SASS Wire Forum

Anyideas on catylitic converter anti theft ??

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I hear one ins co laid out millions for converter replacements.

I stopped by a couple shops..no one seemed to have ideas on preventing theft.

Cameras are one suggestion.

Best

CR

hep me pleeze

There are companies making anti-theft shields to install under the converter, most likely in hope that the thief will move on to an easier target.  They look like a skid plate.  I've seen welded cages of rebar and steel rod as well.

First find out if your catalytic converter has platinum in it or if it’s ceramic. The thieves know which cars have the platinum converters. If you’re is ceramic, why worry?

There are custom shops that specialize in this. Your search engine can find them for you.

On vehicles that no longer have to meet emissions testing standards, in some places they can be removed. When I bought Ol’ Green, they had been removed by a previous owner because they weren’t required on the heavy pickups here.  The O2 sensors were installed in the custom exhaust. They’re needed to control the EFI and other functions on the vehicle. I later had the “computer” re-programmed to eliminate two of the sensors because they no longer are needed for the truck to operate correctly.

Check state and local ordinances before you do this. It isn’t legal in some places and situations.

Park in the garage.

Here are a couple. A local garage builds their own out of rebar and welds them to the frame.

8AB30C51-0A30-4A4E-A0C7-DAD80C2C8934.webp

8D4E5602-7AE9-42FA-8C9F-8A6ECC1C39CB.webp

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Hint, if the thief can't get under the vehicle to access the converter, he can't sawsall it out and steal it. 

They can get under there easily. Here in Seattle a homeowner was shot and killed when he came out of his house to take out the garbage and ran into thieves stealing his converter in his driveway. They had his car lifted up on a jack. They also had someone standing guard with a gun who was the one who shot him.

51 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

They can get under there easily. Here in Seattle a homeowner was shot and killed when he came out of his house to take out the garbage and ran into thieves stealing his converter in his driveway. They had his car lifted up on a jack. They also had someone standing guard with a gun who was the one who shot him.

Seattle...

Hmmm.

Defund the police, protect the criminal, allow riots...

What could go wrong?

Archived