed almost the same exact track with one exception.  Charlie could almost fit into the eye of Ian and it was much faster at 12 to 15 MPH.  Ian was slowly trucking along at 8 MPH.  Sanibel Island, Ft. Myers, Naples, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, etc. got slammed and have presently good chunks under water.  My daughter's house, roughly 100 miles north of FT. Myers, never lost power.  We got a lot of wind and rain but no damages.  Last we heard there were close to 2 million users without power, and rivers have yet to crest over.  We must have had angels flying over us.  My neighbor in Palm Harbor, 27 miles north of Largo, just told me our lawns didn't even get wet.  I guess it wasn't our time to bite the bullet, and I am eternally grateful for that.

Now we'll see what happens with the second landfall of Ian in South Carolina.

Yeah. My sister in law is in Charleston.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It's been downgraded to a Tropical Storm, still dangerous but maybe the worst is over for Floridians. Now the devastating cleanup begins!

Prayers up!! 

It may strengthen when the northwest quadrant is in the warm water. Hopefully not.

Looks like part of the causeway to Sanibel Island has collapsed.  I saw a worse looking picture on the Weather Channel, but can't find it again and I'm not sure if it was the same location.

I'm pretty sure this was the only access road to the island.  Hope everyone got off before the storm hit.

569564886_SanibelIslandCauseway.thumb.jpg.9e40da5c22f1b60e12ee3dc613d91440.jpg

If this works, it's a video from a helicopter of the area taken by the Sheriff's office.  Large sections of the causeway are wiped out, as in just gone!

Don't know how to post a Twitter link, so here is the direct link.

SheriffLeeFL Averial View

Prayers up for all the first responders!

Pine Island bridge took damage, reported less than passable. I don't know if that means cracked, sagged or big chunks gone.
Local residents rode it out in their clubhouse (read blockhouse) and no other news from them (not unexpected, commo is down)

My aunt and uncle often winter over on Pine Island, they're here in Ohio but anxious to hear how friends and neighbors fared!

Brett Adair has a YouTube channel called Live Storms Media.  He was one of the storm chasers for Ryan Hall Y'all's live stream YouTube broadcast yesterday.  If you want to see some drone footage of the damage, check it out.  Below is a link to his channel.  Prayers Continue!  Those folks are in a world of hurt, and will be for a long time.

Live Storms Media

The destruction is unimaginable!  Prayers Continue!  Those folks are in a world of hurt, and will be for a long time.

I just now got internet/land line phone/cable back. I could read the SASS website, and others, but could not post anything.  Power only went out briefly. Property/house came through without damage but glad I had boarded up. The expected storm surge here went the opposite way, the water was pushed out of the bay/intercoastal and eerily looked like the video of before the Christmas tsunamis of 2004 except there was never a wave that came back in to kill the idiots that went out to walk where the water normally was. 

The folks 100 miles south of me sustained substantial damage or complete destruction. It's just luck that it didn't strike here. Got a short text from Preacherman, he's okay. I don't know about Waimea or any of the other shooters from the Fort Myers area.

The posts in the Saloon have provided me with my first views of the destruction and it's heartbreaking to see. 

For once, the current admistration did not play politics and has announced a Federal disaster declaration for 9 of the hurricane damaged counties. This will enable Federal funds for many different forms of assistance. I certainly hope that this assistance is not delayed by politics or red tape.

59 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I just now got internet/land line phone/cable back. I could read the SASS website, and others, but could not post anything.  Power only went out briefly. Property/house came through without damage but glad I had boarded up. The expected storm surge here went the opposite way, the water was pushed out of the bay/intercoastal and eerily looked like the video of before the Christmas tsunamis of 2004 except there was never a wave that came back in to kill the idiots that went out to walk where the water normally was. 

The folks 100 miles south of me sustained substantial damage or complete destruction. It's just luck that it didn't strike here. Got a short text from Preacherman, he's okay. I don't know about Waimea or any of the other shooters from the Fort Myers area.

The posts in the Saloon have provided me with my first views of the destruction and it's heartbreaking to see. 

Glad you came through relatively unscathed!  Thanks for the news about Preacherman!  Hopefully, we will hear from Wiamea when he gets cell service back.

Keep us updated!

3 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Looks like part of the causeway to Sanibel Island has collapsed.  I saw a worse looking picture on the Weather Channel, but can't find it again and I'm not sure if it was the same location.

I'm pretty sure this was the only access road to the island.  Hope everyone got off before the storm hit.

569564886_SanibelIslandCauseway.thumb.jpg.9e40da5c22f1b60e12ee3dc613d91440.jpg

Barrier islands are the worst place to be in hurricane season!

1 hour ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Glad you came through relatively unscathed!  Thanks for the news about Preacherman!  Hopefully, we will hear from Wiamea when he gets cell service back.

Keep us updated!

Just heard from Waimea. He was out of town so he's okay. House sustained some damage but that can be repaired.

Any word on Gunner Down or Six Packin Jan?

Heading up the east coast as a Cat 1, batten down the hatches So. Carolina, N. Carolina, Georgia etc.:o

This storm isn't leaving anyone alone.  While no where near the storm being seen in Florida and down south, it is bringing us (in Maryland) 4 days of rain and the associated flash flooding starting this afternoon.  It is a monster!

They used to be out here but moved out to Florida about 2 years ago. Great pards and shooters. He’s a very good senior gunfighter, kicked my butt every match except for one Western Divisional that he got called away from for a family emergency, the only time I beat him. Not sure of the location but I thought it was somewhere near Ft. Meyers that they moved.

I'm in south Georgia and had been told it would be bad here, matter of fact my mom was in the Savannah hospital as thr Dr in Vidalia couldn't get the Stent to work so she was sent there to clear out the calcium, and first said they would keep her overnight but as Wednesday progressed sent her home instead I assume worry over the storm.

We didn't get any rain out of it  , just a lot of wind.  

Savannah did get a lot of rain and wind but not near what was thought as the storm drifted out to sea, before hitting south Carolina. 

Well I just woke up after 54 hours working straight through it all. I was in charge of 13 shelters. My house faired very well. Minimal nuisance damage that I repaired when I got home this morning and were running on my generator for power. It looks like it's gonna be at least a week with it. The rest of manatee county.... well it didn't do as well. I was on the east side of the county and I guess our islands took it pretty bad. If it's worse then the east side then they're really tire up. We were right on the north side of the eye so we spent about 9 straight hours with 80+mph sustained winds. I've been TDY booted back to patrol for the interim so I'll get to see more tomorrow. 

JEL

8 hours ago, John E. Law said:

Well I just woke up after 54 hours working straight through it all. I was in charge of 13 shelters. My house faired very well. Minimal nuisance damage that I repaired when I got home this morning and were running on my generator for power. It looks like it's gonna be at least a week with it. The rest of manatee county.... well it didn't do as well. I was on the east side of the county and I guess our islands took it pretty bad. If it's worse then the east side then they're really tire up. We were right on the north side of the eye so we spent about 9 straight hours with 80+mph sustained winds. I've been TDY booted back to patrol for the interim so I'll get to see more tomorrow. 

JEL

Thank yor for your service to the community.  Glad you and yours came through OK.  Going to be a long cleanup and recovery.  Prayers go out to everyone.

Hurricane Andrew devastated Homestead, Florida in 1992.  Thirty years later I can still show you evidence of that monster.  Now, after Ian, I fear Lee and Charlotte counties will have many sites that might never recover.  Although not a native of it, I have lived in Florida for 43 years and consider it my real home.  My place of birth, Puerto Rico, thanks to hurricanes, will never be the Caribbean paradise it once was.  

I hate hurricanes.

I get very emotional thinking about it.

10 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Hurricane Andrew devastated Homestead, Florida in 1992.  Thirty years later I can still show you evidence of that monster.  Now, after Ian, I fear Lee and Charlotte counties will have many sites that might never recover.  Although not a native of it, I have lived in Florida for 43 years and consider it my real home.  My place of birth, Puerto Rico, thanks to hurricanes, will never be the Caribbean paradise it once was.  

I hate hurricanes.

I get very emotional thinking about it.

My in-laws lived in Homestead during Andrew. I went down from the Treasure Coast the day after the storm with a chainsaw and tools. Driving down I95 through areas that I knew well, I saw sights that made me weep. I couldn’t recognize any of the terrain. There were no leaves on the trees that were still standing. Stayed there 3 days.

My sister in law’s new house, directly in the path of the storm and 8 miles inland was leveled. She and her children stayed with us for several weeks. My father in laws house had a large hole in the roof and roofs from neighbors houses in his back yard. The house across the street had 3 2x4s sticking out of the front wall like arrows. The wind drove them right through the concrete blocks. For some reason they had the only working phone in the neighborhood. People were lined up on the lawn to use it. 

YOu can’t really understand it by seeing video. You have to stand in it. See it, feel it hear it smell it.

Looting in the Richmond Heights area just to the north was rampant. There was constant gunfire all night long. t gave me flashbacks. 

its interesting that a lot of us are old enough to remember numerous hurricanes over the decades - the weather folks still wanbt to blame 'climate change' as if its something anyone could adjust for , going to happen as it always has no matter what we do , but ..............

i do realize that this one is affecting folks today , and thats what matters - i hope everyone we all know is safe and sound , its good to hear the reports of those that have survived this tragedy i hope more report in as their situation allows , my wife and her mother traveled down to new orleans to help after their catastrophe and i know folks gearing up to come for this one , 

I heard from someone on another forum that power is starting to return in some places, he was in Hillsborough county, pretty far north from the point of landfall, but the it just shows how far ranging the impacts were.

You KNOW it was serious when Google puts Flood Notifications in its navigation maps!

1073826453_20221003WestFloridaFloods.thumb.JPG.9d9813635cf627e85c08506c5268c077.JPG

414441055_20221003EastFloridaFloods.thumb.JPG.6c9355a88b6020facc9ee037c3d2d86f.JPG

Prayers Continue for all those affected by this storm!

Archived