SASS Wire Forum

Pizza bowls for diabetics

Trigger Mike

Pizza is my youngest child's favorite.   Pizza sends my sugar above 250, even if I add naked chicken wings.  

Tonight she turned 11.  She wanted her favorite.   So I ordered Marcos pepperoni magnifico for her and a second for the rest of us.  I added a meat lovers pizza bowl which is just the toppings minus the crust.  In a plastic bowl, for two people.   

I ate it and 1 small square of her pepperoni.   We then had her requested giant chocolate chip cookie my wife made from the refrigerated dough rolls.  I had a small portion. 

My sugar made it to 178 but it took a long time to get there and went to 124 and bounced to 154 6 hours later.  I think I will get the pizza bowl from now on.   $8 a bowl but worth it.  

Be careful Mike. Diabetes is something you should treat very seriously 

There are just too many long term side effects not to take exceptional care of yourself.

On another point, I have to rant a bit about the blood sugar measuring systems in Canada vs the USA

Here in Canada, we use the British measurement system while the US measurement system is very different.

I could never understand why we in Canada used a system whose roots are an ocean away, while our next door neighbour and major trading partner, on the same continent, uses another, which in MHO, gives a far more precise indication of sugar levels.

Another case of "We gotta be differnt from them" I guess.

But DUMB!

I watch it constantly with the dexcom continuous monitor.  I'm often surprised how even a steak house runs up my sugar.  Every night before bed I eat a handful of blueberries or similar fruit and a boiled egg.  If my sugar is already high,  just the boiled egg.  I adjust what I do based on my sugar and sometimes walk around the restaurant several times to burn off sugar before leaving lest it go up on the way home.

I had the Trifecta, diabetes, heart disease and sleep apnea.  I'm old school, check my sugar with the glucometer and write down the results on a grid sheet.  After I started using the CPAP machine for my s;eep apnea I discovered my sugar readings had gone down about 20 points across the board. 

I’m writing this from a hospital bed after a 4-way bypass.  They are running my glucose waay too hot at 188 by playing games with dosage.  I know what I need but they won’t listen, so it keeps going up.

cauliflower crust makes a great pizza base that is very friendly to your glucose .

dont play games with your levels.  There are tasty alternatives that work very well.

5 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

That's very interesting.   I never would have thought that,  but it makes sense now that you say it.  If you are struggling to breath it is bound to run your sugar up.

My theory is that being able to breathe continuously during the night helps me to burn my sugar better.

Archived