SASS Wire Forum

Home Depot story

Rye Miles #13621

I went to look at snowblowers at Home Depot. The tag said free delivery. I asked the guy there about the free delivery. He said it’s only free if you buy it Online!!! If I buy it in store it’s $60 delivery!! This all doesn’t make sense to me since the snowblower will come out of that store! It’s about 5 miles from my house. The sales guy agreed it made no sense! I asked why and he said they’re pushing online sales to compete with other places!
Good Lord I’m living in a world I do not understand!:angry:

Rant over……

Assuming you order it online, it is delivered and there are problems with it...broken/missing part, etc. Do you take it to the local store, or send it back to where it was shipped from?  Suppose you don't have the capability to bring it to the store.  Will they pick it up? If you have to ship it back to where it was sent from, do you pay the freight?  Have you checked elsewhere as a source?

Just now, Trailrider #896 said:

Assuming you order it online, it is delivered and there are problems with it...broken/missing part, etc. Do you take it to the local store, or send it back to where it was shipped from?  Suppose you don't have the capability to bring it to the store.  Will they pick it up? If you have to ship it back to where it was sent from, do you pay the freight?  Have you checked elsewhere as a source?

Don’t know about all that!! It would be coming from the store that’s close to me so I guess I’d have to take it back. Good question! I’ll have to ask! It’s so confusing!! 

Another added diddy, if they deliver it’s in the box so there’s some assembly on my part. However, if I pick it up they’ll put it together for me FREE! It will fit in my SUV so I may just do that. This is so ridiculous! 

I think I would opt to assemble it myself. There'll likely be less extra parts. Who knows what idiot at the store will do it. I bought an assembled wood splitter from HD years ago and they didn't bother installing the grease seals and way over tightened the spindle nuts. No cotter pins either! If ya want it done right, do it yourself. ;)

17 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I think I would opt to assemble it myself. There'll likely be less extra parts. Who knows what idiot at the store will do it. I bought an assembled wood splitter from HD years ago and they didn't bother installing the grease seals and way over tightened the spindle nuts. No cotter pins either! If ya want it done right, do it yourself. ;)

There’s not much to assemble just the chute and the handles etc. I can’t imagine they would mess that up but I get what you’re saying.

I can inspect it in the store before I take it.

A side story:

Even sizeable purchases often come packaged.  Last spring I bought a large, two-part (stacking) tool chest from HD.  It came in two HUGE boxes... it took two workers to load it into my truck, but somehow I managed to get it out and assembled all by my lonesome.  I actually used an engine hoist!

But, there was gigantic pile of cardboard, wood, plastic wrapping, and strapping material left to dispose of.

I stuffed it all back into my truck and drove to HD.  Asked if it would be okay if I drove 'round to the back of the store and off-loaded it into their dumpster?  Their reply:

"OH, no.  Just load it onto one of our carts or two and wheel it in and we'll do it for you!"

That was cool.  ^_^

image.png.50eb51dae204db56f9f1c79f59bcb7ca.png image.png.6b2523479182abf76357391c8878e375.png

Couple of years ago I went to Lowe's. I was looking for a chest freezer. A 8 and 1/2 foot chest freezer. They did not have one in stock. They had four and a half foot, but not 8 and 1/2. Hmmm. And the four and a half was $25 cheaper than half of the 8 and 1/2.

So I think to myself, self, four and a half is not as big as you wanted, but it beats the hell out of the top part of your refrigerator which is what you have now.

So I decide to buy one of the four and a half. I ask about free delivery. They do have free delivery, but to get it you have to spend x amount of money, and the four and a half foot freezer did not cost that much. The 8 and 1/2 foot would, but they didn't have any of them.

So I bought two of the four and a half, which gave me the equivalent of a nine - bigger than the 8 and 1/2 I was after - and the two together was $50 less than the cost of the one I went in there for, and it was enough money to get free delivery.

Truth is stranger than reality.

It seems all these stores are trying to get rid of their front line employees. They want us to run our own check out counters. 
Stores like Home Depot pretty much fired all their skilled employees years ago. It’s rare to encounter anyone that knows plumbing, electrical, hardware, tools, yet they all run around wearing vests that say “I’m qualified  in all departments”. Yeah, right. 
You go to Walmart and there’s one checkout counter staffed and they herd everyone to “Self Checkout”. 
I don’t doubt there are corporate / government idiots that see a day where drones deliver stuff to your house and going to the store is unheard of or even worse, illegal because you burn unnecessary fuel or energy. 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Truth is stranger than reality.

If I may, I would like to slightly plagiarise your line and change it to ......

"The Truth is Mostly a Stranger to Reality !"   

You can thank me later

:blush:

Lots of stores are that way now that they are competing with Amazon on-line.  Costco you have to haul it yourself.  Order on-line and they deliver and will even help move it to where you want it.  Same with Walmart and a bunch of other traditional brick and motar stores.  When you order on-line it does not necessarily mean it is coming from your local store.  Many big box stores are like Amazon and have huge processing facilities.  Rye quit yer griping and welcome to the 21st Century.:lol:

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Lots of stores are that way now that they are competing with Amazon on-line.  Costco you have to haul it yourself.  Order on-line and they deliver and will even help move it to where you want it.  Same with Walmart and a bunch of other traditional brick and motar stores.  When you order on-line it does not necessarily mean it is coming from your local store.  Many big box stores are like Amazon and have huge processing facilities.  Rye quit yer griping and welcome to the 21st Century.:lol:

I’m trying but it’s really hard!:P

56 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It seems all these stores are trying to get rid of their front line employees. They want us to run our own check out counters. 
Stores like Home Depot pretty much fired all their skilled employees years ago. It’s rare to encounter anyone that knows plumbing, electrical, hardware, tools, yet they all run around wearing vests that say “I’m qualified  in all departments”. Yeah, right. 
You go to Walmart and there’s one checkout counter staffed and they herd everyone to “Self Checkout”. 
I don’t doubt there are corporate / government idiots that see a day where drones deliver stuff to your house and going to the store is unheard of or even worse, illegal because you burn unnecessary fuel or energy. 

"I'm qualified in all departments." That's pretty funny right there.

The last time I was at HD, I was looking for ac filters. They had moved them from the ac department to the plumbing department, why...I don't know. Anyway, I ask the guy in the ac department "Can you tell me where the ac filters are?" He replies "Aren't they in aisle **?" I said "If I knew WHERE they were, I wouldn't be asking you."

I was at Sam's Club a few months back. There were solicitors running around the parking lot trying to sell you a new windshield under the guise of "Sam's Club cares about your safety." I don't like being solicited at all, let alone at a place that I have to pay to shop at. As I was leaving and the receipt checker was checking my receipt, a guy with glasses on wearing a white shirt w/tie walked by with two employees in tow. As I wanted to address the solicitor thing with the manager, I asked the receipt checker "Is that guy the manager?" She said "What guy?" I pointed at him and said "That guy, the one with the glasses." She says "Oh, our manager doesn't wear glasses." You can't make this stuff up.

I understand HD is competing with Amazon, WalMart etc BUT they’re actually turning away customers who like to go in and buy from the store. Why should delivery be free ONLY on line? That’s kind of punishing their brick snd mortar customers. It makes no sense to me. It’s a bad policy, make delivery free no matter how you buy!

I would guess that the retail stores have "X" number of employees on duty and if "Y" number of employees are doing deliveries the store is short handed.  The people in the delivery service is all they do.

5 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I would guess that the retail stores have "X" number of employees on duty and if "Y" number of employees are doing deliveries the store is short handed.  The people in the delivery service is all they do.

I think they farm out deliveries to independent people. I don’t think they use their employees to deliver. They use contractors for delivery and setup of washing machines, dryers, stoves etc,

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think they farm out deliveries to independent people. I don’t think they use their employees to deliver. They use contractors for delivery and setup of washing machines, dryers, stoves etc,

They deliver all kinds of stuff including stuff that is not in the stores.  I ordered a tool box and they brought it to the house.  Saved me a trip driving over there to the store.

There is a reason that Amazon is kicking store’s butts. 
People are getting fed up with a serious lack of customer service. I know I am. 
When you ask a question of a store employee and you get nothing but deflection, stupidity or sometimes no response it tends to sour you on that store. 
Many people would prefer not to deal with it and just check Amazon’s customer reviews to find out about products. AND OH, Lookie there! Amazon’s price is lower and it will arrive tomorrow for FREE!
Click, click, click, done!

Now I can go shooting or fishing or wherever…

I have been going to Menards because the nearest HD is 35-50 miles away, depending on direction , and the Lowes here has really high prices but really low IQs. 
I needed some things at Menards and one of the things they had in the store, per their website, was 96 cent 32 ounce bottles of peroxide. I needed some for white mold mitigation. 
I went into the store.

I asked where the peroxide was at Customer Service. I was told “health & beauty”. 
I went there. 
No peroxide. 
Went back to customer service. 
Different girl there now. 
I just knew it was going to be a stupid event but talked to her about it. 
SURPRISE!

She figured out the website was wrong. Apologized profusely and asked if I needed to speak to a manager about this inconvenience and what they could go about it. 
I was actually shocked. I expected complete dumbassery!

Instead I got…Customer Service. I didn’t get any peroxide, but I got service. 

It’s a damn shame we have come to expect poor service. It is now the norm. 

Another thing we get is Auto Correct that appears to be designed to make us look stupid…

I'm going to go along with their nonsense and order online and have it shipped free. I already saw it in person so that's a plus. I'm getting it delivered nexy week. I could get it delivered tomorrow but I'm going to a shoot in the morning.:lol:

BTW my son has the same one from HD and it was delivered by UPS!! Go figure!

When computers started to take over I swore I'd never shop online.

BUT

After all these years of retail stores doing away with customer service and never carrying most things in the sizes, brands, and anything else that suited me, getting rid of friendly, competent, and helpful employees, and making shopping a near combat experience by over crowding isles with and blocking aisles with huge displays of products I am now doing a lot of online shopping.

I still need to shop in a real store for most food, a lot of clothing (and that's another story altogether), gas and oil, and almost all shooting products, I spend a lot of money on line, usually at Amazon, or places similar to them.

No one pays me to cater to their stores any, and they make shopping such an unpleasant experience that it has to be hurting their bottom line, not because oy MY money going somewhere else, but because of the growing number of people who feel like I do.  They are cutting their own throats and don't seem to realize it not care.  If you don't believe it go into most giant mega-stores and ask to speak to manager about any concern you have.  Prepare to be ignored, given a packaged response ("it's corporate policy", "the warehouse didn't send it", "that's not my area...it's the vendors space", and many other insipid, useless phrases, and treated as if you are wasting their time.

There are still a lot of stores that I still go to because they do have what I want and have helpful, friendly, and knowledgable employees, and open easy to navigate stores.  MY hat's off to Ace Hardware, True Value Hardware, Harbor Freight, Hobby Lobby, and almost every GUN shop in the area, but not a single big box sporting goods store, grocery, book store, clothing store, car parts store restaurant / cafe, so-called discount store, and so very many others.

I can usually find something on places like Amazon and get it delivered to my door in less time than it takes me drive all over the county looking for what I want, and when I factor in my gas, time and aggravation it generally costs less, too. 

And don't give me some BS about how it's the consumers' fault for the collapse of retail business in this countryl 

Guy I work with is building his retirement home. Bough close to 4 tons of floor tile from Home Depot to be delivered. The truck that delivered it dropped one pallet and scattered it all over the driveway. The other pallets also have been dropped at some point as you can see the cracks in the tiles through the openings in the box.  He has been fighting with Home Depot for two weeks now to get this resolved. They wanted him to bring the damaged tile back to the store. I believe they are finally sending someone out to load all the tiles on a truck. I have no idea when he will get a new delivery of undamaged tiles.

20 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

There is still a place in the economy for authorized dealers; I only buy power yard equipment from a local Toro dealer.  If he can, he'll repair it in my garage; otherwise, he'll pick it up and deliver it when he's done.  Sometimes it pays to skip the big box boys.

LL  

Walking into Lowes this week,  the areas were covered as well as aisles with Christmas and Halloween items. What really surprised me was they are now selling shirts and pants. What's next, food items? Oh wait, their areas around check-outs already filled with candies, potato chips, even cookies.

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

There is still a place in the economy for authorized dealers; I only buy power yard equipment from a local Toro dealer.  If he can, he'll repair it in my garage; otherwise, he'll pick it up and deliver it when he's done.  Sometimes it pays to skip the big box boys.

LL  

if you look closely ou'll likely see that the machine you bought from the dealer has a different part # and is of much better construction than the one sold a BBS. 

Yep.  I spent several years representing a major tool manufacturer.   Learned early on that big box stores had the leverage to force manufacturers to build products to their (cheaper) specs.  Same color, same general appearance; close enough to mislead the rubes.  Another reason to avoid the Big Boxes.

LL

My wife decided quite a while ago that we were going to boycott Amazon. Consequently, I’ve been shopping at Walmart.com for about a year and a half and I’ve discovered that it’s usually cheaper and easier than Amazon...

8 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 Was that toolchest bought online or in store at Home Depot?  The Home Depot here has them assembled and helps load in store purchases.  Online purchases get the boxed toolchest with unknown damage to the sheet metal.

Interesting that you should ask!

I first saw it online, then checked three separate HD stores in the area; I'd seen one in the past, assembled and ready to go, but it had sold by the time I decided to buy it.

Finally, at the store nearest home I asked, and they found exactly ONE in stock in the area - and it happened to be in that very store.  Still boxed.  In a corner in the back of the building, not readily accessible.  But I paid for it, they dug it out and loaded it up for me.

And of course, sure 'nuff, when I got it off-loaded and unpackaged, I found the lower right back panel ka-banged in.  Well, poop.

At that point I was not about to re-back it, re-load it, and re-turn it. 

A little judicious application of a short piece of 2x4 and a hammer and it's just fine.  Not visible, does not affect its usefulness, and I haven't lost a minute of sleep over it.  I may or may not sweat some solder into the seam or maybe tack weld it someday, if I happen to be feeling particularly energetic and already have the stuff out for another project.

I know folks who would've been irate and returned it for the tiniest imperfection.  Big Fuzzy Ducks... not worth the aggravation.   ^_^

(This is how I found it.  No current picture, but it's flat now.)

image.thumb.jpeg.1876fde6042e5f7d9db5d0d44479e6fc.jpeg

Archived