SASS Wire Forum

Well That Stinks..........

Calamity Kris

I took my car in to the dealership for regular maintenance.  All they had to do was rotate the tires and detail it.  {I get two free details a year.}  I went to pick it up and, after depositing my lunch box in the back seat, sat down and noticed a huge crack right in front of me.  I hopped out and looked at the windshield and saw this.  

crack.thumb.jpg.e52a96ee0a10c9ad250ef9c2a38bfaad.jpg

Needless to say, I never took the car off the dealership property.  I drove the car around the building and right back into the service bay.  The service writer said it wasn't there when I dropped the car off the day before.  I would not have let something this bad go without replacing it.  The service writer brought out the general manager, the service department manager and the detail manager.  All were surprised it happened but no one would own it.  She gave me back the keys to the loaner car and said she would be in touch.

I called the dealership today to get a status and she said that all their windshields are on back order so I could keep the loaner car until they replace it, possibly as late as the end of next week.  

{Sigh}  I really need a vacation.........

To give you a perspective on the size of the damage, the impact area at the top of the picture is about the size of a half dollar.  I'm standing on my toes leaning across the side of the hood to take the picture.  That was as close as I could get.

You sure do have some bad luck with vehicles lately.:mellow:

Make sure that the windshield replacement is on the dealership and not through your insurance company. In Florida, if you have full coverage, windshield replacement has no deductible and therefore costs the insured nothing...but, I'm pretty sure that it counts as a claim and an excuse to raise your rates.

Try to remember: The Insurance Company Is In Business To Make Money For Their Shareholders.

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Car dealers and auto shops have a really bad habit of borrowing customers' vehicles to run errands or pick up parts. And if you have a hot rod expect them to drive it like they stole it.

In this case, I believe the detail shop slipped up somehow and dropped something, like the buffer, while they were working on the top of the windshield/roof.  If you look just above and to the right of the fracture, you will see some paint missing.  It had to be a significant strike to do that. 

In my last conversation with the dealership, the service writer told me they will pay for the replacement windshield as soon as they get one in, as she swears I didn't bring it to them with the break.  We'll see how this goes.

My wife took her car to dealership for oil change. She picked it up and came home where I got in passenger side only to find damage to front bumper and side panel. Guess what? Too bad so sad sez the dealer... Lesson... always make a walk around anytime you leave a car at any dealer or mechanic shop or tire sales place...

Archived