SASS Wire Forum

Hurricane

Dawg Hair, SASS #29557

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be safe @Dawg Hair, SASS #29557  While I believe it's still too early to tell, the latest European models show it making landfall between Tampa and Cedar Key and then moving northward (inland) through Georgia and then the Carolinas.

Good luck Dawg, you're doing the smart thing...drive safe and enjoy the scenery/weather.

I'm right in the middle of the cone of doom but I'm not going anywhere. I'll make a "to board up or not to board up" decision tomorrow after the Ruskin match. If I board up, that'll be Monday morning (boards are already cut from Irma) and I'll get gas for the generator after that. Yard pick up (garbage cans, grill, table/chairs on Tuesday.

After Irma (2017) we were without power for 5 days. Better than some folks, worse than others. Duke Energy purposely cut power to most of Pinellas County and then dragged their feet re-energizing it. The thing about it was, Irma did minimal damage to Pinellas County, got a little windy...that was it. I'm sure they'll do it again but my generator (hopefully) will power lights, fans, freezer/refrigerator and a window shaker ac that we bought just for power outages. We lost about $1,000 in food last time and trying to sleep in 90° heat with 90% humidity was not fun.  

NASA to make a decision today whether to roll back Artemis I to the VAB or not. NO launch on Tuesday!  Problem is, if they wait too long, they will have to try to ride out the storm on the pad. OTOH, if they roll back, they might not be able to launch on October 2nd.  If they don't get it off by then, it may be late November due to "traffic" at the Cape.  IMHO, even though they say they can handle up to 74 mph wind, I'd be concerned about flying debris damaging the bird.  Maybe what they ought to do is roll it back and leave it there, and just wait until SpaceX is ready to launch the Booster 7/Spaceship 24, and the next few from Texas.  BTW, there is a Delta IV Heavy launch at Vandenberg SFB and a SpaceX Starlink/Falcon 9 launch from the Cape this afternoon. 

Eastern Canada is just getting Fiona and you folks have Ian?

WOW!

I hope everyone is safe down there.

50 years in Florida. Been through more than I can count. These late season storms seem to be attracted to the Tampa area. When in doubt bug out.

Well, the boards are up. Boy, I'm out of shape.

I'll go get (gulp) non-ethanol gas tomorrow morning before dawn...50 gallons. Last time was 4 days without power, not this time.

Have a few other preps for tomorrow...then comes the waiting.

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Well, the boards are up. Boy, I'm out of shape.

I'll go get (gulp) non-ethanol gas tomorrow morning before dawn...50 gallons. Last time was 4 days without power, not this time.

Have a few other preps for tomorrow...then comes the waiting.

Hang in there Pard!  Pinellas Park sure seems to attract them.  I figure we are on the 3rd floor so I'm not worried about the storm surge, so as long as the roof stays on and the windows don't blow out, we'll be OK. :o   We will be watching from the safety of 700' above sea level here in Maryland.  Hope they are wrong and it fades away or Wednesday/Thursday down there will be unpleasant to say the least.

You know the drill, you've been through this before, but don't take any chances!

Be safe, and the same goes for all you in the path of this storm.

1940058634_Ian20220926image.jpg.e45be4f381d537afd09b0c51d4921fde.jpg

Note: The last time I posted the link to the National Hurricane Center, the map updated as the reports changed.  So, this time, I have posted the active link below and a copy of the current image above.  If that works again this time, it will be interesting to see how they compare after the storm goes through...

163741_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

1 minute ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Hang in there Pard!  Pinellas Park sure seems to attract them.  I figure we are on the 3rd floor so I'm not worried about the storm surge, so as long as the roof stays on and the windows don't blow out, we'll be OK. :o   We will be watching from the safety of 700' above sea level here in Maryland.  Hope they are wrong and it fades away or Wednesday/Thursday down there will be unpleasant to say the least.

You know the drill, you've been through this before, but don't take any chances!

Be safe, and the same goes for all you in the path of this storm.

1940058634_Ian20220926image.jpg.e45be4f381d537afd09b0c51d4921fde.jpg

Note: The last time I posted the link to the National Hurricane Center, the map updated as the reports changed.  So, this time, I have posted the active link below and a copy of the current image above.  If that works again this time, it will be interesting to see how they compare after the storm goes through...

163741_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Thanks Dogmeat. Yeah, we know the drill, Do your best, hope for the best.

Don't ya'll have a place in Dunedin? If you'd like, after the hurricane is done, I'll drive over and inspect it. Only about 10 miles away or so.

Largo is a nice area.  Been through it a bunch, pretty much every time we are in town.

Yep, our place is in Mediterranean Manors, right next to the causeway to Honeymoon Island.  We have one of the neighbors keep an eye on it for us when we are not in town, so we should be OK.

Barring any "unplanned" visits, we will be down for a week the first week January (we shifted it from the week around the original date for the Darkness Falls/Dark Day matches) and then again for the week between the new "Darkness" date and the Ides.

I am keeping my fingers crossed this blows over 'cause if would really suck to have to come down to deal with anything over the next 3 weeks.  I have a ton of stuff to do before Land Run and I Do Not Want To Miss That!

Thanks again, and see you at the Ides and/or Darkness matches!

4 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Largo is a nice area.  Been through it a bunch, pretty much every time we are in town.

Yep, our place is in Mediterranean Manors, right next to the causeway to Honeymoon Island.  We have one of the neighbors keep an eye on it for us when we are not in town, so we should be OK.

Barring any "unplanned" visits, we will be down for a week the first week January (we shifted it from the week around the original date for the Darkness Falls/Dark Day matches) and then again for the week between the new "Darkness" date and the Ides.

I am keeping my fingers crossed this blows over 'cause if would really suck to have to come down to deal with anything over the next 3 weeks.  I have a ton of stuff to do before Land Run and I Do Not Want To Miss That!

Thanks again, and see you at the Ides and/or Darkness matches!

That is kind of weird. Back in 1982, I helped installed the electrical wiring/pipe in Med. Manors. At that time, the bldg I worked on was the N.E. building. Never went back since. I hope your unit is not on the first living floor. If you need help with it, let me know.

Sorry to say, I won't be at the Ides or Dark Day matches. 

15 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

That is kind of weird. Back in 1982, I helped installed the electrical wiring/pipe in Med. Manors. At that time, the bldg I worked on was the N.E. building. Never went back since. I hope your unit is not on the first living floor. If you need help with it, let me know.

We are on the 3rd floor so I'm covered for about a 45' storm surge, of course, the building may not survive that....

Our building was built in about '77 as I recall.  My wife's great Aunt & Uncle bought it new, they passed and left it to her Grandmother who left it to her parents.  We bought it from her Father in 2003 a few years after his wife passed, but he continued to live there for another 10 years.  Hard to believe we will have owned it for close to 20 years.  Time sure flies...

Sorry to hear you won't be at the matches.  Always good to see you and talk.

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Just got notified they issued a mandatory evac for our complex.  I hope 948 miles is far enough! :rolleyes:

Hope everyone in Florida, and elsewhere in the path of Ian, makes it through safely!

Looks like it's turning a bit south of it's original track.  Seems like Venice Beach is the point of landfall, but I would not be surprised to see it continue to track south a bit more, then proceed diagonally across the state.  Going to drop a lot of rain!

100939WPCQPF_sm.gif

The tracks are just computer generated models. Tracking has gotten better but large lows over hot water are unpredictable. That's why they call them Herricanes. If it does go in south of here, that would be great for me and you...but I know folks and family down that way. No matter where it goes, it's gonna suck for a whole lot of us in Florida.

I'm sure that by now, all of the essentials are gone. I waited too long on getting the non-ethanol gas, had to buy the crap gas. Went out at 4:30 this morning, people were being jerks then. Seems that things like this bring out the worst in some and the best in others. 

I was thinking the same thing, no matter where it comes ashore, there will be a lot of folks in a lot of difficulty.

As to the best of and the worst of...sadly, I see a lot more of the worst of these days.

Hunker down, it will be gone by the weekend.  Hope you come through it relatively unscathed.

Prayers up for all my friends, family, and pards down in Florida that Ian turns out to be a dud. I was born in Oldsmar in '69 and lived in the Tampa Bay area for almost 30 years...never had a hurricane hit! :blink: 

stay safe and well , whatever it takes , i suppose this will affect my southern illinois weather for my upcoming trip , i know - it will just be rain and such out that far but ive seen it in nashville at a shoot or two years back , major PITA 

Ian is now a Cat 4, close to a Cat 5, and looking to make landfall around Fort Myers.  It will bring heavy, heavy, rain and an 8' to 12' foot storm surge.

Prayers Up for all in the path of this storm!

I'll have my ham radio on the Hurricane Watch Net frequencies.

Ham radio Hurricane Watch Net

These can be picked up with a shortwave receiver, preferably one with upper/lower sideband capabilities.

This traffic is to/from the affected areas, real-time boots on the ground reports -- wind speed, precip conditions, help needed and where.

Just for funzies, here's a site where you can listen to the HWN over your confuser:

Streaming audio for the Hurricane Watch Net

It now has 155mph winds. Jeez, the eye on this thing must be 20 miles across. It is going to really tear up a lot stuff. Winds like that will bring a 15' - 18' storm surge of Gulf water on the coastal locations. After landfall, it'll tear up things, along a line, from Fort Myers to Daytona...including the Orlando area.

My gal is REAL edgy, she wishes she'd have gone to her sister's house, too late now.

I hope everyone along the central Gulf coast has prepared, it's going to be rough. There are some SASS shooters that live in the direct path of it, Preacherman and Waimea among them. Good luck and take cover folks.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

It now has 155mph winds. Jeez, the eye on this thing must be 20 miles across. It is going to really tear up a lot stuff. Winds like that will bring a 15' - 18' storm surge of Gulf water on the coastal locations. After landfall, it'll tear up things, along a line, from Fort Myers to Daytona...including the Orlando area.

My gal is REAL edgy, she wishes she'd have gone to her sister's house, too late now.

I hope everyone along the central Gulf coast has prepared, it's going to be rough. There are some SASS shooters that live in the direct path of it, Preacherman and Waimea among them. Good luck and take cover folks.

Prayers Up for all in the path of this beast.  No doubt, it is going to be a long recovery from this event.

At least Waimea has plenty of ballast!  :rolleyes:

Prayers up for those on the Florida west coast in the path of this monster.  We've been getting drenched by the outer rain bands since last night.  The eye is expected to pass over us on the east coast Thursday.  Lots of calls for flooding and tornados here.

Thanks for the ham links, Lin.  I'll get Uno to bring his up and start listening.

Ian is about 2mph from a Category 5. That is essentially meaningless except for statisticians.

Take a short breath and blow it out like you’re blowing out a candle. 

That’s 2 mph

There is a good YouTube weather channel that is doing a live broadcast for thouse interested.  According to his data sources, winds on the western eyewall are gusting at 190-210mph.  There will be next to nothing left.  Land fall within moments...

Ryan Hall, Y'all

20 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

There is a good YouTube weather channel that is doing a live broadcast for thouse interested.  According to his data sources, winds on the western eyewall are gusting at 190-210mph.  There will be next to nothing left.  Land fall within moments...

Ryan Hall, Y'all

Boy, I really wish I hadn't watched that. Thank you for the link but it's kind of horrifying. These people are going to need REAL, IMMEDIATE help.

21 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Boy, I really wish I hadn't watched that. Thank you for the link but it's kind of horrifying. These people are going to need REAL, IMMEDIATE help.

No doubt about that, they are going to be in a bad way for quite a while.  I watch this guy's channel for almost all of my weather info.  Mostly, it's just a daily post, but when there is a major weather event, he goes live.  Around here, it's not Hurricanes, it's snow storms.

I am watching NBC news coverage and seeing a lot of flooded cars. 

We're any of you able to park yours high enough to keep them out of the water?

Some areas like Naples along the Gulf coast will flood in a heavy dew. This will be bad. Not as bad as New Orleans, because the water drains off better, but bad.

Archived