SASS Wire Forum

Davy Crockett

PowderRiverCowboy

There are several ironies involved that have not left me even after 55 years.

Salesmen for Encyclopedia Britannica would go through the housing areas selling encyclopedias. One of the features was that with purchase you got to send questions to the research staff. I think just about every Special Weapons (that’s what they called the teams) group asked the same questions, one of which was about beryllium; it’s dust is toxic and it reflects neutrons (important in a fission reaction). Another about tritium (extra neutrons). Now suppose that one is a Soviet spy; just map the locations of those inquiries.

NATO defensive strategy was mostly centered around the idea that the Soviets would send tanks through the Fulda Gap. 

The tactical nukes were Davy Crockett, 155, 8”, and numerous rockets, Sargent missiles, lance and one or two others, leaving out nuclear demolitions. For compactness they were all “gun type” weapons, like Little Boy not Fat Man. The way a gun type weapon works is that two sub-critical uranium masses are propelled together (black powder is the propellant) they reach critical mass and BOOM!  Now it is all very fast BUT they reach critical mass before optimum effectiveness is achieved, milliseconds before.  Doesn’t matter much, you’re still dead right? The recommended action after firing a nuke was to lie under your poncho with a truck between you and the blast. I presume that’s to make it easier for the body recovery teams.

on my applications for visas to Russia, I said I knew nothing about firearms or nuclear weapons.  You won’t tell, right?

Saw those at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland when I went there (my first duty station as a 2dLt . Ordnance Officers Basic Course) in August to November 1965.  They did a drill where the team drove up in a jeep (M-151), set up, and fired a dummy round in less than a minute.

During that same period we saw the first mini guns..... and real /45-70 Gatlings with electric drives....., Mk 17 (?) automatic 40mm grenade launchers, and a itty bitty tank that fired both conventional and rocket rounds, and radar controlled anti-aircraft tank with dial machine guns.  I heard there was  version with AA rockets but never saw that one.

WE also fired a select fire M-14A1, a totally useless, clumsy, almost un-controlable POs that I was unlucky enough to have as my personal weapon at my next duty station, Ft. Lee, Va.  I was assigned as an instructor on this ugly beast and haven't liked any M-14 derivative since.

Also headed a group of six other instructors who taught M-60s, M-79s, Ma Deuce, and what to do in the case of a nuclear attack.

That was when I first encountered gamma goats and mechanical mules.  Never saw either on once I got in the field.

I can’t believe they actually fired the full auto M14 during R&D and still thought it was a good idea. :wacko:

I fired an M14 in auto. Uncontrollable. Maybe the first 2 or 3 rounds hits the target…at 25 yards. The rest join the Space Force. :lol:

Firing in short bursts is almost controllable. Almost. 

I really liked the M14 in semiauto. We had a bunch of them on my ship and only 2 set up for full auto. They were select fire, so not totally useless. 

R&D?  you mean someone actually fired it before buying a bunch of those stupid beasties?

I guess someone had to have in order to add on to the already stupid straight top pistol grip stock, a folding and very uncomfortable front pistol grip, a flip up thingy on the butt (that fit OVER the shoulder and served no purpose that I could ever figure out), a bipod, a muzzle brake / flash hider that didn't work for either of those purposes, and unexplained doohicky where the bayonet lug was supposed to be, and even had to use a BAR sling....and ended up with a twenty round p--- poor replacement for the BAR which weighed about the same and did a better job.

Somebody's relative got rich on that project.

We didn’t have any fancy launchers. Had to hump the damn thing in a backpack. Not fun.

2 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Heard of those, but always thought it was a "rumor" to upset the bad guys.

Not fun to jump with either. 

Archived