SASS Wire Forum

Are 1893 Winchester Shotgun Parts Interchangeable With 1897 Winchester Shotgun Parts.

Cypress Sun

I have a chance to bid on an 1893 Winchester shotgun for not much money...but it's obviously missing some parts on the carrier, fore end is missing and possible other internal parts are missing. I've looked on the internet but the only thing I can find is that the bolt is slightly longer than the 93, so I guess that makes the firing pin longer also. Other than that, I haven't found anything else to confirm, or refute, that parts are interchangeable.

Have any of ya'll ever swapped parts or know if the parts are interchangeable? If they are, it may be able to be rejuvenated or at worst, become a parts gun for a 97.

Thanks in advance. 

I have a 93 and just looking at it most if not all the parts are slightly different than the 97.  I have not done a detailed measurement of the parts but I certainly would not swap parts made for a BP gun into a 97.  If you believe Ian at about the 7 minute mark he says the parts are not interechangeable.

I posted this a few months ago, but can't find the thread now. I think the information will help answer any questions you may have. 

Also, I like most others, thought Winchester "recalled" the 1893's as being dangerous or flawed. Actually, the offer to exchange for an 1897 did not occur until 1901 when the increased use of smokeless powder may have caused issues with the '93.

OP, you might give the author a call, he was very helpful when I called him about my two '93s.

The Winchester Model 1893 Shotgun – Surplused

Archived