SASS Wire Forum

Question on transporting live ammunition on via commercial air

Fort Reno Kid

Howdy Pards

Have a question I’m hoping some of you might have an answer.

In a few weeks will be flying to a family reunion.  There’ll be some friendly shooting competition and I’d like to take some ammo, a 100-pack of 44 Mag.

I’m well aware ammo is not permitted in carry on bags.

Question: Is it legal/permissible to put loaded ammo in a checked bag? The checked bag would, of course, be stored in the baggage compartment of the airliner.

If so, do I need to declare it at the time I the bag is delivered to the airline check-in counter? It’s been a while but I do recall someone placing a firearm in a bag as it was being checked in. He showed it to the clerk, verified it was unloaded, locked the bag, and the airline employee took possession. I think they put a sticker on the bag indicating that a firearm was stored inside. Again, that was quite some time back and the rules may have changed.

Many thanks and Adios 

Keep on the sunny side 

Fort Reno Kid

11 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I would check with the specific airline...if I flew.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Also know the laws of any states you are changing planes in. You never know where you may get stranded. Lots of horror stories of individuals flying with firearms inadvertently ending up in places like NYC and NJ where the mere possession of firearms or ammunition can land you in jail even though it was no fault of your own.

from: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition
Ammunition

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case. 
  • Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.

I would ship depending on where you are flying. If you are flying from Texas to Oklahoma, it is not a problem, but if weather / equipment failure can cause the plane to divert to an airport in a gun unfriendly state, you can be in lots of trouble.

Contact the airlines and be specific on what you are transporting.  Invest in a quality  locking case with quality locks. I have and use a small Pelican case for ammo.  I have transported long guns and handguns several times on commercial carriers and never had a problem.   Along with firearm I have always separated the ammo into a separate locking case.  There was a time in law enforcement I flew often for work and wished that my 1911 could qualify for  frequent flier mileage.  Another option is to ship the ammo to where you are going.  Hope this helps....

Get to the airport early.  When flying with ammo the TSA has always opened and inspected my bag and then left a notice inside.  You need to make sure your bags get placed onto your flight in time.  The TSA once contacted me and said their explosives detector got positive readings on the contents my bag and asked for an explanation.  I told them I handloaded some ammunition the day I packed the bag and that may have been the cause.  They accepted that explanation and my bag flew.

Limit is 11 lbs.   just call your airline to be sure. Southwest air and frontier have done well by me

I agree 100% with Wallaby Damned -- save yourself the risk and trouble of shipping and just take it in appropriate checked baggage.  TSA has some rules and every airline has its own rules, too -- and they are easy to find on the carrier's website, and no big deal.  I have flown many times with firearms and ammunition (both handguns and long guns, and the ammo goes into the same case as the guns, or in a separate locked piece of luggage) with no problems whatsoever.  And unlike regular TSA-approved luggage locks, no one has the keys to your locked gun case except you -- that is part of the deal: neither TSA nor the airline can open your gun case.  Of course, you have to make sure that it is legal to possess your own guns at your destination, and international air travel with firearms requires a ton of paperwork in advance.  In America, simply put, you should not fly with firearms to any NY/NJ Port Authority facilities, anywhere in NJ, or certain other places.

Archived