SASS Wire Forum

Federal Large rifle primers?

Tell Sackett SASS 18436

I'm going to be selling primers at Land Run. The one thing I don't have is Large Rifle.  I can buy some on Gunbroker at what seemed an exorbitant price: $150 plus per 1000. With tax and shipping the price would be about $172 or $173.

To those who USE large rifle- would you pay that for Federal Large Rifle Magnums? 

I had someone tell me that $200 per 1000 was reasonable these days. 

I know they're listed for less on Midway and Natchez, but if they don't have any....what does that mean?

I'd appreciate any feedback before I buy any at that price!

Before I invested in LR primers to pass along, I would get a commitment from a few folks to make sure that's what they use. I use the bench rest primers for my Sharps. Some reloading manual recommend magnum primers for black powder. I did pay $50 for 200 Winchester Magnum LR primers last month so I can work on some hunting loads for my 7mm Rem Mag, but I searched the whole gun show first and grit my teeth as I handed him the cash. He refused to come down any lower. I returned the next day and saw that I was the only one to pay that amount as the rest of the other packs were still there. Yet, at another table a guy had a full brick of Fed LP for $60, which I snagged.

If you look on Ammo Seek there are no large rifle primers a available right now anywhere. Probably why prices are still really high fir them when found. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If you look on Ammo Seek there are no large rifle primers a available right now anywhere. Probably why prices are still really high fir them when found. 

I DID!

Only ones to be had are on Gunbroker at outrageous prices.

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Use Large Pistol primers if you have them. 

Large rifle and large pistol primers have different dimensions. If I remember correctly the large rifle primer is taller than the large pistol primer.

Small rifle and small pistol primers are the same dimensions and can be interchanged.

BS

13 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

Large rifle and large pistol primers have different dimensions. If I remember correctly the large rifle primer is taller than the large pistol primer.

Small rifle and small pistol primers are the same dimensions and can be interchanged.

BS

I am aware of that. 

My LGS has Federal large & small pistol and rifle primers all for around 87.00 a brick with no limit.

14 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

My LGS has Federal large & small pistol and rifle primers all for around 87.00 a brick with no limit.

Lucky you!!

So, did you go buy them out? I would have, and resold them to local shooters at cost!

I feel fortunate to be able to get a good supply from you Tell.  See you at Land Run.

On 9/22/2022 at 7:20 PM, Barry Sloe said:

BS

Large pistol works very well for large rifle ammo. Large rifle does not work for large pistol.

kR

I've not seen it mentioned, but before plunking down silly cash for a brick of primers, I'd check the LOT number and decider the code. Unfortunately each manufacturer uses a different code, but they usually have the YOM in the code. 

Primers age. It may depend on the storage conditions, or even the lot number, but I've run into a situation where the primer that did work in a load, stopped giving me the performance i wanted. It may have been the powder as it is not getting any younger either. They went bang reliably, but the chrono results were poor. In my case I swapped to a different primer and quit using them. Since then I've had some nice numbers from loads with the powder, so my conclusion is that the primers went south. 

Silly times, I've had to make myself spread sheets to keep track of my inventory of primers. Fortunately I had a decent supple before the insanity began and have only had to buy 2k at the silly price. Coincidently they turned out to be the poor performing ones. 

BB 

Archived