SASS Wire Forum

Jerome Arizona

Subdeacon Joe

Jerome, Arizona Street Scene 1895. In 1899 the San Francisco Examiner called Jerome the “wickedest town in America”, with “one beggarly looking church and at least sixteen saloons and more going up.” 

More Jerome photos and info at https://westernmininghistory.com/towns/arizona/jerome/

FB_IMG_1663860512284.jpg.9541ce39acbf844b90a992aa3a761651.jpg

I remember a close family friend who was Mayor there and also a "B" Western singing cowboy,  Stanley Leland Weed, or better known by his stage name, Bob Baker. He passed away in 75 a week after we visited him.  

Thanks for posting, I had almost forgotten after all these decades.

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

It’s sort of a bohemian community now, with touristy shops and eateries. It’s a wild, twisty ride on Route 89A through town and up through the Mingus Mountains on the way to Prescott. 

It’s even wilder on the way back through from Prescott. ;)

Supposedly some of the concrete used in the building of the town was made using human ashes. The story is there were so many deaths during the influenza pandemic that the bodies were stacking up faster than they could be cremated so the nearby cement plant started disposing of the bodies in their furnaces used to make cement. (They mine and process cement just below Jerome. There is another newer plant just north of Paulden.) The one story said they burned 45,000 bodies. I find that hard to believe as Jerome had a population of 15,000 at it's high point. Believe it or not...

My wife and I got married in Sedona and had lunch in Jerome on our wedding day. 

2 hours ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

It had the US's largest copper mine; a mile deep and a mile wide. 

I think you're remembering the wrong mine. The pit isn't that big or that deep. I have worked at a few of the Arizona copper mines and the pit at Jerome is quite small by comparison.

https://www.mining-technology.com/marketdata/five-largest-copper-mines-the-us-2021/

You may be remembering the Bisbee pit. It is very impressive and Bisbee is much like Jerome.

On 9/22/2022 at 11:14 AM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

It’s sort of a bohemian community now, with touristy shops and eateries. It’s a wild, twisty ride on Route 89A through town and up through the Mingus Mountains on the way to Prescott. 

Been There Done That, except it was in the other direction.  Did Jerome & Sedona when we traveled to Chandler in 2012 to select the options for the Champion modular home we live in.  Also checked out the House of Fire which was well worth the time.

Archived